eBay Fender Mirrors

Discussion in 'Exterior/Body' started by KS.ID, Mar 25, 2020.

1. KS.ID

KS.ID Enthusiast

Truck:
    RN22 1972 Hilux
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  2. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Just guessing - looks like you drill two holes (main spring mount and the locator pin), take it apart and install with the spring base inside fender. I'd likely dab on some paint/nailpolish to the hole to seal exposed metal from rusting.

Which ones on eBay were these? I have been thinking of getting some of these that were <$50 vs the expensive ones but was worried they'd be crap quality. I added a small round rat-rod style clamping mirror to my passenger side door and while it's acceptable quality for the price, it's super rattly when truck is running and aesthetically doesn't really look as good as these chrome style fender mirrors

3. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Get a step drill bit a pull the measurement on where you want to dill. The pics to help you line it up in the right spot.

Also if you can get someone hold the mirror as you fasten it will help a lot. Or maybe painters tape if not possible. Otherwise you're holding the mirror and trying to start the nut while holding up the backing plate, spring and washer. It's a bitch. Remember 6ft and dont touch your face.

20191211_080845.jpg

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    KS.ID likes this.
  4. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux

The cheaper ones have a little bit of pitting but it's not bad. Mostly around the base. Otherwise good. Not flimsy or anything. I get some shacking but there is a good bit of bolts missing on my rig. Lmao

I thought there was more messed up but that's about the only thing that looks bad. Same on the other side.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  5. KS.ID

KS.ID Enthusiast

Truck:
    RN22 1972 Hilux
    Thanks for the tip! I went with these after seeing Pearce get them. They closely match what is shown in the brochure.

Thanks for chiming in! I knew you had done this recently.
    Love this images from the brochure, I was looking at this one but the side profile is the winner for this project!

[​IMG]

6. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Oh yeah @74RN22 came on here sharing the website with that brochure I was inspired. After seeing the original artic white paint in the engine bay and it's the first color you see in the brochure I really was about doing a near stock jdm look. Probably won't try to get the hub caps. I like my dog dishes. Got my own idea for a rack as well.

7. KS.ID

KS.ID Enthusiast

Truck:
    RN22 1972 Hilux
    Update:

Went to Autozone and picked up a stepped drill bit and had these installed in about 1hr. These mirrors are nice for the price! (Ebay special) A little stubborn to adjust, but do work well! They do not rattle and are period correct replicas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Truck looks good man.

have you tried hitting the paint with a clay bar and a little bit of rubbing compound and polish? Looks like it would come back very nicely

9. KS.ID

KS.ID Enthusiast

Truck:
    RN22 1972 Hilux
    I tried in a little spot on the hood, I was concerned I was taking off the paint because the towel was turning red!

10. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Yeah... unfortunately, you were. But, you have to. It's mostly oxidized paint and will need to come off to get shiny paint. And, unfortunately, red is worst for oxidation. Especially the single stage red on these (older) trucks/cars. But then, you risk having bare spots of exposed primer. It's a catch-22 situation.

11. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Just keep at it and the color will come thru. Definitely will be removing some color but itl be worth it. If mine didnt have so much surface rust i wouldve polished more than a couple patches.