'75 Hilux 22RE Turbo project

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Smokewagon, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Smokewagon

Smokewagon Member

Truck:
    1975 Hilux RN28
    I picked up a 1975 long bed with a 20R, A40 automatic trans with an 8" rear end with 4:11 gears from the factory for $750 a few years ago. A fair amount of surface rust but nothing too major wrong with it. It was a PNW truck but brought to southern Ca in the late 70s (from what I could tell from the maintenance logs).
    This is the day I went to look at it.

It was a must-buy for me. Here in Ca, 1975, and before is pre SMOG and I had plans that didn't involve the Ca rules and reg for it. the truck had a 20R in it and I had plans to run a 22re so this was only going to make it easier for the eventual swap. I also was going to need an 8" rear end for my plans (even though it is only the 4 Cyl style). I bought it and it sat in a friend's property for probably too long.
    I bought a junkyard 22re out of a '93 pickup with the world's worst blown head gasket. Had it machined to my specs and assembled it in my garage. here is a small list of goodies in the engine:
    • Wiseco 94mm flat-top pistons
    • Eagle H beam rods
    • DOA racing worked Cyl head
    • Crower cam
    • Offenhauser 4bbl manifold
    • my homemade stainless turbo manifold
    • CX racing turbo
    • FITECH throttle body fuel injection

I have an R150 that will one day go behind the 22RE but, I am really dreading putting in a pedal box for the clutch

Currently, I am putting a Rhodes racecars 17-gallon fuel cell under the rear of the bed. the truck will be on e-85 hence, the 17-gallon size. Fuel will be running through dual Bosch 044 pumps and stainless hardline.

still a lot more to build and fab. I will try to take pictures as I work on it.

2. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    oh...my...goodness.... that is pretty dang rad! can't wait to see how it goes.

3. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Interesting. Good luck!

Curious why the FiTech? More adaptable than the stock fuel injection for this type of setup?

4. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    If you run it without boost let me know how it goes. I got the offy 4 barrel for the 20r I've been needing to buy something for it. I thought about the efi kits but the smallest 4 barrel one I could find was a 550 or so. What's the rating on your efi cfm wise?

5. Smokewagon

Smokewagon Member

Truck:
    1975 Hilux RN28
    Yes. Stock 22re injection is pretty bad. Also there is no way it could handle e85.

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Thats actually really cool. Considered doing FItech or the Holley Sniper kit. Just couldnt justify the cost of the possible HP gain. Im very interested in this build man

7. Smokewagon

Smokewagon Member

Truck:
    1975 Hilux RN28
    I am planning on breaking it in on N/A then hooking up the charge pipe. I will let you know how it goes.
    I'm not sure on CFM. FiTech rates their systems with HP. Mine is set up for 600HP. I have heard good and bad things about them but for the price, I figured I would give it a try.

As soon as someone builds a single plane manifold, I'll be ditching the dual plane.

8. Smokewagon

Smokewagon Member

Truck:
    1975 Hilux RN28
    I totally agree. I put a sniper 2bbl on an old pickup and it was great. All around better than stock...MPG, power, throttle response, etc etc. I was really lucky and found the kit at at swapmeet with nearly everything for $375.

Hopefully the Fitech pays off with boost. If not, I'll be putting a blow through holley carb on her.

Newer picture from this afternoon's water to air mockup session.

jetas likes this.
  9. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    The Holley dominator is single plane. Saw one for sale on ebay a few months ago. Right after I bought the offy. It was really nasty and needed sandblasting. The duel port is good for carbs with vacuum secondaries from what I've been looking into. No one really plays with these intakes and post about it. A lot of high hp builds get unnoticed. Facebook is bringing more of them out though.

Edit: just remembering now I have never seen a holley dominator for the 22r.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  10. Smokewagon

Smokewagon Member

Truck:
    1975 Hilux RN28
    I have seen a few Holly intakes over the years. usually, they go for more money than I am willing to spend. I am thinking about just making my own. Jim Putney (of 22REPerformance.com) is supposedly working on a new manifold and is in the testing stages.
    My original goal was to make this engine/trans combo out of nothing but off the shelf parts, however, not everything is compatible from an RE to a first-year 20R engine bay.

11. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I think I saw his 3d printed one he was prototyping. The bay isn't too bad as long as you're not trying to stuff a big radiator and fan in. Might be more room in the later model but that's my biggest problem for my rn22.

12. Markus Vandevender

Markus Vandevender Member

Truck:
    1978 Longbed
    Very nice build! Be careful though, it is technically "presmog", but between 1965 and 1975 youre still required to have all the factory smog equipment installed on the vehicle. Once you get down to 1965 and below its considered "uncontrolled" and you can do whatever you want to it. If you get an asshole cop, he can send you to ref and youd be screwed. Cops dont like imports usually lol.

13. Smokewagon

Smokewagon Member

Truck:
    1975 Hilux RN28
    I agree. I have access to a "smog" guy if needed. I just don't want to deal with it Biannually. I'm really relying on the fact that its going to look like the beater it is on the outside and, hopefully I'll be left alone.

Markus Vandevender likes this.
  14. Smokewagon

Smokewagon Member

Truck:
    1975 Hilux RN28
  15. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    The wheel makes that pee shooter exhaust look out of place

16. Markus Vandevender

Markus Vandevender Member

Truck:
    1978 Longbed
    I used to have one of those guys lol. He recently got caught unfortunately. :cry: wish i had an in at the BAR! :lol::lol:

17. Ty Schmidt

Ty Schmidt Newbie

18. Smokewagon

Smokewagon Member

Truck:
    1975 Hilux RN28
    It is actually there just for looks (I need to actually mount it again). I am running a 3" exhaust that will dump just in front of the rear axle.
    Thanks! It is a Vision wheel, Model #521 15 x 8 with 5" backspacing with Mickey Thompson ET Street S/S tires.

19. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    I was just teasing, the wheels look great, I love the patina look, not a fan of pee shooters.

20. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    *pea shooter... unless you have problems for a different forum...

Are those rims aloy or steel?