Help! Just finished clutch on 79 SR5, Clutch won't engage.

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Rad_Logan, Jul 25, 2022.

1. Rad_Logan

Rad_Logan Member

I just picked up this 79 SR5 and the clutch wasn't working right so I decided to do a new clutch, master cylinder, and slave cylinder.
    I got everything all buttoned up and it won't engage, I'm fairly certain the clutch, throwout bearing, and fork are all in correctly.
    My suspicion is that the new slave cylinder isn't pushing the fork far enough to engage the clutch or I didn't bleed the system well enough. Everything appears to be working fine.
    In the next few days I plan to put the old slave cylinder in to see if that fixes anything. I'm kind of frustrated and not sure what to do next
    Please help!
    Thank you in advance for any support or suggestions,
    Logan

Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
  2. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    When you bleed it make sure you push the rod all the way back in the cylinder. Then make sure adjustment nut is nearly touching the fork on install.

Rad_Logan likes this.
  3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I reinstalled mine recently and i had accidentally knocked the fork off and it gave me issues during the install. Looked fine from the outside but definitely wasnt where it was supposed to be.

does your slave cylinder have the adjustable rod? If so screw it in to where its shorter.

As it sits, does the slave actually push on the fork? Its honestly not a lot of movement (for the amount we kick the pedal down)

4. Rad_Logan

Rad_Logan Member

So still working on this issue HELP!!!!
    I’ve taken the trans out 3 times and I’m 99% sure everything in the clutch assembly fork and all is correct. Before I connected the driveline everything it seemed to work shift in to gear. I hooked up to the driveline and it don’t let me engage the clutch this change gears while running.
    this is driving me crazy!!!!
    I can’t figure out what to do. My buddy thinks the new slave cylinder isn’t pushing the fork back far enough. Not sure how to fix this as everything there is new and there are no adjustments. Looks like online for other Toyota models they sell extended push rods. Idk! Please help!!! I’m about to go crazy!
    Thank any and all of you in advance

5. 83pickup

83pickup Enthusiast

Truck:
    1983 22R Long Bed 5-Speed
    Do you have access to a Service Manual for the 4th generation (79-83) Pickups? If not I have a Repair Manual for the 83 I can skim through and post pictures of. I don't know much about transmissions but it highlights Troubleshooting for described issues only to a certain degree though (Hard to shift/will not shift, Trans jumping out of gear, Clutch slipping, Clutch grabs/chatters, Clutch pedal spongy, and noisy Clutch.) The Repair Manual I have has diagrams for the G52, W42 & W52, L45 & L52 transmissions. Heck I don't even know which mine has aside the fact its a 5-speed! :silly: As I said before I don't know much so this book is my go-to for anything relating to my Pickup, might help you out!

Rad_Logan likes this.
  6. Rad_Logan

Rad_Logan Member

Oh thanks. I ‘ll skim through mine. I picked up the Hanes manual for it.
    I did some kore testing with the truck in the air and was able to get it to shift but ans figured out the clutch isn’t working at all. So I can shift with the motor but the clutch isn’t doing shit, so I’m probably going to have to take the trans out a 4 th time. This time to remove the new clutch and start all over.

83pickup likes this.
  7. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    Sounds like you put the plate in the wrong way around, Remove the slave and lever the fork back with a bar, and see if you can get the clutch to release. If it won't release you're pulling out the trans again.

Rad_Logan likes this.
  8. Rad_Logan

Rad_Logan Member

Update! So took the trans out for the 4th time, new clutch, flywheel, throughout taken out. I even replaced the rear main this time. Put it all back together all over again and same issue. At this point I’m going to tow it ti a local trans shop to have someone look at it. I’m at a dead end of replacing and double checking my work.

9. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    That sucks. Frustrating non the less. You do have the correct pressure plate for it right? Nd the throw out bearing does have a 'higher' side nd could be on backwards.. but I'm sure by the 4th time you would've got it if it were that..

Rad_Logan likes this.
  10. Rad_Logan

Rad_Logan Member

Yeah I’m at the point where either something I got wasn’t packaged right or I’m missing something small or some adjustment to make it work. I saw this extended push rod for the slave cylinder for later model corollas and Rav4s tempted to order to see if that fixes it.

11. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Agreed. I wouldn't just throw parts/money's at it blindly. Ask your local shop for some help, like you said ..it's most likely something small!

Rad_Logan likes this.
  12. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Stupid question, how does the throw out bearing hold on to your fork?

Rad_Logan likes this.
  13. Rad_Logan

Rad_Logan Member

it’s a spring type retainer.

Attached Files:

14. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    That looks correct. Wonder if the pressure plate isnt working right

15. Rad_Logan

Rad_Logan Member

UPDATE!!!!!!
    All fixed!!!!!!
    After eliminating everything I could think it was, I found a few people with a similar issue and it ended up being their master cylinder/clutch linkage bracket. After checking mine and seeing it wasn't broken I knew at this point it had to be something with that area. Even though I would say my clutch didn't have any play, it wasn't as tight as it could be so I messed with the linkage to make it really tight pushing the peddle out and that's all it was. So thankful I figured it out eventually.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
  16. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    So it was the rod at the pedal that pushes on the clutch MC?

17. Rad_Logan

Rad_Logan Member

Yeah, I just had to adjust it all the way out as far as possible even though initially it seemed fine