T100 gauge cluster swap

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by Avery Rucker, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Avery Rucker

Avery Rucker Member

Truck:
    92 Toyota pickup base
    Hey everyone,

I have a 92 pickup that is 4 cylinder and 2wd. I want to put a gauge cluster that has a tach in it since it's a manual transmission. I was looking online at the SR5 4runner but they are getting more expensive every time I look. I was wondering if the T100 clusters were compatible with the Toyota pickups? I've already read about the cable vs electronic speedo and the oil pressure sending unit but I just wanted to know if T100 is good to go like the SR5 is.

Thanks

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Probably wont physically fit. Is there a junkyard near you?

3. Avery Rucker

Avery Rucker Member

Truck:
    92 Toyota pickup base
    There is a pick a part place but according to them they don't have any pickups or 4runners or T100s in stock at the moment.

4. jjmartinez1987

jjmartinez1987 Member

Truck:
    1995 Pickup
    i would keep looking for the sr5.. and besides the oil pressure sending unit you will have to run a tach wire from the ignition coil... its no biggie but dont expect the tach to plug and play.... also you need to adjust the resistance of the tach meter via a potentiometer based on whether you pulled the cluster from a v6 or i4. Everything else will plug and play speedo, voltage, temp. its not a big deal to reset the milage either i had to otherwise i would not be able to smog or get tags.

5. Avery Rucker

Avery Rucker Member

Truck:
    92 Toyota pickup base
    Thanks. I guess SR5 will continue. Now I just have to double-check cable vs no cable for the speedo. I've seen other posts on how to adjust the tach, shouldn't be too hard.

6. Avery Rucker

Avery Rucker Member

Truck:
    92 Toyota pickup base
    So good news. I just scored a 4runner cluster for only 30 bucks. I was actually picking up a new dash and asked the guy if he had any 4runners he was parting out and he actually did. He said if I pulled it I could have it for only 30. Needless to say I grabbed it up quick. I'll install it tomorrow.

jetas likes this.
  7. jjmartinez1987

jjmartinez1987 Member

Truck:
    1995 Pickup
  8. Avery Rucker

Avery Rucker Member

Truck:
    92 Toyota pickup base
  9. Avery Rucker

Avery Rucker Member

Truck:
    92 Toyota pickup base
    So I just pulled my cluster to do the swap and it most definitely is not a cable speedo :duh:. The guy I bought the cluster from pointed to something coming out of the firewall to what looked like the throttle body and said the cable is right here. He is a mechanic of many years so I just rolled with it. Needless to say I can't use this on my truck so I'm back on the hunt.

10. Avery Rucker

Avery Rucker Member

Truck:
    92 Toyota pickup base
    So after a number of frustrating hours I was able to successfully install the new SR5 cluster and wire the tach to work at the correct RPM. I also did the speaker box upgrade as well as the double map light install. It took me way longer than it should have since each step I'd forget to connect something or I realized something else had to be put in first to work. Anyways, it's all back together and looks so much better. The lame part is now my radio doesn't work so I can't even determine if those boxes helped the sound in my truck or not. I didn't bother rolling my odometer since I practiced on my old one and broke all the tabs holding the face of the cluster since it was so brittle. My title says exempt so I'll just do the math when it comes to maintenance.

Cheers

11. jjmartinez1987

jjmartinez1987 Member

Truck:
    1995 Pickup
    Yeah it took me a while too i think i spent like 3 hours carfully removing the gear rod on the odometer just to correct the milage... god im glad i didnt break it.

12. joefromdover

joefromdover Newbie

hello everyone. super newbie here, my first post. i have a few questions regarding the cluster swap upgrade. just for background and set the table.... i have a 1992 toyota/winnebago motorhome. these micro mini mh's were last made in 1994. basically they are a toyota one ton dually cab/chassis married to a small coach. i wish to remove the original instrument cluster and upgrade to one that has the tach as well as actual gauges. this has been done by other owners of these rigs with success. usually the donor or replacement cluster is from a t-00 or 4runner. the model years for acceptable donor clusters are from 92 to 95. here are my questions i am hoping to find the answers to . hoping those of you with much greater knowledge may help me out. i have the 3.0 v6 motor with automatic trans and 2wd. if a donor cluster came from a 3.4v6 vehicle would the cluster be ok to swap although i have a 3.0v6? also, if donor vehicle cluster came from a 4wd would that prevent from swapping to 2wd??. i also am aware that there are cable driven speedo's and electronic speedo's. i have an electronic version. i have found a donor cluster on ebay that meets my requirements except that the seller can not remember if the donor vehicle was a 3.4 v6 or 3.0v6. basically this is why i am hoping to find the answers. i apologize for my ignorance.thanks so much in advance. joefromdover

13. BatryOpratedBoy

BatryOpratedBoy Enthusiast

Truck:
    Brave Little Toaster (Diana) and Salsa Verde (Traction Control)
    Far as I know, the drive train or motor type doesn't matter to the cluster, the engine is just a tach signal (which is adjustable inside the cluster). Only thing that may matter is the gear selector since I know it lights up in the automatic-specific cluster. I'm also pretty sure that all t100 clusters I've found have been cable drive.

joefromdover likes this.
  14. joefromdover

joefromdover Newbie

hi there. thanks so much for the reply. i have found a couple clusters that are non cable driven and really do not know if they were from a t-100 or from a 4runner. as far as i know,(which obviously is not too much), the PNDRL2 on the cluster should light up if it is so equipped. thanks again your info has helped. joefromdover