Swapped in a 5 spd transmission, question about mount

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Henry, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Henry

Henry Enthusiast

I'm in the process of swapping in a w50 (5 spd) into my 77. It used to have the 4 spd so this will be a much needed upgrade. The w50 is bolted onto the 20R, and I'm in the process of modifying the transmission bracket. I thought I would be able to just drill the extra holes needed to bolt the w50 mount onto the plate, but it appears I will need to do a bit more work.

From what I can tell the mount on the transmission sits a little lower than the 4 spd did so I will need to modify the crossmember a little more than anticipated. Has anyone done this? I have a welder and have no problem cutting a welding something that will work, but I was curious what other people have done.

2. Markus Vandevender

Markus Vandevender Member

Truck:
    1978 Longbed
    Someone had swapped in a 5 speed to mine from a 4 speed. I cant quite remember exactly how they did it as ive now modified it for my LS swap, bu i know the basically cut 8-10in out of the center, welded a piece of .187 sheet metal to join them again, and added some angle iron to the bottom as a stiffener. then adjusted to original mount to where they needed it and welded that in. I kept the bottom piece of metal, but boxed everything in, added some gussets and plating and burned it all in. Heres a pic so you have an idea.[​IMG]

3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Cut the center out of mine and and used a c notch my friend had laying around. Its 2x3 3/16 wall. Cut the top center section Out so the trans would drop In
    [​IMG]

4. Ernesto Lugo Ramos

Ernesto Lugo Ramos Newbie

Yo quiero colocar la transmisión de 4 velocidades a mi pickup 79 pero queda separado cerca de 3" ¿ que puedo hacer?

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Separado de donde? De el motor o donde sienta atras?

6. Ernesto Lugo Ramos

Exacto de donde se sienta y no se ve como colocar el soporte que deberia llevar.

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Tiene el soporte de metal que cruza de lado a lado de el chassis? Y tambien necessita el soporte de goma entre la transmision y el soporte de metal

8. Ernesto Lugo Ramos

[QUOTE = "jetas, post: 236775, member: 1097"] Tiene el soporte de metal que cruza de lado a lado del chasis? Y tambien necesita el soporte de goma entre la transmision y el soporte de metal [/ QUOTE]
    Si tiene el soporte de metal pero el soporte de goma no se como buscarlo porque trae esa transmision que no corresponde al pickup.

9. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    [/ QUOTE]
    Si tiene el soporte de metal pero el soporte de goma no se como buscarlo porque trae esa transmision que no corresponde al pickup.[/QUOTE]

no sabes de que salio la transmision?

10. Ernesto Lugo Ramos

Asi es, no tengo la seguridad si era de un Celica trae un numero de serie 33111- 31010 pero no encuentro informacion.

11. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Puedes manda una foto de tu transmision? Y de la locacion en la transmision donde se atornilla el soporte de goma. Porque como hay variastransmisiones de 4 velocidades. Puede ser de la serie L o serie W.