ISO running 1988 2wd, 22R, standard cab & bed

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Sheila, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Sheila

Sheila Newbie

Hi everyone! I am ISO of the following truck, preferably currently/previously registered in CA as that is where we reside...hope you like my story... :)

My husband used to own an '88 2wd Hilux (I'm sure you're surprised that I know they weren't called Tacoma unmtil 1995!)...4-sp manual, basic stock model (it had no AC, no power steering, LOL!), 22R engine (not the RE or the ESI model), in the 1990s when we were dating. We sold the truck in 1998 to my brother, who then sold it later in 2001. My husband ALWAYS reminisces about the truck and wishes he still had it!!

My husband's 50th bday is coming up in January... and my bright idea is to either try to track down his exact truck and offer to buy it back (we don't have the VIN or plate# (yet) and CA DMV is no help without one of these #s...but my brother thinks he might have digitally-archived paperwork on the truck from when he owned it so that might be a prospect)--OR-- find another one to buy in his exact model and (hopefully) color scheme--gray vinyl/pleather interior with bench seat (the floors were the vinyl too, no carpet!), and black exterior with sliding rear window and single-handle on the tailgate (not the 2-latch type), to gift to him for his bday!

I have been searching around for the last 3+ months on all the different online places people sell cars; not much luck, especially no black ones, so I am expecting that if I find one in another color, I am good with getting the exterior painted black as long as it has the correct interior.

I also noticed ones that have sold, that the dashboards are cracked and seats ripped, which is to be expected, so in no way am I expecting to find one in perfect condition, nor do I want to invest in a full restoration--an old truck is an old truck, and if we still owned it to this day, it would look used anyways. So I just want it running and have a budget-friendly cosmetic investment if I have to replace certain aging parts like a dash, or get covers for the seats, etc.

I would love if anyone has any tips or connections I would be eternally grateful!! Thank you!

2. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Hmmm…well I doubt you’ll find the old truck, but good luck on that endeavor!

Does husband know about or involved in buying this truck? Only you know your husband but personally if my wife did this for me I’d kinda wish I had some input on the vehicle id be driving, as nice as the gesture is. Like personally if I kept saying I wish I had my old truck, then wife gives the OK, I’d at least consider other vehicles, probably a land cruiser, lol

Because it’s so hard to shop for the right used truck I would suggest if you can’t find the truck you want by then, you give him the official approval to start shopping for a truck and then get him a hobby-grade RC platform paired with a scale body kit of his old truck for him to tinker with.

3. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Ask him what his fondest memory is. It could be the durability of the 22R, the ease of maintenance etc.
    Most men (myself included) wouldn’t care less if it had 1 or 2 latches on the tailgate. Interior color not that critical. It sounds lake a basic bare bones truck. Rather than try to find an exact duplicate, search for one with the same features. IMHO

4. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Finding the exact interior you're looking for can be hard if it wasn't the go to choice for the first owners. Their's probably a good bit of first and only owners out their with these trucks. Or still in the family. The best thing I would say is consider expanding your search across the country or even neighboring countries. I just went through buying the exact car I wanted recently with my is300. Mine was a little easier because of their being only 3 or 4 interior options and wanting white or yellow. But my cloth seats were not easy to find. I looked for 6 months.