1971 Hilux

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by koich, Nov 20, 2010.

1. koich

koich Member

Truck:
    1971 RN12
    I recently acquired a '71 Toyota Hilux truck. Something I wanted all the time.
    Has it's dings and dents from years of work. Some cancer on the passenger floor board, and potentially the driver side too. But generally decent for a old utility vehicle. It runs, but will need attention here and there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Haven't made any concrete plans for it yet, but it will need to carry light loads in the back every once in a while.

Anyhow, I decided to work on the truck a little today. Removing the rear bumper.

When purchased, the truck came with a rear utility bumper.

[​IMG]

Didn't need the extra weight, and wanted to make it look simple, so it was a easy decision to remove.

The bumper is bolted to the frame with 4 bolts and also bolted to the bed via 2 smaller bolts. The 4 bolts loosened up via WD40 and a breaker bar, but the smaller bolts that were holding up the rear end of the bumper was rusted hard. Plus they were flat head bolts and too small to put force on them. So out comes the grinder!

[​IMG]

Wheee! This is fun! Haven't done this in a while! Look at all these sparks! I should take a picture! So I take my glove off my right hand, hold my iPhone while I hold the grinder with my other hand. BAD IDEA. lol

I can't see where I'm grinding and end up with a small cut on my rear fender arch. :(
    Well, at least I got a picture. You can see the cut on the right to the grinder wheel....

[​IMG]

Anyhow, after wrenching, the bumper finally comes off.

[​IMG]

Man, this rear bumper is HEAVY!! It actually raised the rear height up an inch or so!
    But it looks much better now.

[​IMG]

So now that the bumper is off, I moved my attention to the driver side door. The door handle from the outside does not work. Nor does the door lock. So I took the interior panel off to check. Just when doing so, I noticed something I didn't notice before....

[​IMG]

Looks like a previous owner had some cracks along the door latch and spot welded it. When doing so, he spot welded on top of the latch screws.... So now I gotta either find another door, or come up with some kind of magic to fix this.

Also noticed that there's only 1 rear mudflap, and it's the original Toyota one. Cool.

[​IMG]

The other side is missing, and the mud flap base was mangled. Need to hammer it back into shape.

[​IMG]

That's about it for today.... I'll try to update this as I work on the truck.

2. Inertia

Inertia Enthusiast

good job i looks better with out that bumper are you going to swap another bumper or keep it like that ?

3. koich

koich Member

Truck:
    1971 RN12
    Thanks.

I'm gonna keep it like that. I've always liked 2WD pickups with no rear bumpers.

4. mrwizard

mrwizard Member

Truck:
    1970 Hilux
    yeah, they didn't come with rear bumpers stock. it was a factory option to purchase it with the utility bumper yours has or it could be ordered after-market. i think they look good without the rear bumper. looks great, koich.

5. koich

koich Member

Truck:
    1971 RN12
    Thanks.

Yeah, most likely a dealer or aftermarket option. Definitely not a OEM part.

First thing is first. I need to get the truck running in good order. Looking at getting a 32/36 Weber, and need a new muffler. (or at least fix the hole in it until I settle on what motor I really want)

I also heard that the hubs bolt off and the front discs can easily swap out with the later RN2x disc brakes? All I need to do is pick the brakes, lines, proportioning valve and master? Has anyone done this?

6. powertech

powertech Enthusiast

Truck:
    1970 hilux
    a few hundred bucks and a week of work you could have that engine room looking like new. gut it clean it and hand paint it and polish the little parts and throw some of the rats nest stuff you don't need to make the engine run away.

i painted my engine block in frame and it looks like new, just use little paint brushed like water color brushes

get hand fulls of new nuts and bolts off of crashed cars at the junk yard for free to help clean it up.

i see how your whole dash is gone. if that was mine i would get some fiber glass and bondo and work on making a cap for it. it would be a pain in the @ss but with allot of work, a simple cap with a rolled edge could be made.

I love the truck and good call on the dorky bumper, she is going to be nice.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  7. koich

koich Member

Truck:
    1971 RN12
    Yeah, that engine room is definitely looking ratty. Will clean it up. In my previous '71 Celica build, I did a entire motor swap (F20C/S2000), smoothed the engine bay and tucked all the wires. So I have a general sense of what I'd like to do.

[​IMG]

Not going to go all high tech as I did in the past though.

The dash is a major issue. I might try to make a fiber glass cap. Never worked with fiberglass before, so that'll be a learning process for me.

Thanks for the comment on the rear bumper. I like things simple, and since this truck wont' see any major hard work (just quick runs to home depot or IKEA), it won't need the huge arse bumper and hitch.

8. powertech

powertech Enthusiast

Truck:
    1970 hilux
    OH i see, you got it under control by the looks of that Celica.

You know what might work . is look at all of the various coverlay plastic dash covers.or other makes if there are any.

And find a model of dash that is simple and flat ,then trim it to fit.that toyota dash is so small you could just about make two of them from some old 70's american boat.

9. swapmeet

swapmeet Enthusiast

Not sure why, but I can't see 99% of your pics. :(

My truck came with the utility bumper as well. First thing to go, I ended up twisting the heads off the 2 bolts in the sides, similar rust issues.

Hope you can fix your pics, I'd like to follow this build your celica was something else. I imagine a guy with your kind of taste and attention to detail is gonna make a impressive little lux.

Besides... I need to steal your ideas for my engine bay!!!

10. koich

koich Member

Truck:
    1971 RN12

Wow, not sure why my pictures aren't showing up either. I guess the links are broken? Can't go and edit the original text, so I'm not sure how I can fix this... Here is the link to the pictures though:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/koich/sets/72157625305462252/

BTW, I LOVE your truck. Found out about it through a friend of mine in Japan who visited SEMA, and sent me pix of your truck on display. Funny coincidence.

My build for the truck will be SLOW. The Celica was built in 6 months, but this truck will be built slow. Not sure how much I'm gonna do on the truck either. Still walking in the garage, looking at the truck and thinking. Eventually I just have to dive at it, but don't have the huge pockets to jump at it yet.

The Celica was built at a friend's house that was well equipped with tools. My truck will be built at my house, where I'm slowly accumulating tools, so it'll be a while....

11. koich

koich Member

Truck:
    1971 RN12
    Very very small update. lol

As we know, our trucks came with rubber mudflaps. If you have the original one, it should say Toyota in Katakana (one of the three writing styles other than Kanji and Hiragana in Japanese). Like this:

[​IMG]

The problem with my car is, I only have the right side. The left side is completely gone, and the base was mangled.

[​IMG]

So, before I even go and try to locate another mudflap, I need to flatten it out. Pulled out my locking pliers, vice and hammer. I'm a complete amateur at bodywork, so this is a good practice. At least to make it flat. Didn't think too much about metal expansion etc. Anyhow, I think it got so-so flat:

[​IMG]

Now I need to grind this down to metal and primer it. Satisfying result for 10 mins of work. :)

12. Shifty

Shifty Member

Truck:
    RN16
    Certainly an improvement!

13. powertech

powertech Enthusiast

Truck:
    1970 hilux
  14. kingtoy

kingtoy Enthusiast

Truck:
    1993 Toyota std cab, 1977 Hilux
    The funny thing about this is I have a good left but my right side is a little trashed. Wouldn't mind getting a replacement myself.

15. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    i used a bench vise to flatten out some metal before, pretty neat method.

and good luck, i like this! my mudflaps occasionally drag. now they're trimmed from miles of hauling stuff

16. Shifty

Shifty Member

Truck:
    RN16
    Most important thing is to go "softly softly"... don't hit with a hard metal hammer on a hard metal surface. A Nylon hammer and wooden backing is the best option. Slower, but you won't mark the metal as easily... just reshape it.