75 pickup distributor

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by Minitrucker, Apr 9, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Minitrucker

Minitrucker Newbie

Okay so I just bought a 75 Toyota pickup and I have been having issues with ignition system. I bought new wires, plugs, coil, cap, rotor. The problem is I realized that the cap don’t fit the distributor that’s on my truck. I did some research and found that the cap off a 79 corona fits my distributor. Bought that put it on but the rotor ate the contacts. So I’m in a boat where I just want to buy the correct distributor for my truck but can’t find it for 75. Wondering what years are compatible/the same or if anyone knows where I can find one. Thanks.

2. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Maybe the rotor is different. Someone might of switched to electric ignition from the old points at sometime. Start with the rotor from the 79 if you haven't already.

3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Does it have points or is it electronic?

4. Minitrucker

Minitrucker Newbie

It is electronic.

5. Minitrucker

Minitrucker Newbie

Unfortunately I already tried the correct rotor for the 79

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Post a pic of the dizzy, with and without the cap

7. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    Maybe the distributor was changed by the P.O.? Don't see why that would be. Maybe the parts supplier has the wrong part #s, happens all the time really. Check the part #s for the Corona, Celica and the Pickup to see if they match. I'm guessing the engine is a 20R and I've not yet seen any difference from one model/year to another. Another possibility is the part supplier sold you a cap and rotor for an 18RC. Or if I got that wrong about the engine being a 20R then they got you a 20R cap and rotor for your 18R.

jetas likes this.
  8. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I know ive switched between a 20R and 22R dizzy in mine and theyre visibly different

9. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    Yep, the 20R and 22R were different. The 20R had three iterations I can remember. The 22R had two. All the 20R distributors I knew of used the same cap and rotor. The 18RC and 20R were different. I believe the caps were different between the models.

18RC ran through '75. 20R first appeared in '74 and ran to '80 and the 22R was '81on with a few evolutions from there. The parts books and computer listings were a bit fuzzy on the 18RC/20R overlap and caused a few headaches for the Celica, Corona and pickup owners. Only manufacturer that was worse than Toyota was FORD.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
  10. Minitrucker

Minitrucker Newbie

Update. I got my hands on the correct distributor for the 75. Just have to swap them at this point. Thanks for the help!

Perkolator and jetas like this.