Clutch or Transmission or whaaaaaaat?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Arpegius, Apr 2, 2015.

1. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    I'm gonna guess it's your pilot bearing or input shafts bearing..

2. tyrap26

tyrap26 Enthusiast

I have to agree with this^^ if not a clutch and pressure plate type noise.

3. Arpegius

Arpegius Member

Truck:
    1977 Pickup SR5
    I just don't see how new bearings would make the same sound as before all the work was done. I suppose it's possible. It's just everything from clutch back has been replaced (minus clutch and pressure plate that is)

4. 1978sr5longbed

1978sr5longbed Newbie

Hey I hope you fixed the problem...my truck is doing the same thing and 4th being the best gear...they told me I need a new transmission but the truck runs to good it doesn't feel like I need a new one...anyway just wanted to ask if you fixed it

5. glitchinq

glitchinq Member

Where does it sound like the noise is coming from? My friend has a very similar thing happening but it's his drive shaft hitting his crossmember because his opinion angle is all messed up

6. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Why didn't you change the clutch and pressure plate while you had the vehicle apart?
    I can't believe your mechanic didn't recommend this. The kit is usually less than $100.00.
    The one area that takes the most abuse with power transference is the one area you left to chance.
    I vote the old clutch setup is the problem.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  7. Arpegius

Arpegius Member

Truck:
    1977 Pickup SR5
    So after about a year with the new rebuild the noise is still there and loud as all hell. I did change the shifter on it because the bushings on mine were garbage. Why buy a whole shifter unit and not just a bushing? I wanted a little shorter throw in hopes that the gentle shifting I do won't take as long to change gears. The shifter I got was from CUBE and it actually helped the notchy shifting.............. a little. The grinding noise however is amplified through the shifter (acts as a stethoscope). However, I notice when the tranny gets nice and warm after about 15 minutes of driving, the stiff shifts and notchiness is back. Aftermarket synchros are crap apparently. I was thinking about doing a nice cocktail of GL4 85w90 with some 140w. I've heard this can and has been done before with some nice results. Quieter and smoother shifts. I do realize it can get fairly cold in Portland, Oregon. I just neeeeeeed something that will help. I wish I could spell out what it sounds like. kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk. Something like that? It really sounds like bearings but all bearings have been replaced and double-checked. The sounds is directly in the center of the tranny. I took the center console out and all the foam and drove around with a big open hole to the tranny and ground. Put a steth up to it and mechanic heard it loud and clear in the trans.

As for why the clutch wasn't replaced.... I asked about that at the time and was told my clutch was perfectly fine. I even asked again and again (a bit annoying I'm sure) and the response was that it couldn't possibly be that since the plate materials was great and springs were nice and tight.

BAH!!!! Maybe just buy a good used one?

8. josephf786

josephf786 Newbie

Ok so u are now definitively able to say the noise is coming from the INSIDE of the transmission?

9. Arpegius

Arpegius Member

Truck:
    1977 Pickup SR5
    Man, it sure sounds like it. The only thing I can think of is the thing is just old. The mechanic said he has an 80's M6. And his trans in that makes a similar sound. Did I get to hear it? No. He said sometimes the gearing and shift linkage internally can just be old and worn. He said each time they tore apart my trans, it looked and felt like everything was tight and fine. No bits of metal, no signs of grinding or wear. Honestly, the rebuild turned out to be a waste of money because it changed absolutely nothing.

I play with the sound. It's only under load, drive or coast, that it can be audible. As I begin to press on the clutch slowly, the sound just fades away. It's the disengaging (engaging? not sure which term refers to pressing down on the pedal) of the clutch that affects the sound and eliminates it altogether.

So. Loud grinding being transmitted into the cab through the shifter. I built a speaker box to add 2 more speakers. That's been the only thing that's helped. Well, that and shoving a crap load of foam in the center console and under the shift boot.

10. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    I think it's time to find a new mechanic.

11. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Just get a new trans.

12. josephf786

josephf786 Newbie

So if the sound if definitely coming from the INSIDE of the tranny, it would make total sense that the noise would go away when you depress the clutch pedal. When you depress the clutch pedal, the motor disengages from the transmission and the transmission stops spinning. I'm not an expert on transmission internals but the fact that it increases in volume but not pitch definitely means something important... just not sure what. But i'm sure that can help point a knowledgeable tranny guy to the cause. My educated guess would tell me that if u changed the tranny the noise would go away.

13. Arpegius

Arpegius Member

Truck:
    1977 Pickup SR5
    I most certainly agree. Now to find a nice w50 for cheap and install it without ma-lady finding out. She's tired of me tinkering with this thing. And while it's apart put a damn clutch on it to just rule that part out as well.

14. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    Unless you know for a fact the clutch is good, why take a chance for $100.00.
    My clutch is two years old. Installed by me.
    If I ever take the tranny out again, a new one will go in.

15. Henry mora

Henry mora Newbie

So I don’t know if you’ve fixed the problem yet or not but I’ve been dealing with the same thing and after inspection ... I found a loose bracket hanging on my exhaust I couldn’t figure it out for the longest even rebuild my trans cause of it and after spending $1200 ,, there it was.

16. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Is your truck slammed or lifted ? If so it could be the pinion angle.

17. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    Sounds like an issue on the ouput shaft of the trans. If the sound changes with load and is not affected by the engine RPM I would suspect a bearing in the trans or rear diff. Although, if your truck is equipped, the center driveshaft support beraing could be the culprit.