1970 TOYOTA Hilux history

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by max madrid, Jun 25, 2020.

1. max madrid

max madrid Newbie

Truck:
    1970 Toyota Hilux / 1985 Toyota SR5 xcab long-bed / 1990 4Runner
    So hey guys i'm going to talk about how i got a hold of my hilux real quick...

When i was 13-15 my dad had a really clean 1969 Datsun 521 pickup that was all original on slots that was going to be my first car and i fell in love with it. Yet we had to sell it for a little cash for some old hotrod parts for my dads 1932 3 window, i was devastated. So at 16 i was still really rung up on the truck and i wanted to find a truck just like it or even cooler, So when i was walking from school to covina for some lunch i walked past this house and saw a green little car. Me thinking "Oh hey This might be a cool car" then i saw it a green little truck and i thought "I found some REALLY cool" I got closer and i didnt see the logo but i saw it wasn't a Datsun or a Mazda beacasue it had indicator lights on the driver quarter panel. So i immediately called my dad saying " Hey i found something really cool and might be really rare" Him thinking i was talking out my ass and he told me to go talk to the owner of it and find out whats up with it. So i walk up to door and spoke with the owner, His name was Steven an old gentleman that looked crazy and told me the whole story behind the truck he said " well, This has been to our name since it came off the lot and was given to me since my parents since my parents got sick. So i made it my daily driving it from Covina to San Bernadino yet had to park it in the back in 83 after i blew the 4 speed trans with only having 35k miles on the original 8Rc motor" Then i Freaked out. I then asked him "how much do you want "then he said well its covered with stuff in but here's my info for the tuck" He really wanted to get the stuff out so he could have more room for his stuff. So rushed back home with photos of the truck to my dad and he saw then a was baffled at what kind of truck it was then i told him it was a hilux, he was tripped out because of the year and the body style it was. So i took my dad back to see the truck and he was looking at something that was around when he was a kid but didn't remember it. So i worked out a deal with Steven on the spot " Hey ill clean the back yard and pull the truck out for $1000 and take the extra 20R Motor and 5 speed celica gt trans." and my dad at me with a stupid face and Steven said "deal" then my dad was shocked because i got a steal. So when i finally pulled it out it was on the 24 of April the day before my 18th when i got it out i was a kid in a candy shop i saw it with all the dirt and rust and i said to myself "My first project" when i got home with it the first thing i did was washed it and pulled all the rats nest out of the engine bay and looked at what we were dealing with me not knowing how big of a project it might be, we got some gas and a new battery and the truck fired right up after sitting for 35 years and i was jumping for joy. So now after 2 years of having it a lot has been done to it mechanically and work on by a Old Jdm head named denzmechanic because we had no idea where to get parts because we haven't been exposed to the jdm like how we are now. We had the Trans swapped for the 5 speed, an 85 pickup disk break conversion in the front, we shortened the driveshaft,and updated all of the wires and changed out anything necessary for the engine. So we are still working on it slowly because we have my daily truck that still needed to have work done to it, so now im going to start back on it and do something thats never been done to a hilux and i feel like ill get a cool crowd. Plus yes this is the same green hilux that was up for a ton of money on craigslist haha

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  2. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Nice ride.

max madrid likes this.
  3. max madrid

max madrid Newbie

Truck:
    1970 Toyota Hilux / 1985 Toyota SR5 xcab long-bed / 1990 4Runner
    thanks man its almost there i just need a few more things done!

4. macawilial

macawilial Veteran

Truck:
    89 4x4 sold. 90 4runner 4x4 sold. 92 bagged sold. 81 longbed sold. 72 RN14...keeping
    You still have the original radio! That's awesome!

max madrid likes this.