LEXXXI, The 93 shorty that doesn't give up!

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Erwin Merida, Oct 6, 2021.

1. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    It's ok. Once I add the front end most of it gets hidden. I even went over some spots that I missed after this pic. This is more for me. To know that part of my truck, also got some love. Lmao

Mikerocosms and jetas like this.
  2. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Out with the old, in with the new. Projector housings for HIDs with blue LED accent lights on the sides.. ehh, this was the first part I bought for my truck and never put them on hahaha. Better late then never!! I hit the brackets that hold em up a metallic chrome..idk if it looks right yet.. IMG_20210908_081221055~3.jpg

3. Mr.Mini_4.0

Mr.Mini_4.0 Enthusiast

Lots of good progress over here :)

Erwin Merida likes this.
  4. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Haven't wrenched on her much but I mocked up the upper half of my front end for a lil inspiration haha! Plus I wanted to see how much wider these 4runner fender really are since I'm going 10" wide vs 7stock wheels.. still need to fix parts of the grille, paint and buy new clips for it. Need a new bumper!! IMG_20220726_090307666~2.jpg IMG_20220726_094114824~2.jpg

5. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    So I had some tim this morning so I decided to whip out the LC intake stud kit and throw it on the new head. Then, I said I had enough time to swap over my exhaust studs.. IMG_20220802_072955137.jpg Using the two nut method made it a breeze! Added some PB blaster to the threads helps glide things when tightening by hand. So couldn't help myself and mocked up the intake.. IMG_20220802_084149015.jpg After that happened, of course I had to mock the rest of the top end! Had a fun morning listing the rest of my missing pieces. IMG_20220802_094618702~2.jpg i need to get the 22re performance timing cover kit and a turbo oil pump. Water pump is still new but might swap for a new one since they're cheap. Gold fuel rail makes good contrast on the engine.. I'm liking where this is going.. the big question now is the block... BLACK/GOLD/TITANIUM SILVER???? Also on the head, I'm thinking of matching the VC paint. Idk what you guys think? If I paint the block gold to match my tranny, the head needs to be black or go silver .. still debating. And who mocks up the intake and not the exhaust?!? IMG_20220802_110901723~2.jpg Cheap ebay header gna make it work!! Need to be re welded at the flange and I plan on deleting that o2 bung. You think I can use that for a wideband?! Wrong location right.. IMG_20220802_110617734~2.jpg

jetas likes this.
  6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Progress looks good

Erwin Merida likes this.
  7. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Thanks man, it ain't easy working 55+ hrs a week and juggling a family of 5 during summer break and tryna squeeze in a wrench here or there.. lol.

jetas likes this.
  8. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I think I'm going to opt out for the clears.. IMG_20220810_094604986.jpg

9. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    [​IMG]

Could always tint the amber part. I did that back in the day

Erwin Merida likes this.
  10. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Damn, never thought of that one! I like the idea!

11. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Got the idea from "Twisted Metal". How Bob Grant did the corners on it looked like they were inspired by the 79-83 models.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  12. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    This idea might come in clutch since my truck is staying black.. seems like it would give it a slightly different look up front, one that you couldn't put your finger on it right away! Hahah

jetas likes this.
  13. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Update..

For the past 7 yrs I rented a stall at a local auto shop for its industrial space and utilities. Plus rent was fairly cheap. I even use it as a base for detail jobs I take on during summer months. At the end of February some asswipes decide to break in and grab every shinny thing they could. They hit that spot as a whole and along with it went a gooooood chunk of everyday tools and specialty tools like my triple square sets for my foreign.. MK5 Jetta. Scanner gone. Digital torque wrench set, gone.. idiots didn't know what else to grab so they started picking at parts. Full exhaust set up minus header gone. They took a few bnib clutches, but left the pressure plates and hardware kits..haha dumbasses. Ebay intake was universal so I bet they installed that sucker already into the GMC 2500 van they were driving. Long story short.. I shut it down!
    Along came LEXXXI for a ride, brought her home. Found a nice little corner for her.. IMG_20230303_164903_HDR~3.jpg

Went around the neighborhood before tucking her away under a fresh Harbor Freight camo tarp. She hadn't seen sunlight in a couple of years haha. IMG_20230303_164841_HDR~3.jpg got 2 thumbs up even tho she's in s#!+ condition. Best part of bringing her home was some kids from the block running up and remembering the doughnuts in the rain from yrs ago. Desperately stocking up on tools and staying positive by working on what I can. Just got to pull the trigger on which piston I'm going to use before machine shop makes magic happen on my block and head.

I like the gold in the sun! Super flaky! IMG_20230303_153705_HDR~2.jpg

jetas likes this.
  14. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Damn dude sorry to hear that happened to you. Hopefully you're able to bounce back from this shitty situation

Erwin Merida likes this.
  15. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Thanks man. All can be replaced, just sucks when your used to your 20+ yr old tools, nd now you gotta start all over. Now I gotta watch out for my kids to not break the windshield haha! Not tryna mess with that trim rn.

jetas likes this.
  16. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Spending summer gathering tools and inspiration. Tucked up for now. Engine shops are charging arms and legs for things I use to get done for $50 to $200! Inflation hurting ppl or I'm getting old fast! Hahah IMG_20230725_185055_HDR.jpg IMG_20230725_185142_HDR.jpg

17. Ponyryd

Ponyryd Enthusiast

Damn that sucks to hear man! The tarp is a bad idea though, traps moisture and the buffeting will rub off your paint at the contact points, better to get a cheap cover or leave it with nothing.

Match the block to the VC, leave the head as bare aluminum.

The header likely doesn’t need additional flange welding, and no, the bung cannot be used for WB.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  18. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Yea moving forward I won't be taking any clients to any work area.

The tarp is really for the damn pine trees the neighbors have and to hide truck parts/tools I have inside not to mention th wire harness that's hanging off the side since I'm trying to relocate the fuse box under the right fender.

As to the header, I'll take a picture from inside so you guys can give me a second opinion I don't like but maybe Im just used to quality parts and this one being an eBay special from DNJ. My goal is 200 hp nd it seams like boost will get me there on phase 2. So not spending much on exhaust while opening it up a bit..

You think the head will expand/contract enough with heat to where it will ruin paint if? added

Ponyryd likes this.
  19. Ponyryd

Ponyryd Enthusiast

No, it will be fine if painted, but I prefer the look of clean aluminum to a coat of paint. Maybe hit it with some clear to give it a bit more shine? Dunno, I was gonna do my VC in matte/satin copper, but still not sure

Erwin Merida likes this.
  20. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I've always wanted these, still looking for anything better but haven't came across something suitable in size and look that I want. SSR Black Star from jeggs yo! 15x10 no offset. Screenshot_20230921-121106~3.png

When it comes to wrapping them I've found these to be a tamed tire not to radical and pretty cheap for the rubber!! Screenshot_20230916-070325.png
    I think these will hold up at least 50k miles.. hahaha I really don't like stretching tires since most of the strength a tire has is within the side wall. This plan should be great for the rear.. the only thing that might change is going 8" wide in front to have a bit better turn radius, but more for better tire selection. Staggered or squared ?!? Either way, $1100 for wheels and tires isn't that bad nowadays.