4runner conversion

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Elihu Quintanilla, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Elihu Quintanilla

Elihu Quintanilla Newbie

So I have a 92 4runner that I’m stripping. I want to make sure I know what’s worth taking off and swapping into my 2wd.

so fenders, grille, bumper, headlights, dash, steering column, clock, map light, guage cluster, dash speaker box. Center column, seats . That’s all I can think of. Let me know if they’re other things I can swap into the truck to make it better

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I think the doors interchange and you could always chop out the core support for the 4 runner grille and light swap, seats too

Mr.Mini_4.0 likes this.
  3. Lee Gin

Lee Gin Newbie

Grab handles above the doors and the ac unit. If the 4runner is stick 4wheel drive you can install the clutch cancel switch into your truck too.

4. Elihu Quintanilla

Elihu Quintanilla Newbie

Is there a plug for it in the truck?

5. Lee Gin

Lee Gin Newbie

No plug in the truck but you can splice 2 wires to make it work. One wire will go to the yellow ignition wire that's under the steering column the other will splice into the switch that's at the clutch pedal. It's an easy install once you locate the wires. I would do all the upgrades all at the same time because you will have the dash taken apart. I'm talking about the gauge cluster, the clock, speakers, double din stereo and clutch cancel switch. I forgot you can also get the glove box light and switch from the 4runner to install in your truck too. It would also be good to replace all the dash lights with leds.

Elihu Quintanilla likes this.
  6. Elihu Quintanilla

Elihu Quintanilla Newbie

Yea I’m in the process of doing all that right now. I’m snagged right now due to my double din stereo not fitting

7. Lee Gin

Lee Gin Newbie

What part of the double din stereo not fitting? If its the face plate not fitting then you may have to file around the edges where the stereo slides through. That's what I had to do to get mine to fit. I used the harbor freight files.

8. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Factory stereo brackets should hold the double din in place

9. Elihu Quintanilla

Elihu Quintanilla Newbie

Like it bolts in. But it’s super low. Like 2inches low. I’ll post pictures tomorrow

10. Lee Gin

Lee Gin Newbie

The brackets have left and right sides, you may have them on the wrong sides

jetas likes this.
  11. Elihu Quintanilla

Elihu Quintanilla Newbie

Anyone know where to remove spot welds on the 4runner to remove the front core support?