1974 Hilux Idling super High!

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Hilux and Stout Discussion' started by Ross McCredy, May 29, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Ross McCredy

Ross McCredy Newbie

Hi guys,

I'll apologize ahead of time for any super basic questions, but I'm new to all this and the info on this forum has really helped in the past.

So I recently replaced the clutch slave and master cylinder and everything seems to be working pretty well. But when I tried to drive it out of the garage this morning it was idling high and even kept chugging a little after I turned it off... Kinda scary...

I have the original owners repair guide and tried messing with the idle speed screw and the mixture screw, but that made things even worse. Now when I turn the truck on it just idles super high and I don't even feel like I've got time to mess with the screws before the truck explodes! I guess what I'm looking for is a way to get the idle wayyyy down; the guide says turn idle screw 2 1/2 turns from all the way in and I saw a video online saying to start with mixture screw 1 1/2 turns out from in, but neither of these seemed to work. Any idea how to get the rpms down?

Another thing I noticed, which may be the nail in the coffin for this truck, is when I was looking around at the carb I noticed a lot of white residue on the exhaust manifold(?) and what appears to be a gap between two sections; could this account for the high revving? I've never noticed this before, but its usually in a dark garage... Is this a pretty serious issue?

I've included a lot of pictures that will hopefully help, so if you're a Whiz with the old carbs, please give me some advice! even if it is "Sell it!" I really love the truck, but boy it's been a headache! I added text to the pictures to show which screws I've been considering what...

Thanks again for any advice and for bearing with me! IMG_1167.jpg IMG_1167.jpg IMG_1166.jpg IMG_1168.jpg IMG_1170.jpg IMG_1172.jpg

2. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    you have possibly knocked off a vacuum line may be off the brake booster, it also looks like a return spring on the carburettor is missing you can see the eye with no spring in it on the photo you labelled, in the centre left of the photo.
    The black soot it just a leaky exhaust gasket, and will not affect the way the engine runs you may be able to tighten it but chances are the bolts will be frozen. The white stuff could be anything something has been spilt or a cat pissed on it, will not effect your engine. good idea to move those wires they will get fried if you leave them there.

3. Ross McCredy

Ross McCredy Newbie

thanks for the reply! I went out yesterday after reading about a possible vacuum line being disconnected and sure enough one was loose and flopping around! I reconnected it and the truck idled like before! Glad it was such a simple fix! Also glad to hear the exhaust thing isn’t a real big issue! A few more tweaks and hopefully she’ll be ready to go!

4. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    I'll add. There is a thermo air bleed on the back of the carb and it's possible your bimetal choke control spring has given up. Might need to give the linkage a good cleaning as the high idle stepper cam be sticky. Just a few things I've had happen with my Celicas. Wish I had a '74!