18rc to 22r motor mount issues

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by dillinja666, Mar 1, 2010.

1. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    ok so im trying to put a 22r into my 73. Im having issues right now with the motor mounts. They dont line up with the mounts on the frame. Ive tried all combinations I can think of between the 22r mounts and the 18r mounts. Ive tired the 18r brackets on the 22r mounts. Ive tried one 18R and one 22R bracket. The darn thing just wont line up. Its like the brackets make the mounts sit too far out. I tried solid mounting it ( brackets with no mounts ) and it almost fit, was 3/8th of an inch gap on each side. This also slid the motor waaay forward or waaay backward because I was mounting a single bolt through where the rubber mounts screw in...
    :brickknock: :brickknock: :brickknock: :brickknock: :brickknock:
    So basically, what did you guys do to mount your 22r blocks in your 73 frames?

2. Comrade_Charlie

Comrade_Charlie Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Hilux
    what happened to the 18r, sry cant help you with your problem.

3. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    its sitting on the floor next to my tool box in my stall at work. why you need something off of it?

4. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    when i swapped a 20r into my 74 corona i used 75 eng mounts, got lucky at a junkyard and grabbed em.

might have to use 75 mounts for a bolt in, maybe hack yours up a bit or make em. its only 3 bends and 4 holes for the hard ones.

5. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    im going to have to cut my brackets then to make everything fit...The junkyards here are huge, and i dont have time to be pulling a motor there to get the mounts... this should be interesting, i might do a write up..

6. northoak

northoak Member

sup, trying to revive this ancient thread 13 years later to ask, what did you end up doing? Trying to figure out how to do a 18rc to 22r swap on my 74 chinook. come back to us dilinja666! lol

7. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    Not sure what the OP did, but it's an easy fix if you don't mind cutting ang welding(best way really). The 18R was a little narrower than the 22R. Cut the mounts off the crossmember, bolt them to the 22r and tack 'em in place. Remove the block and weld them in place.
    The time spent jackin' around with combinations that don't really fit right anyway, and tend to be a bitch later down the road will take more time and effort than just doing it right the first time. Save yourself the headache.

8. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    I don't mean to argue with your actual experience but I put an 18RG into my 1979 Celica that had a 20R. It was a simple plug-n-play. Even the transmission mount lined up.

I thought the 20R and 22R blocks were identical except for the bore and a few other minor things so I would have assumed the 18RC -> 22R swap would be just as simple...

jetas likes this.
  9. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    My truck had a 20R swapped in when i got it, swapped in a 22R block using the brackets that were on the 20 along with new rubber mounts. I had to convince the rubber mounts to sit right and bolt up BUT they went on and i removed and reinstalled the engine a few times since then.

10. northoak

northoak Member

late reply but what year is yr rig? seems like the issue folks run into is the narrow frames of pre 75 trucks like my 74?

jetas likes this.
  11. northoak

northoak Member

I'm currently trying to track down some 75 mounts based on what ShoNuff said in the 4th post on this thread. Can anyone confirm that 20r mounts from a 75 is the way? if so couldn't mounts from any 75-78 work to swap out an 18rc from a pre 75 truck with the narrower frame?

asking because there is a 76 at pick n pull about 45min away and im not sure if those mounts could do the job.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2023
  12. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    Could be that '75 was a transitional year where the 18R and 20R were both available. I 'think' the 20R was available as an option in '75, possibly '74. Didn't become a Celica or Corona engine until '75 and there was no option in the USDM market for any other engine there. Putting a 22R block in my '75 Celica was simple enough. Never got around to swapping my '71 PU, just built the 18RC, and later upgraded that to the RB trim.

13. northoak

northoak Member

This makes sense. Is your thinking that maybe 75's still had the narrower frame rails and were fitted with unique motor mounts, thus those have worked for folks swapping a 22r into a pre-75 truck? If only I had even more toyotas to measure lol

14. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    If i knew which motor mount brackets i have on mine id tell you. I used the mounts that were on the 20R and just slapped em on the 22R and everything fit. Originally this thing had an 18R

my truck is a '72

Last edited: Apr 14, 2023
  15. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    Not necessarily narrower frame rails, but adapting to the 18R mounts. Maybe planned to have an option for a few more years. The Celica was offered with the 2TG, 18RG/B/C, and the 20R for the transitional period. With the Ce;ica though, the crossmember that fit the engine was all you needed to change.
    As for the frame rails? I don't think that changed until '78 when Toyota revamped the whole truck.

16. SmokieJoe

SmokieJoe Newbie

Truck:
    1974 Hilux
    Any luck on this? Im getting ready to do the same swap, '74 Hilux 18RC to an '85 22R. I was under the impression any R-series motor should basically bolt right in. After reading some threads on the topic I decided I should double check and took some "quick and dirty" measurements. Here's some photos with how I came up with these numbers.

Distance from the bell housing mating surface to center hole on brackets(back to front), both motors measure roughly 14.25"

IMG_8842.jpeg IMG_8841.jpeg

Across the front from center hole to center hole the 18RC was narrower at 13.5" and the 22R was 15.5"

IMG_8849.jpeg IMG_8850.jpeg IMG_8845.jpeg

The engine mounts themselves are slightly different but appear to have the same hole spacing and thickness.

IMG_8862.jpeg

I will post more findings as they come.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2023
  17. northoak

northoak Member

I have not tackled my chinook motor situation but sure hope to this summer! Please post what you find out! I'll be watching this thread to see how things go!