The red bandit 94 pickup

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by efeezhee, Jan 5, 2021.

1. efeezhee

efeezhee Newbie

hey was up!

Here is my 1994 Toyota pickup.

I have owned it for a few years. I used to only use it to haul motorcycles and scooters to LA. It needed tires a year ago so I bought some pacer wheels and tires for it. It drove so well with the new tires I decided to lower it. Now all I wanna do is find a reason to drive it around and fix it up.
    Future mods. I want to lower it some more so I am searching for a C notch kit and another way to lower it.

parts list.
    belltech drop spindles
    belltech rear blocks
    Amazon special 5x7 LED headlights.
    Split rear window.
    belltech rear sway bar
    Lower front body kit.
    Bilstein shocks
    In channel window visors
    Tinted windows
    15 inch steel pacers wheels
    225x75x15 falkens
    0905A6A6-FD47-471C-8620-F3A645B1C979.jpeg

C8B8B3CE-1295-46EC-B75D-2FBCB37A6759.jpeg

Interior mods.
    mini mono steering wheel
    Husky floor mats.
    6 inch manual shift lever extension
    Pioneer single din Bluetooth deck
    Amazon seat cover.
    Alarm with power door locks
    F123B4AC-5D13-4091-ADA5-86D14EB8B977.jpeg

Erwin Merida and jetas like this.
  2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Guna need some smaller tires if you want go lower.

efeezhee likes this.
  3. efeezhee

efeezhee Newbie

I just ordered some new front fenders with the fender flare since my tires are rubbing really bad when I turn. I’ll post pics when I get them in and attempt the install.

‘I think I want to lower the rear a little more. I have been looking for a c notch kit.
    A lot of the ones I find online are universal kits.

Just wondering what are the popular mini truck sites and everyone buys parts from?

also are there any shops in CA that work on minitrucks?

sorry for the newbie questions...

4. efeezhee

efeezhee Newbie

Yeah you are right. Mine are pretty fat. They sit flush with the fender now.

5. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    I started with static drop, dropped spindles, dropped rear springs & angled blocks, rode that way for 4 years while doing more work on the truck. Plans were to bag her so went with a 8 piece notch kit ( so can weld inside).
    If you plan on bagging her , do the research, make a parts list & suppliers , & start collecting parts

efeezhee likes this.
  6. BatryOpratedBoy

BatryOpratedBoy Enthusiast

Truck:
    Brave Little Toaster (Diana) and Salsa Verde (Traction Control)
    I wouldn't go any lower, bro. If you're using it to haul even a little bit then where it is now is darn near perfect. Hell I cut my bumpstops and I still tag them every now and then when I have 3, 400lbs in the back. It's looking dope so far though man just get those new fenders and you'll be sitting pretty.

efeezhee likes this.
  7. efeezhee

efeezhee Newbie

Thanks man. I think you are right cuz right now when I -it I bike in the back
    Thanks for the advice! Can you recommend a good place to order a C notch kit? I have been looking online and I see some universal kits. Thanks again man.

8. efeezhee

efeezhee Newbie

Thanks for the advice! When I drive around now sometimes I hit the bumpstops. And When I haul the triumph it’s practically sitting on bumpstops. But that said I know what you mean. It’s super reliable right now. It’s never ever let me down. I never owned a bagged truck so I have no knowledge of it’s hauling capacity or reliability.

9. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Pretty much all the notch kits you're going to find are going to be either universal or weld in so some work will be required.

if you are contantly hitting the bumpstop you can either trim it or remove it to regain some clearance but at some point the axle will hit the frame if you are low enough

as far as capabilities of airbags, look under a semi truck next time you see one and see what they have for springs

efeezhee likes this.
  10. efeezhee

efeezhee Newbie

Thanks for the info! I think for sure I’m trimming my bumpstops later today. Haha. What is your favorite C notch kit?

11. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    Back when I was transporting bedloads of lumber I got some monroe shocks with load bearing coilovers, and they worked quite well to prevent my lowered truck rom bottoming out. They were variable rate, so they functioned better than the Gabriel shocks when unloaded.

Depending on what C-notch kit you go with, you may need to clearance the bedfloor too, so keep an eye on that.

efeezhee likes this.
  12. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I personally always liked 8 piece notch kits and thats what i went with on my truck. If you arent planning on bagging it anytime soon or ever at all id stay away from this route and go with a simple pipe notch or something like the underbed notches belltech sells

efeezhee likes this.
  13. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    If you keep hitting the bump stops with your motorcycle, consider the notch and then just add air shocks, or some air bags in the back. Pretty simple to add. My dad used to have a Toyota pickup work truck loaded with tools and also had helper airbags he could adjust with the weight changes when he'd haul other stuff to jobsites.

efeezhee likes this.
  14. efeezhee

efeezhee Newbie

Thanks for the advice Justin. I do want to try and keep the bedfloor intact so I can put the bikes in the back.

15. efeezhee

efeezhee Newbie

Thanks Jetas I’ll look for the bell tech C notch. :waytogo:

16. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    May have to look for a universal one if belltech doesnt have one

17. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    On my new truck it came with airshocks but the flatbed and tool boxes meant I had to keep 60 psi in them to keep it off the bumpstops with only a 2.5" block. Working on the exhaust one day I poked a sawzall blade through a bag but had a set of 73-87 coil over overload shocks new in a box sitting on a shelf. Knocked out the t bar and drilled the bushings and they kick ass on the truck.

As for frame notch at your current height you'll want at least a 3" notch. I have a 2" mini notch on my old truck and it isn't enough although that truck is significantly lower.

efeezhee likes this.
  18. flacostaco

flacostaco Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87 pickup
    truck looks good man ive seen people doing mini truck work more thru instagram now a days and people giving out good info as well but it all really just depends what you want to do people have been using the qa1 coilover conversion for the front eliminating torsion bars and rear is blocks or lowering leafsprings

efeezhee likes this.
  19. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    Coilover conversion on the front requires a lot of work doesn't it? New shock towers and reinforced LCAs?

20. efeezhee

efeezhee Newbie

Thanks for the info on the c notch.