Help me find similar setup

Discussion in 'Wheels/Tires' started by K3control, Sep 8, 2021.

1. K3control

K3control Newbie

Hi all, I've done a ton of searching and maybe my googling skills aren't as great as I thought. I am wanting to have a similar set up to this:

[​IMG]

On my Stock 2wd 93 pickup. Can anyone tell me the wheel size I am looking for? and what tire size I could do without rubbing? I am getting so many conflicting answers and honestly, at this point I am lost -_-

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    For starters you need a 4wd truck

YotaCarter likes this.
  3. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    You don't have to start with a 4WD truck.

Back in the day, before Toyota sort of hijacked the "forerunner" name for their mini-SUV, a FORErunner was a truck, usually 2WD, that desert racers used to scope out the race course before the race. The "4Runner" was a play on the word "forerunner".

Because you can only lift a truck so much via the suspension, you can also use a 3" body lift kit. After you get as much clearance as you can, you can then figure out what wheels/tires to get.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    Pearce likes this.
  4. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Prerunner is the name you're looking for. Hints the pre.

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    He posted a 4x4 and said he wanted that look. I answered accordingly. Prerunner is something different and not what is pictured

6. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    If you're lifing a 2wd truck you're going down the path of prerunner.

I would start with lifting it before wheels. Most of the front clip can be put on your truck from my understanding. You might just want to use some ebay bushwacker type fender flares in the rear. If you really want a stock 4x4 look you can cut out the fenders from one. I would go more for the prerunner look and not even touch the rear renders much.

7. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Oh, that's right. It's the "runner" part they used...

This thread reminded me of something: there is a magazine dedicated to Toyota 4WD trucks. I'm not into 4x4s (just anything Toyota) so I don't remember the exact name of the magazine (sorry). Anyway, a few months ago, one of the editors decided to do exactly what the OP is thinking about and wrote an article. Unfortunately, I tossed the issue while cleaning out my house.

One thing that stands out is, even with the lift kit, he had to trim the front bumper because the tires would rub at full lock. I'll keep looking but I'm not hopeful...

8. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    $1500 4"-6" lift kit from Rancho/ skyjacker / King / fabtech. Then, another $1500 for wheels and tire from big O tires / Walmart / discount tires / tire rack.com. Etc.. then if your not mechanically inclined, another $1500 for install.

9. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Let's not forget the basics either.. probably: new ball joints, new pitman arm, new idler arm, wheel spacers, new extended studs, new lug nuts, new maybe bigger brakes, new 4wd fenders, oh and nitrogen for the tires!

10. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    As Erwin touched on, most do the Prerunner thing without the supporting mods. You'd need the 4WD steering components and suspension parts to do it right. Just cranking your torsion bars and adding lift blocks just kills your suspension geometry, and not using the proper steering gear can make for a dangerous driver.

If you are just looking to have the look on your 2WD truck put 27" diameter terrain tires ang get a set of Ford rims. Chances are a 6" rim width with those tires would be right.