Missing hoses

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by shawnz82, Sep 7, 2022.

1. shawnz82

shawnz82 Newbie

Truck:
    '86, 2wd, 22r, 5 speed
    Hi. I bought my truck with a Weber carb set up. It seems to be missing hoses but I am not sure where they go, I'm not an expert with these things but always learning. Can anyone tell me what it is missing? It definitely smells a lot more than my stock carb'ed truck I once had so I believe there are emissions issues with this set up as well.

22r.JPG

2. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Well, there are three obvious sources of gas fumes, those three open element air filters.

The open element air filter will let the evaporating gas in the float bowl just evaporate into the atmosphere.

The little cam cover vents let the crankcase vent to the atmosphere as well.

Not much you can do unless you reinstall the stock air filter housing, carbon canister with its vent valving, pcv valve and hose to the intake manifold, and reinstall the cam cover vent hose to the stock air filter housing.

And, I see you're from California, so your truck will fail smog check as it is. Finally, AFAIK, there is no smog legal weber for 1984+ trucks so you'll have to get a stock carb as well... Sorry for being such a Debbie downer...

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
  3. shawnz82

shawnz82 Newbie

Truck:
    '86, 2wd, 22r, 5 speed
    yes i want to re-install it back to stock but i don't know exactly what I need or what goes where. if someone can help re-paint my picture with what I need, I would appreciate it. also, why has it been removed? does it help the carb or motor "work" better?

can i keep the weber carb and just add in all the other stuff and at least reduce the emissions? or does that not work with the weber set up?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
  4. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    Yes, it helps carbureted cars and trucks to run better. Because carburetors are mainly mechanical devices, a lot of add-on "band-aids" and tuning compromises are slapped on to meet emissions limits. That's why everyone went to electronic fuel injection; it's much easier to just tweak a computer.

As for returning it to stock, you WILL need a factory service manual to see what parts you need and how everything is hooked up. There is a reason everyone complains about the "spaghetti of hoses".

What year is your truck? And do you have smog check?

5. shawnz82

shawnz82 Newbie

Truck:
    '86, 2wd, 22r, 5 speed
    1986. its mainly for me, im sensitive to fumes and I even smell it as i am driving and tired of it. i think i'd rather just go EFI than to re-install the stock carburetor though. price isn't a factor as long as I aint doing the work!

6. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    If you're smelling gas when your driving, you should check for a gas leak.

If you are subject to smog check, it could become a PITA to modify anything, even if your mods make your truck cleaner. I'd guess, at the very least, you'd have to go to the smog check referee and hope they sign off on an EFI upgrade.

I have a 1988, carbureted truck which is similar to yours and the only CARB approved modification I'm aware of is the LCE or Doug Thorley smog-legal header...

7. Ponyryd

Ponyryd Enthusiast

Looks like you’re missing several hoses, and what a nice clean engine bay because of it, lol.
    First step is to check for a catalytic converter, if that’s missing you will have some fumes getting out the exhaust, otherwise tuning will play a huge role in how it runs and smells, I’m cure in Cali there are still plenty of guys who can tune carbs, take it to one of them as it may just not be adjusted properly.

David Eidson and Erwin Merida like this.
  8. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Did it pass smog when you purchased it?

9. shawnz82

shawnz82 Newbie

Truck:
    '86, 2wd, 22r, 5 speed
    i have a cat. i dont have a gas leak or exhaust leak. i am smelling more because hoses are missing. i believe most of it is due to the hose from the charcoal canister. does that go to the BVSV on my manifold?

charcoal-canister.JPG bvsv.JPG

10. Ponyryd

Ponyryd Enthusiast

Some older cars have a vacuum diagram under the hood, everything should be on that. You’re surely missing hoses, but most likely missing other parts as well, the canister stores fuel vapour to be returned by the engine, but you can’t run full vacuum to it, it’s usually a metered port.
    Are you melting fuel, or is it oil vapour? You are missing pcv hoses as well, and that will smell oily when running. The 2 open filters you have on the valve cover will cause some smell, 1 should go to the air cleaner, the other should have a pcv valve and go to the intake.

11. shawnz82

shawnz82 Newbie

Truck:
    '86, 2wd, 22r, 5 speed
    im not sure what you are asking by melting fuel or oil vapour but one port on the canister has nothing hooked up to it. is there supposed to be a hose from that to the purple bvsv? i looked at my diagram but actually the diagram shows its NOT supposed to?

print2.jpg

12. Ponyryd

Ponyryd Enthusiast

That should say smelling, not melting.
    The diagram appears to show nothing there, but the canister looks awfully clean like something was on it. Maybe it’s actually just a canister vent.