4 LINK... Forward vs Reverse

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by Suthrn98, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Suthrn98

Suthrn98 Member

All I have ever installed is forward, but I see alot of people with Yotas running a reverse. Whats the pros and cons to running a reverse, or should I just go with what I know and re-locate my gas tank? Truck was aquired with a 2 link, and I know that's not staying long at all..

2. planemos

planemos Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 2wd Xtra-Cab,98 2wd Xtra-Cab, 1988 Toyota Supra turbo
    This has been discussed many times. Try searching on here and on customtacos.com

Reverse is not as good as forward when you start to have high power engines.

3. eurofreak2002

eurofreak2002 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    80 STD SR5 LB, bagged! The new whip!
    Lit swears by his setup and its done him great. I was going to do the same one with a few minor tweaks but decided to do the forward. Its not really a which is better its what your overall plans are in the future for power, tracking, driving conditions, how your bag setup is gonna be. I know tons of people hate them yet tons of people like them. Its all preference based I suppose

4. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Forward plants the rear tires--------all others will cause lift-----------or cancel out one another!!:cool:

5. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    My first bagged truck was an 03 silverado. It had a reverse for 3 days. It was so un driveable that we cut it off and back halved it with a 4 link setup and a watts link. I've driven a few other trucks with reverse links and the all handled like poo. Don't do it!

6. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Listen... Do what is comfortable for you. I am not here to convince anyone that the reverse four link is the best option for their project. If you have any questions about any four link setup, I've built a bunch of them and can answer any questions that arise. If I don't know the answer, I'll probably know where to look for it.

I chose the reverse four link for two reasons. First, it allowed the retention of the stock fuel tank location. Maybe not a great reason, but the second reason was stubbornness on my part. I was sick of the yahoos that didn't know much about the reverse four link repeating the same old arguments about why it wouldn't work and why you'd be an idiot for trying it. Frankly, it does what it is supposed to do. Would I put a lot of horsepower in front of it? Don't know, I currently have a 22re that dynos around 70 hp to the wheels...
    Does Cando's setup lift or squat during acceleration or braking? None to speak of. Definitely not anymore than it did with the leaf springs.
    There is something to be said of the design of the reverse setup, you can't just slap it together like a forward setup.

So, my best advice is to do your homework, I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about either setup.

7. Under Construction '93

Under Construction '93 Addict

Truck:
    1993 Std Pickup
    Forward 4-link is hands down the way to go. I wont say anything more than that. :cool:

8. Suthrn98

Suthrn98 Member

I've built several trucks, and everyone I have built, I've done a fwd and moved everything to behind the axle. That's probably what I'm going to do to this truck. I've talked to a few other folks besides on here, and we have all come to the conclusion that a fwd is going to be my best option. Thanks for the input!

9. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    This is not a question of what anyone thinks works or not!
    It's physics/engineering,you can not change what is!
    Do it right & do it once or pay out more $$$$ & FIX IT!:cool:

10. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic Addict

Truck:
    '79 4x4,'89 short-bed 2wd, '85 4Runner
    I agree that the forward 4 link is undoubtedly the right way to do it, but I wonder about the exact physics/engineering. Where the problems come into play and what you can do in your design to avoid them. There are some applications where for whatever reason a person might want to go with a reverse 4 link. I wonder what is the determining factor between one being undriveable as described in this thread or one that works fine as there are obviously some out there that do. Maybe someone has some good links as this is a long debated topic, but most of what I have seen as far as arguments against it is just "It's bad, don't do it!"...

11. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab