HOW TO: Clutch master flip under dash.

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by Under Construction '93, May 7, 2013.

1. Under Construction '93

Under Construction '93 Addict

Truck:
    1993 Std Pickup
    Hope this is considered the right sub-forum.

Step 1: Remove pedal assembly. This is what it looks like.

[​IMG]

Step 2: I measured the width and height overall and shaped a piece of flat 1/4 plate and shaped it to fit flat against the existing assembly (12x12 1/4 $12 or so) Also have to relief cut around the brake swith to make it easier to remove later.

[​IMG]

Before the final fitment and cut for brake switch.

[​IMG]

After

I can give exact measurments if needed. When I did the drop down part for the master to mount to, i tried to keep the centerline even with the pedal hole pivot point. Once you get it all lined up, punch the master holes in your plate, i accounted for space for the fitting to go in and also kept it low enough to clear the top once in the truck. Once fitment is done, weld er up!

[​IMG]

Step 3: I threaded down the rod about another inch or so to give a little more clearance under the dash and built my cross section off of that. Make sure you do this before going further as it will change your measurments. I believe the die is 8mm x 1.25 but dont quote me on that.:eek:

[​IMG]

Step 4: after you got the baseplate all set and the plunger rod threaded and cut down its time to build the cross section. I made mine out of 3/16 scrap we had laying around the shop. For the part that bolts to the pedal i cut a half moon out of it where it was contacting the pedal during pivoting. The pedal is somewhat bent and the edge would bind a bit. The rest is self explanitory. Just take all your measurment twice and cut once. Also make sure the plunger rod on the master is square when your measuring. You want it to plunge as square as possible.

The piece that attaches to clutch pedal.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Building the cross section one piece at a time...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Step 5: Once you have your cross section tacked together its time for the locating dowel. Some people used solid dowel, but I didnt think it neccisary as there is not much side to side force on it. Square up your linkage and plunger rod and mark for your dowel and guide hole. Once you have it tacked in bolt it all up and check for binding/ straightness etc.

[​IMG]

Once your sure its good, get to welding...;)

Step 6: i built my gussets out of 1/8 scrap and welded them in. Kinda fell off on pics in that section but you need the cross section to be strong as it will see the most pressure. After gussets were in I re-assembled everything one last time and checked how it worked. Once all was well gave her a quick spray bomb and voila!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After its back in the truck and I get my Z done I'll cut out whats needed to clear the tub from the old mounting location.

Oh, and link to final operation video:20130507_142056_zpsdd0b12ca.mp4 Video by pumpkinpirate13 | Photobucket

Hope this helps some others on the site as I didnt have too much to go by when I started. Its not too hard of a project. I can fab somewhat and had no probs at all. As for my welds :eek::eek::eek: Not the prettiest but strong none the less.:cool: Let me know what you guys think or if any more info is needed.

2. Xs5875

Xs5875 Addict

Truck:
    1994 Standard cab 22re 5 spd
    Only thing I did differently is where the part bolts to the actual pedal....I used a 1/4" spacer with nylon washers on either side...it allowed me to not have to notch it. But it works.

It sucks, but I found it was not necessary to run a line to the firewall or out of a vent in order to fill it up. Lets face it, thee things RARELY leak. So for the inital fill/bleed, we used a funnel with a long tube, and used my girl hands to reach in their and pop the cap on/off.

3. mutinytattoo

mutinytattoo Member

Truck:
    91 toyota pickup bagged on 20s
    I just did mine this way yesterday as well.. fairly easy task.. my only question is. I tubbed my firewall and with the truck aired out my tire is an inch maybe a lil more from the top part of the tub.. im gonna start a sfbd soon so ill prob have to cut the tub out more and redo it but how much of the clutch/brake bracket did u have to cut out to clear for the body drop u did?

4. Under Construction '93

Truck:
    1993 Std Pickup
    I haven't cut mine yet. Waiting until the Z is done. I'm not bd.

5. mutinytattoo

mutinytattoo Member

Truck:
    My bad that was meant for xs5875

6. mutinytattoo

mutinytattoo Member

Truck:
    I spent all night looking at both of u guys build threads... my hell they are way nice and done very well

7. Xs5875

Xs5875 Addict

Truck:
    1994 Standard cab 22re 5 spd
    PM'd ya mutunytattoo. Don't wanna clutter up UC93's thread.

8. Under Construction '93

Truck:
    1993 Std Pickup

9. Under Construction '93

Truck:
    1993 Std Pickup
    ;);););)