1977 Toyota Hilux broken fuel pump or possibly another problem

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by James Bates, Sep 25, 2021.

1. James Bates

James Bates Newbie

Hi everyone, due to my fuel gauge not working I recently ran out of gas. I'm wondering if trying to start my truck with no fuel ruined my fuel electric fuel pump. This is the third time this has happened to me. I realize the fuel keeps the fuel pump lubricated and from heating up; however once I realized I was out of gas I immediately stopped trying to start the engine.

I put a couple of gallons of fuel in the tank and now the truck won't start. I noticed the fuel filter is not filling up. This is the 3rd time in 10 years this has happened to me. Do those fuel pumps crap out that easily? I'm wondering if the fuel pump is still good and have another reason for the fuel is not pumping. Could getting air in the line cause an issue? Checking to see if anyone else has experienced this problem? The other 2 times this happened to me I dropped the tank, swapped the pump and it resolved my issue. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

2. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Unless tank was cleaned out, maybe clogged with debris/sediment? Can you hear it try to turn on at all? I had a Datsun pickup that debris killed the fuel pump from not allowing fuel through to cool it down. I think I tapped on the fuel pump to dislodge something in order to get home that day