Stiffest front shocks

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by Inmotion96, Jun 18, 2021.

1. Inmotion96

Inmotion96 Newbie

Truck:
    84 sr5 xtra cab
    Hey guys I’m new to the forums.
    I’ve got 84 xtra cab sr5 that I’ve been driving for a couple months now and the stock suspension isn’t cutting it for me anymore.
    Now I’m looking to improve cornering performance as much as possible.

Anyways I picked up some sway a way 25mm torsion bars and I’m looking to pair them with the stiffest valved front shocks possible.

I did some research on here and the two top shocks I see mentioned are the kyb monomax meant 84-95 trucks and the kyb gas adjust for 69 v8 camaros. No stores in my area carry these shocks so I can’t go compare them myself.

Does anybody know which of these two shocks is stiffer/has more dampening? Or do you know of third option that’s even better for 25mm torsion bars?

If so please let me know. I just want to be sure the shocks I choose will provide enough dampening for the thick torsions I’ve got. Thanks In advance

Erwin Merida likes this.
  2. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    This is a good question..

3. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Does SwayAway have a recommendation?

I've had KYB Gas-Adjust shocks on my truck since 1989 or so. The same set. The seals wore/blew out about 10years ago as evidenced by oil that has leaked out. Yet the shocks still do their job of damping. I installed 1-ton torsion bars but never got around to 1-ton leafs.

I plan to buy and install another set of Gas-Adjust shocks. I know I looked compared them to the Monomax but I don't remember why I decided to stay with the Gas-Adjust...

Erwin Merida likes this.
  4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I cross-referenced this on rockauto years ago because i had read the same thing for the 72-78 models. Same part numbers fit both vehicles. No difference.

im guna suggest some KYB gas-a-just, theyre pretty damn stiff for off the shelf parts.

5. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    I'm assuming you want a shock that dampens more, not makes things wet?

I use the Monroe 911050s with my sway-a-ways and 4ish inch drop. It does me well, i don't know how they compare to the KYBs.

When I redo my front setup with drop spindles I will most likely try for Bilsteins.

Are you at stock ride height?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  6. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    Why the STIFFEST shocks? Try to find dampers that are valved for your application. Just going stiff can kill whatever your suspension mods were intended.

7. Inmotion96

Inmotion96 Newbie

Truck:
    84 sr5 xtra cab
    Sorry for the late response, long weekend for me.

Justin dagger yeah I’m at stock height for now, I’m planning on going lower(like 2 inches) but I still haul stuff and hit fire roads when I go dirt biking so can’t go too low.
    First I’m getting my torsion/shock combo picked then I’m going to decide how I should lower it.. Drop spindles or torsion crank if I can gain negative camber with a torsion crank.

Sir deuce you ask why I’m looking for the stiffest shock.

I also have a 92 dlx xtra cab work horse that has 23mm front torsion bars and when I first got it I installed some kyb excel g stock replacements on it. They felt better than stock blown shocks but they didn’t feel like wanted and blew within a year of using my truck for work.
    Then I installed some kyb gas a adjust shocks meant for 84-95 pickups and it feels nice and planted on the backroads and they have yet to blow. I think they are perfect.
    Experience tells me My 84 xtracab with 25mm torsion bars should need shocks with even more dampening than the gas adjust shocks meant for 84-95 trucks.

These new torsion bars are like 40 percent stiffer than stock.
    I also did a fair bit of research and some people who ran 1 ton torsion bars or sway away bars said their trucks felt under dampened with stock shocks.
    People also run kyb monomax and the Camaro gas adjust shocks on stock torsion bars and like them.

I even found 1 post in which a member by the name of whitetrash says his 1 ton torsion bars feel somewhat under dampened with the kyb monomax.
    I believe 1 ton torsion bars are the same diameter as the sway away bars.

This is why im looking for the stiffest bolt on shock.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
  8. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    I tried KYB Exel G and found them to be junk, even as a stock replacement shock. Wouldn't recommend them for anything. KYB Gas-A-Just has been my go to when nothing else was available, good shock, I run them on my truck. If you wan to take the time and cross-reference by size and mounting Koni and Tokiko may have something that would work. Bilsein has shocks for our trucks. Koni, Tokiko and Bilstein offer custom valving on some of their lines. If money is no concern look at Ohlin dampers. You will need to know things like spring rates, corner weights and suspension travel along with intended use so the engineers can vlve the shock properly.
    Another place you can look is your local circle track racing supplier.

9. Justin Danger

Truck:
    I ask about height, because depending on how you choose to lower it, you may need a different length shock.

10. Inmotion96

Inmotion96 Newbie

Truck:
    84 sr5 xtra cab
    I’ll leaning towards a 2 inch torsion bar drop, would I need shorter shocks for a mild torsion drop?
    I think the camaro shocks are something like 1 inch shorter than stock if I needed something shorter.

Also how do those Monroe shocks you have feel, they pair well with the sway away torsion bars as far as handling goes?

11. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Turning down torsions will need a shorter shock because that rotates the control arm up.

I'm dropped 4 or so inches from stock on DMJ lower control arms as well as the sway-a-way tosion bars, and I don't bottom out with those Monroe shocks.

Like I said, though, when I do get drop spindles I will switch things up. They drop the axle location in relation to the LCA, so I would essentially need to lift my suspension from where it is now to get the same ride height with them if that makes sense.

Inmotion96 likes this.
  12. Inmotion96

Inmotion96 Newbie

Truck:
    84 sr5 xtra cab
    That makes sense, thanks for the explanation.
    I haven’t really messed with my Toyota trucks much till now so I’ve never really understood how the torsion bar and suspension setup on these trucks worked. It’s a bit different than all the other cars I’ve modified.

Did you have do any modifications to make the shock fit onto the lower control arm?
    Like having to enlarge the mounting holes on the bottom mount and run big fender washers on the bolts like camaro shocks?

13. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Not that I remember, but I am running thr DJM lower control arms