Proportioning valve

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Frank Nick, Sep 3, 2022.

1. Frank Nick

Frank Nick Member

1F9B5FD5-F953-4F2C-B909-83E40F0F67EA.jpeg Hello. Can you tell me how the proportioning valve works? My rod off my truck was cut off. I may have the lines backwards too. I bled my brakes they work but my valve may be stuck because the rod moves easy up and down easy. Like no pressure. I was going to make an adjustment bolt for the rod. This is my ford 8.8 setup. Thanks y’all.

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Load sensing positioning valve=LSPV. When there is weight in the bed, the back goes down moving the rod and it adds more pressure to the rear brakes.
    Point the rod down, this will simulate the bed being unloaded and less braking pressure will be applied

3. Frank Nick

Frank Nick Member

I’m not sure how the valve works. See on this pic. There’s a fork where the rod fits in. Is there a pin or plunger that works with brake fluid pressure? Had mine apart the rod just moved up and down. You would figure a plunger would reduce pressure or give more pressure. Not sure sur how the valve works itself. I know the rod connects to the axle housing when there’s a load on the truck. F3FA8BEB-9DD4-463F-A9F6-3F54FA8AB62E.jpeg

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    You can remove it and install a wilwood proportioning valve or one similar in its place. This was discussed alot back in the day.

TRUCK ACTION likes this.
  5. Frank Nick

Frank Nick Member

I seen some posts where they did that. I might do that. Thanks.

6. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Idk but this triangulated setup you got just keeps making more and more sense as a to do item on my build. Coils tucked under the rails and simple. I wonder what coils I can use to adjust height..

7. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Wouldn't a lsvp get thrown off if you lower the rear and add break to the rear for no reason?

TRUCK ACTION likes this.
  8. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Yes this it's why guys would cut the rod and keep it at the angle it was before lowering or make a drop bracket on the axle or get an after market prop valve

Erwin Merida likes this.
  9. Frank Nick

Frank Nick Member

That’s what I’m trying to do with mine. I just didn’t know how the valve works.

10. Frank Nick

Frank Nick Member

My coil overs are 15”. I can lower them about 5”. About 250 lbs each. They work great. Tucking them under the frame was plain and simple. Still has a nice stance. As far as the valve, The guys on the pirate 4x4 forum do the lspv on their Toyota rock crawlers. They use an eye bolt/bracket setup to adjust the rod up and down then they leave it that way when the rear brakes are tuned in.

Erwin Merida likes this.