Brake Master Cyl replacement

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Markus Vandevender, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Markus Vandevender

Markus Vandevender Member

Truck:
    1978 Longbed
    Has anyone ever done some sort of aftermarket brake master replacement? With my LS swap i put a ford 8.8 in the rear with disk brakes and ill be doing bigger brakes up front soon. I want to just go full manual brakes, I dont really want the big brake booster in the engine bay. Ive been looking at some Wilwood tandem masters with an aftermarket proportioning valve on them.

https://www.wilwood.com/MasterCylin...luminum Tandem M/C Kit with Bracket and Valve

Just want to hear suggestions or comments on what other people have successfully used in the means of aftermarket and not later model OE replacement.

2. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    If you do much driving in this truck keep the vacuum booster. Unless of course you have legs like kegs.

Markus Vandevender likes this.
  3. Markus Vandevender

Truck:
    1978 Longbed
    Its not going to be a daily or anything, mainly a track/show truck. I have no qualms about having to press harder, its a 2500lb truck with brakes meant for a 5000lb truck. Shouldn't be too hard to stop, and itll give me better feel at the pedal.

4. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    I went bigger booster & bigger master ,both off a 4x4 or 4 Runner as have large disks all around.
    You would go Hydro boost, if you have power steering, think Wilwood has a unit , & know a lot of people get them off other rides.

5. Markus Vandevender

Truck:
    1978 Longbed
    The only thing about this truck is that it has a dual master, and no proportioning valve. Most of the newer stuff has a single master and a proportioning valve in the back. I just dont really want to mess with any of my lines if i dont have to. Also im not running power steering either so hydroboost is kind of a bust.

6. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    Ive used a couple of different approaches to removing the booster from under the hood in builds I've done. you can get a remote booster which you can mount anywhere you like, under the tub would be a good spot and you only need a brake master cylinder under the hood. If you want to delete the cylinders from under the hood, you can use a van pedal box, brake booster and cylinder. You do however need a bit of room under the dash and Its not an easy mod. I couldn't find an image of the Hiace pedal box I used, but it looks like this company is making a kit that looks identical
    https://www.rrs-online.com.au/stealth-under-dash-brake-booster.html
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...13&_nkw=+Remote+Mount++Brake+Booster&_sacat=0

Attached Files:

7. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    The master I used is a duel feed & I have a Willwood proportioning valve mounted on the rear axle

Attached Files:

8. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    If you want a booster, but not under the hood there are electric boosters out there. There are options to relocating the master cylinder altogether, but that requires fabbing lines.

9. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    In a race/show build a booster is not required. Some classes may not even allow one. More control and consistency without one.

10. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Did you ever find a master? My boost is going to be useless with my setup and need to get something. Wounding if the chase bays unit would work?

11. Markus Vandevender

Truck:
    1978 Longbed
    I havent yet unfortunately. Ive been trying to save some money to get new tires for it, so i can drive it soon. Im gonna get some grabber at2s, so i can rip it around on the short course at my ohv area. moneys been a little tight recently though.