1977 pickup hinge pins

Discussion in 'Exterior/Body' started by Skip of Fools, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Skip of Fools

Skip of Fools Newbie

My 77 has some play in the drivers upper door hinge bushing. Has anyone been able to find these online? I saw somewhere that a 5/16" clevis pin fits the 80s for the quick release. Does anyone know the diameter of the 72-78 hinge pin?

2. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    I believe it's the same pins as the next gen pickups (79-83), which are still available at auto parts stores as a kit with new bushings. Whenever you're searching for parts on these trucks, make sure to add the model number (ex: RN20) to refine your results.

3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Pretty sure the next gen parts fit if not you can find repops on ebay. Ive seem the bushings and pins on there for cheap.

but if you find them in the states post em up.

4. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I ordered this kit. Haven't got around to installing them. From my understanding the original is like a rivet that will need to be drilled or cut out. I'll go out to the truck and look at it again. Screenshot_20201123-131714_eBay.jpg

5. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Looking at it on my early model the top pin is riveted. And it dosnt look like there is enough meat for the keyed part of the pin on the part of the hinge that dosnt move. Looks like the bottom one could be pushed out and the replacement could possibly be used.

6. Skip of Fools

Skip of Fools Newbie

7. josephf786

josephf786 Newbie

Good luck Skip, let us know how it goes. I'm gonna purchase a set in the next few days. If you have any issues, keep us in the loop. I for one will be happy to help if I can.

8. THorn

THorn Member

Truck:
    1974 Hilux
    I just got these same ones, for the same problem. It was enough of a pain that I wondered if I ought to have gone with a salvaged OE hinge replacement, but this is the only way to do it with a brand new bushing. I had to grind off the bottom of the old pin to remove it, but the bushings do fit. As far as I can tell, 73-83, and probably later as well, all use the same diameter pins and bushings. As you speculated, the knurled bit isn't as long as the place it presses into, but epoxy is my friend, and failing that, drill for a cotter pin or machine a groove for a snap ring.

9. Skip of Fools

Skip of Fools Newbie

It went okay, I got the pins and bushings I posted above and it fixed my door sag.
    -took the driver door off
    -cut the drivers top pin in half
    -hammer and a cold chisel got the bottom half to slide out
    -hammer and a punch got the top half out
    -the new bushings were slightly bigger, so I did have to drill out the hole with a 25/64" drill bit and a little wallowing
    -top hinge pin went in with a hammer and punch form the top
    -re hung the door
    -the hinge mounts to a backing plate in the door allowing for about a 1/4" of adjustment, I adjusted in/out up/down
    -I did not even attempt to do the bottom hinge it seems quite difficult to replace the pins and bushings

The door still was sagging a bit and I had to adjust the hinge to body bolts. This was a pain in the butt.
    -I ended up removing the fender to be able to access the bolts.
    -I loosened the bolts
    -closed the door almost all the way
    -using a floor jack with a 2x4 and jacked the door as high as it would go
    -tightened the bolts

All is good now. Shuts like a dream, but I am not looking forward to doing the passenger side or the bottom hinges.

door sag..
    [​IMG]

old top bushings..
    [​IMG]

bottom hinge..
    [​IMG]

new top pin and bushings..
    [​IMG]

KS.ID and Perkolator like this.
  10. slacker

slacker Addict

Truck:
    84-7m-GTE custom
    I just used chev repacement pins and bushings .. like 2 bucks ! .. but you do have to drill out the OE hinge , as the chev pins are standard not metric