1974 Barn Find RN22 Toyota Hilux

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by 74RN22, Oct 24, 2019.

1. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    So a funny thing happened earlier in the week. Monday I went and purchased this Old Truck that had been buried behind boxes of old family items as told to me by the Tow Truck driver in someone garage since 1989.

The grand-son, and the proud owner of a new pellet gun, tried his aim at the from and back windshield as that truck laid out of site on his grand-father.

As time passed by, family boxes of item hid that damage from site until the tow driver was contacted to remove the truck that the tow driver wanted to turn into a rock crawler, or add a solid axle under the front to make it a 4x4.

Trouble was finding parts on the east coast are hard for anything broken down in northern Georgia..

Craigslist, Barn find 1974 Toyota Pickup Truck, Motor stuck.. has to be towed from current location... He took 30 plus calls, all wanting to drive it back home.

He had already pulled the starter out and removed all of the mount bolts in preparation for an engine removal, but he did not know if the transmission (W-40) if a 20R or 22R would mount to that transmission. I made sure those dollars were warming his wallet really well and then told him, "yes", after I had the title in my hands and we had the truck loaded up, about to pull out of the driveway.

I figured that was basic knowledge if you are really, really into Toyota's... Didn't want to give him time on second thoughts...

The photo above if the spark plugs tell it all, 24,000 miles on the gauge did not tell the story behind the missing radiator, and the rust on the number 4 spark plug seen clearly within those pictures... My guess is that the former owner, blew a head gasket which caused the radiator to crack under pressure.

It sat a while before they got around to troubleshoot it, and that old rust ring had already formed. I'll know if i am right before the weekend...

Now why would I want to tackle a project like this in the first place, I wonder, why indeed... Spares, can't live without them...

So this morning I took and inspected the engine in the truck and pulled the plugs to get an idea of what would be required to bring this back to life with the least amount of time required.

This is option D.

More on that later...

I do like that the original plate due to expire in 1990 was still mounted to the tailgate license bracket. The tires do hold air with the little rubber stubs of once new tires on the rusted rims. I still have to pull the spare down and inspect that.

Hood is bent in the passenger back corner and that sides window regulator is broken. Doors no longer squeak when opened. WD-40 and time clears that noise up. Now i'm hunting a windshield front and rear glass. I know where I can find one in Southern California so road trip in my plans ASAP...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

David Eidson and Pearce like this.
  2. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    [​IMG]

This is the engine that I will possibly install this weekend. 18RG Option A.

3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Damn that looks like itl clean up pretty good! Nice find and good luck getting it roadworthy

4. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    Thank you Joseph for stopping by today and assisting me with the safe removal of this 18RC this afternoon... :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
    (More than two people so that someone could call 911 if the old guy dropped this on his bad foot..)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Left the transmission in the truck because I needed more room to dispose of the Hazardous Glop that slowly flowed from the drain plug. The first part was water and coolant, lots of coolant then the slow drip of 30 year old glop!!
    [​IMG]

Rusted so bad that you can see it in the manifolds, the aluminum intake manifold....
    [​IMG]

Pearce likes this.
  5. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    So today is a rainy day under the carport, it is still dry enough to disassemble the old 18RC engine.

I wanted to verify the cause of the engine failure before sending things to the storage area or to the machine shop. The previous owner must have broken off one of the engine mount bolts on the dipstick side and later welded a plate across the broken bolt hole to one of the air con mount holes and attached a bolt to secure that mess of an engine bracket; but, thirty years ago, metric hardware may have been not easy to find. It worked for him but will not work for me. First chance I get I’m going to drill it out and chase the threads to cleanup and corrosion in that area.

Tools must have been also hard to find based on the amount of rounded bolts on this thing. Bolt to the distributor hold-down, where you would adjust your timing. It was so bad that it was unable to be removed until after I had removed the cylinder head and fuel pump to get access with a pair of vise grips. Same thing with the bolts hold the alternator and the bolt for adjusting the alternator.

It was a good day to work on something outside of the house for a change.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pearce likes this.
  6. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    Wednesday:
    Got a late start this afternoon and continued the tear-down of the “Glop Block”…
    Nothing else to say…

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Who poured pudding in the engine?

8. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    Thirty year old oil and coolant mixed up possibly as it failed...It's not Jello...Sticks to everything, I hope that the crank is still good, if so that's off to the machine shop for polishing!

The block I'm not so worried about, I've got a spare or two.

Got to pull the 18RC from the Celica since the bottom chain tensioner failed.

Pearce likes this.
  9. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    "he did not know if the transmission (W-40) if a 20R or 22R would mount to that transmission. I made sure those dollars were warming his wallet really well and then told him, "yes"

That's great. Should of done a motor swap in his driveway lol.

10. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    Forum post possible answers:

1. Yeah, I was out of there like a carpet backer before the war…

2. Wrong part of Georgia to be acting like a fool…

3. Too deep in those woods for someone to come looking for me.

4. East of the Alabama highway, you can’t find that on a map anywhere

5. You’re not from around here son, mind your manners…

6. Deer season just started last week, get the hint son…

7. Mommy on that porch is a better shot then all of us…

03:25 P.M.

The rains started again, but no worries. I drained the Glop and removed Oil pump and then the crank from the block, wrapped it in a trash bag and set it aside.

Left the Pistons in the bores and attempted to spray the inside of the block with two cans of brake cleaner, hoping that it would remove some of this glop.

Nope!!!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    Pearce likes this.
  11. KS.ID

KS.ID Enthusiast

Truck:
    RN22 1972 Hilux
    Great story! What I love the most is that sweet RN22 graphic on the side. Never seen that before!
    Also the bumper bars on the front are so classy!

jetas and 74RN22 like this.
  12. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thinking about a transmission change

13. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
  14. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    Update:

I believe this block has to be hot tanked since I did try the chemical method first and then the strong arm mallet way with the 1 inch by 16 inch length nylon impact drift that I used from my traveling tech days.

They worked driving out stuck turbo element removals without failure...

Note: ( ) equals thought bubbles..So if This offends anyone, please do not read any farther...

(Maybe the arm has lost it's impact driven rage it once had...Sad!!)

It was early and I couldn't state the curse words too loud or at all as a car load of Church ladies decided that my efforts, Looked like I needed to hear the word of the lord, as I'm standing there hammer in my hand

I tried to syck my attack cat on them, to make them leave but she ran for the hills as soon as they pulled into the driveway. Oh No, Witnesses!!

(No!!! what common sense has to be turned off when its ten thirty on the morning and your driving along try to gain more members to come to your church and you suddenly decide, let us stop at that driveway an approach the angry Black guy swinging a hammer at an engine block)

( I think that he may be in the mood to hear the word of the lord first thing this morning.) (They approached with their best greeting, as I'm standing there like mommy caught me doing something wrong, so now I'm like hiding this five pound sledge hammer from my swinging position for it to end up somewhere, kind of behind my back, that was getting heavy now so, now I have to set it down.)

You then realize that you now have to answer someones questions and attempt not to be rude.. She she continues yapping something about words and stuff, I finally said something like.. I'm sorry, I was a preachers son, and I'm kind of burnt out on the whole flock stuff an I don't do people or crowds!! (Yack yack) then I said on the calmest of voices,

Please leave!! (Exact word statement)

Please, you are taking away my angue that's needed to remove stuff!!

After they left, I realized that the moment was gone, I just picked up my tools and went inside.. I had forgotten the golden rule, It's saturday, you hide when the doorbell rings until Sunday and do anything outdoors when folks are at church...

Pearce likes this.
  15. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I had the JW's come knocking on my door the other week. I was going to close the door on the old lady on the other side then I noticed my old boss beside her. I opened it up and talked for a minute. Mostly about work and getting me back. Pretty sure he is missing my welds. Funny thing it was a monday. Told my boss he had come knocking on my door. He was like how does he have time to be doing that?

74RN22 likes this.
  16. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    Sometime it is from the protection of a good woman standing between a former employee and a former manager that words could be shared, without offending the "Go-Between". Unless it was for an additional increase up the pay scale, you did right and kept it casual...

How does he have time to do that, under the heading, "Community Service"

17. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    Well, parts are starting to trickle in:
    1. Shocks front and rear
    2. Idler and Pitman arms
    3. Clutch Master cylinder
    4. Ball Joints upper and lower
    5. Weather strip for doors
    6. Windshield rubber
    7. Tie-rod ends
    8. Rear Windshield Water Weatherstrip Seal For Toyota Hilux RN20 1972 - 1978
    9. Centric Brake Master Cylinder For Toyota Hi-Lux 1972 1973 1974
    10. Sliding rear Glass frame with glass

Still awaiting:
    1. TOYOTA Hilux RN20 25 Pickup Truck Louver Assy Roof Side Vent Pair 62960-62970

Still have to order the windshield, found a source nearby (Atlanta, Ga) Just got to confirm this lead before I order.

I already have the important stuff here:
    1. Lighten flywheel
    2. Performance clutch
    3. Throw-out bearing
    4. Pilot bearing
    5. New starter
    6. New Alternator
    7. Header (Jet-Hot, Ceramic coated)(Right 18RG header - Left 2T, 3T, 2TG Header)

[​IMG]

I need to go pickup stuff to clean the engine bay and lots of brake cleaner to remove the crap out of the transmission Bell Housing.

The engine I'll be installing...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  18. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    I think I'm gonna have problems with the transmission cross member...

Pearce likes this.
  19. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Looks good. When the person before me swapped the 20r in they hacked up the cross member. I need to do some reinforcing.

74RN22 likes this.
  20. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    Do you have a photo of what they did so that I can see what to avoid.

The reason I have not moved forward with installing the five speed attached is because of the position which I have to look and see if they provided a point farther back to bolt the Transmission cross member.

Page reference to the W-50 Tranny:
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~stepho/manuals/Toyota/gearbox W50/

I believe this would place the shifter into the bench seat.
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~stepho/manuals/Toyota/gearbox W50/p005Intro.jpg
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~stepho/manuals/Toyota/gearbox W50/p02Disassembly.jpg

I do not have that extension piece on my tranny. (Item 22) Plus I thought it faced the opposite direction.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019