‘79 Celica noise filter/igniter info

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Toyodandy, Aug 31, 2021.

1. Toyodandy

Toyodandy Newbie

Truck:
    1981 Longbed
    Does anyone know if old noise filters for igniters are directional? Somehow I would assume so. I am dealing with 2 different igniters for late 70’s Toyotas and am also wondering if noise filters were built in on later model modules. I’m just trying to go at swapping in this different ignition with a little insight. I wanna post the pic but apparently it’s too large of a file:-/

2. Toyodandy

Toyodandy Newbie

Truck:
    1981 Longbed
    The igniter/coil on the right (or top, photo looks turned now) is the original to the ‘79 20R Celica. It has the noise filter mounted externally and it is on the left side with a white and black wire coming off of it. I’m just trying to figure out if I should bypass it and assume filters are built into later modules or if I should hook it up to this igniter that doesn’t have an external filter.

Attached Files:

3. Toyodandy

Toyodandy Newbie

Truck:
    1981 Longbed
    The Celica lives again!! No noise filter used unless the new igniter has it built in. Hopefully we good for awhile again And igniters do come and go sometimes as they die, just my experience in this instance.

Attached Files:

4. Jimmy Siu

Jimmy Siu Newbie

Thanks for posting. Mine is a 77 and I thought it has dual condensers. I guess it is a noise filter (77s are round, looks like a mini condenser)

5. Jimmy Siu

Jimmy Siu Newbie

and my car has no spark...still scratching my head...probably as you said, ignitor...

6. Toyodandy

Toyodandy Newbie

Truck:
    1981 Longbed
    Yeah, i ran through the ignition system backwards with a multimeter and couldn’t find anything else at fault. And I was just running through the crummy Hayne’s manual procedure for troubleshooting, but it is a pretty straightforward and simple system. Definitely clean and tighten all grounds that you can find, as this can be your issue potentially as well. Good luck and keep us posted

7. Jimmy Siu

Jimmy Siu Newbie

It's been a head scratching ordeal for me I'm not that smart and information is hard to find. I don't have wiring diagrams or shop manual just a crappy Chilton book, very general. Don't have a lot of moolah to spend neither lol. So far I bought a coil and makes no difference. ( I do have juice going into coil and test light will flicker when cranking but still no spark...makes no sense to me). Sorry I feel like I'm hi jacking this thread.

Attached Files:

8. Toyodandy

Toyodandy Newbie

Truck:
    1981 Longbed
    Have you tried the condenser? They’re cheap enough to give a try if not. I got lucky with my $120 Ebay gamble for a used igniter. Just try and find one from same era w similar plugs if nothing else works. I hate the idea of cutting off factory connectors and changing them out.

9. Jimmy Siu

Jimmy Siu Newbie

I just came back from parts store, with full intention of getting one to try. My dilemma is that the factory one has 2 wires coming out, store cannot find one similar so I came back empty handed. I don't understand why my pointless ignition would need a condenser but the set up is all factory and it ran before so I cannot question Toyota...

10. Jimmy Siu

Jimmy Siu Newbie

Didn't want to screw things up more than it already is by hooking up a generic one wire condenser. The 2 wires has continuaty but also has resistance. I have no spec ... Can't tell if this factory one is even good or bad

Attached Files:

11. Jimmy Siu

Jimmy Siu Newbie

Looked at eBay too, slim picking there, saw one looked similar, though not exactly the same and it is 300 bucks or so with shipping...big gamble for poor old me :p

12. Toyodandy

Toyodandy Newbie

Truck:
    1981 Longbed
    There is always giving up on the factory toyota iggy and going with the GM setup. Lots of info about doing that online and it’s plenty cheap compared to finding good used factory parts. Damn that cash for clunkers bullshit, ruined it for a lot of our used parts/vehicles availabilities!! That and salvage yards are crushing like crazy because of scrap prices. :’-(

13. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Try to buy the whole setup. Coil and condenser. Usually cheaper than igniter alone.

14. Jimmy Siu

Jimmy Siu Newbie

Thanks for the advice. I tried to go on the website to see what would I need but was kinda confused. I suppose I don't need anything for the distributor because mine is electronic (no conversion needed) so it's just a coil and condenser I might need? I'm already confused as to why pointless ignition would need a condenser but mine has it....I swapped out a coil to try and no spark still. Not sure about condenser because the stock one has 2 wires coming out while all the ones I can buy has only one wire.....I need to read more.....I'm not smart at all with stuff:(

15. Jimmy Siu

Jimmy Siu Newbie

To add to my confusion, today I sprayed ether in the carb and it tried to fire up for a second, then never again today.

16. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    The noise filter is just that. A noise filter. From what I remember my friend saying it's only for the AM radio frequency to keep the coil from effecting it. If you were running points you would have a condenser in the dizzy to keep the points from burning out.