1. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Thanks. I think a toyota could survive an emp so I don't think you have to worry about making the switch anytime soon. Lmao

2. flacostaco

flacostaco Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87 pickup
    do you have a instagram . if you do check out "toyota4low" he makes great quality stickers that look oem toyota and he sells a 22rte custom he made that looks just like the 22r 22re oem ones actually he sells them thru ebay. user toyota4low hope it helps with your sticker search

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    jetas likes this.
  3. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    Yeah! that is the one I found on Etsy, I guess he is alllll over. I'm not running the stock valve cover, so I might take some measurements to see if the raised part for the sticker is the same size. He also sells the TURBO EFI sticker for the intake plenum, which is super cool.

4. Justin Danger

Truck:
    I finished the building and wrapping of my new sub boxes and rear shelf today. Pulled the old Pioneer head unit.
    Now it is just a waiting game until the new double din comes in. I'm assuming that it will need some fabrication to fit in.

Still waiting on the new cylinder hone.

5. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Happy to report that I found a machine shop that will help me with the rods' pin bushings work! decent price, and good turnaround time, so when I find time to drop them off I'll do that, and they should be back before the last of the parts for my build come in. And I just can't say enough how beautiful the Pistons I got from Jim over at 22REPerformance are! I can't wait to mate them to the I beam rods I got from him a while back. I'm getting super excited to really start building this RTE up.

Pearce likes this.
  6. Justin Danger

Truck:
    I finished the new subwoofer/back shelf assembly, and got the new double din installed. Things turned out great! I wired the plug for my phone into the glove box.
    20210114_103128.jpg
    20210114_103041.jpg

Rods are at the machine shop waiting until they have time to work on em. I'm hoping to have them by Friday.

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Looks good bro! I really miss having an extended cab

8. Justin Danger

Truck:
    This morning I shipped out my fuel injectors for servicing. I also picked up my rods with their bushing all machined up for the new wrist pins.

I spent the evening working on the head. I installed the new cam, the valves, and put together the new rocker assembly.
    3Spring Pressing1.jpg

6Rockers On1.jpg

7Valve Cover On1.jpg

10Valve Cover Detail1.jpg

Young92Pickup likes this.
  9. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Today I honed out the cylinders to a point that I was happy with. I ended up with a surface that I liked, with good crosshatching from the hone. With that done, I was able to go ahead installing the crankshaft and rear main seal.

11Crank Installed1.jpg

I also took the time to relocate the knock sensor. While I had it out, I hit it with some scotch brite.

12Knock Sensor.jpg

I did a test fit of the crank scraper, and it fit well with fine clearances around the crank. All of the holes lined up with the oil pan, so I expect that to be an easy install when the time comes. For now, it is waiting time again. When I get my piston rings, I will able to move ahead with finishing up the bock.

jetas likes this.
  10. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Pretty dope that you're able to do all the work yourself man. I wish i knew what i was doing inside the engine to refresh mine

11. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Thanks man, your welding skills are pretty dope!

I've been trying to find time when it is not raining to do some prep work in the engine bay. A sunshiney morning gave me the chance to scrub things down and get the last few bits out of the way.

20210125_121125.jpg

I also decided to paint the upper intake plenum, which turned out pretty snazzy.

20210125_121706.jpg
    Sometime this week I hope to get back my fuel injectors from getting cleaned. They should be arriving with the piston rings, and then I can really start putting this thang back together!

12. Justin Danger

Truck:
    And I just got my stickers in! Thanks to Chris at Toyota4Low on etsy for these. I got an emissions sticker, the turbo warning sticker that goes on the gloce box, and this turbo EFI sticker for the intake plenum.

20210125_124215.jpg

There was a little pitting on the aluminum where the orgininal stickers was, so I used that for alignment. It was the perfect size and landed nicely.

13. flacostaco

flacostaco Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87 pickup
    i love it the decal is great quality :waytogo:

14. Justin Danger

Truck:
    When I started prepping to paint the engine bay I noticed that my master cylinder was leaking. So instead of masking that off and painting around it, I pulled the master cylinder and the brake booster. I painted the booster with some of that wrinkle paint, and ordered an upgraded master cylinder. Because my truck is a turbo it came with a 15/16 master, as opposed to the 3/4. I still decoded to get the 1" 94' v6 master. It will be a lil better, and because it is aluminum as opposed to steel it will be lighter. I stuck with getting an Aisin, and it looks like the hoses will land in the same place.

20210203_215149.jpg

20210203_215205.jpg

20210203_215402.jpg

The plug was different, so I soldered on the old plug to the new cap

20210203_220313.jpg

20210203_154950.jpg

jetas likes this.
  15. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Engine bay looks good dude

16. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Thanks Jetas! I've got some time to kill while my fuel injectors are out, so i'm taking care of all of the little things.
    For a lot of brackets and connecors and stuff that is made of steel, I decided to give a new finish. I tried my hand at some amateur electroplating that I didn't like, when I decided to take a page out of an old book of mine.
    When I was making Slab tables, I was comissioning a local welder to make bases out of steel. With that steel, for a kind of polished up rustic look I used gun blue on the raw steel. It worked there, so I figured it would work here. I knocked down that weird yellow finish with a wire wheel chucked into a drill, hit it with some scotchbrite, degreased, blued, and then applied some grease.
    I am more than happy with the result! Here are a few bits:

20210204_221409.jpg

17. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Piston rings came in, so I took the next few steps

20210212_142439.jpg

After installing the pistons, I then installed the timing cover, head, and crank scraper.

Erwin Merida and Pearce like this.
  18. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Late last night I installed the water pump, oil pan, oil pump, fuel filter, oil dipstick, engine mounts, and alternator brackets. I set valve lash, and installed the distributor. I'm not sure how much more I will actually install before I drop it back in the bay. Maybe the fuel rail, but I'm going to leave off the upper plenum, oil filter, and various hoses and stuff to make it easier to install.

I found a different place to rent an engine hoist from. It looks like a much newer unit, and comes with the chains. I hope to do that sometime in the coming week

I decided to replace the turbo gaskets, so am now waiting on those.

19. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    How much is renting? I'm interesting to know what brand they use. Retal companies have the most time on their tools so they usually buy the best. Have you looked around the classifies? You could probably find one for like nothing.

20. Justin Danger

Truck:
    The last one I rented was almost more rust than metal, and was way too big. This one looks almost as big, but doesn't look busted up. I have no idea what brand it is. It is 40$ a day, which is cheaper than folks on craigslist are renting theirs for. Hopefully after I stab this engine in I won't have to use one again for a very long time.