New member 83 4x4 pickup

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Mitchell Williams, Jun 1, 2023.

1. Mitchell Williams

Mitchell Williams Newbie

Truck:
    83 Toyota Pickup SR5
    KIMG0822~2.jpeg IMG_1326.jpeg Thanks for the add. Currently in San Antonio, TX. Playing with an 83 Pickup shortbed. Being that this is my toy I come up with new things to try/modify all the time trying to make it “mine”.

Interior

I’ve added a simple dual radio headunit with Rockford Fosgate amp and 10” sub.
    Bedliner in the cab.
    Stainless homemade door panels.
    6 gang rocker switch unit.
    Hand throttle linked to gas pedal.

Future Interior

Bigger center console is my first item. Not sure beyond that, but I’m sure something will develop.

Exterior

Homemade front and rear bumpers. Drew them up on CAD and had a friend cut them on a water jet. Lots of grinding and painting.

Currently running 17” Vision D-window wheels, but switching to 15” Western Mag Turbines when the current tires wear out.

Modifications

This truck came stock with A/C. Was interested in A/C compressor on-board air systems. The factory pump was working, but worn out. Snagged a few new compressors and made a new bracket to fit two compressors. The lower is the air compressor and the upper will be the A/C compressor once I find the time to get it all hooked up. 10 gallon air tank under the bed with quick connect air fittings tucked between the cab and the bed. I can run a pneumatic impact and runs that surprisingly well.

Weber 32/36 carburetor. EGR delete.

LCE long tube headers. Air injection delete. Custom exhaust build out. Was originally going to make the same run as factory but stubbed it out just behind the cab to make room for an air tank for the OBA setup.

Wishlist

I find new things I’d like to do to it daily. Main things are driveline. Lock the rear and regear to 4.88 ring and pinion.

High steer conversion along with RUF and Chevy 63 swap.

If I had an infinite budget I would like dual transfer cases but I don’t really plan to crawl it hard, if at all. Maybe upgrading the t-case to 4.7 gears from the original 2.28 eventually.

Would like to repaint also. The paint was a home job from a previous owner and it’s starting to fail. Would likely keep the same color, just freshen it up.

If/when the 22R fails my dad has an old C30 dually with a 350 and a 4 speed Muncie “Rockcrusher” sitting in a field. Would have to convert to 4x4 but would love to have that setup in the truck. Would take a good bit to rebuild but would be a fun project.

That’s all I have for now. Thanks for reading if you’ve made it this far.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2023
    Erwin Merida and Perkolator like this.
  2. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    Welcome, man thats alot.

3. Mitchell Williams

Mitchell Williams Newbie

Truck:
    83 Toyota Pickup SR5
    Mostly little things outside the A/C-on board air. That was a pretty big project. Fun to play with and learn as you go type thing.

Frinzo likes this.
  4. LOTOTA-1988

LOTOTA-1988 Newbie

Truck:
    1988 Toyota Pickup 2WD
    Welcome! Sounds like you found the perfect place to share

Mitchell Williams likes this.
  5. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Welcome aboard