LM4 LS swapped 78 Longbed

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Markus Vandevender, Jan 7, 2020.

1. _Quickfox

_Quickfox Enthusiast

Stout > All. Work on the tunnel looks great; make sure when she's ripping u make us a video, before you sell it!

..and when u do get a Stout, don't cut a hole in the hood :) jk it's ur lyfe lol yolo dwuw ttyl fr fr #lit #youonlyyoloonce

I think I had a stroke..maybe I missed it but are you going to tub the bed for big tires?

*Edit* gosh it looks so badass with the hole in the hood

2. Markus Vandevender

Markus Vandevender Member

Truck:
    1978 Longbed
    hahaha i dont think ill cut the hood on one. i want to do a similar setup to this, but with as little cutting as possible. meaning corvette accessory drive, fast lsx intake instead of that beautiful edelbrock one :( and selling this truck would bring me more money than i had to build this one. Id get a legit LS1, not a 5.3 and pay someone to make me headers that fit going down and back instead of forward. id probably still have to do tunnel work, thats hard to help.

side note...if i end up keeping this truck i think im gonna take 3in out of the roof :shrug:

_Quickfox likes this.
  3. _Quickfox

_Quickfox Enthusiast

The FAST intake looks good, and what fits-fits. Chop it!! Pssh the tunnel, the whole floor, the firewall, the frame: nobody worried 'bout the lot. I may be more attached to my beds' floor then others, but even they gotta go sometime.

4. Markus Vandevender

Truck:
    1978 Longbed
  5. _Quickfox

_Quickfox Enthusiast

Oh yeah, they're out here in AZ, IDK if their service is that knowledgeable...and their products are just all right. That said got no input on a kit like that...never seen one like it.

I do on the other hand own a factory convertible hard top..it's sweet; it is also engineered to be rigid. I would think it'd be tough to build that rigidity into the roof of the truck without careful re-engineering..it will be heavy..and I'll bet that kit won't get you past the 50% point to a functional hard top.

Just some thoughts, no real clue.

-Aaron

*Edits don't know how to grammar*orspell
    *↓↓↓wild!!!↓↓↓*

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    Markus Vandevender likes this.
  6. Markus Vandevender

Truck:
    1978 Longbed
    That was my thought exactly cuz i know when you chop something youre supposed to weld a shit ton of braces inside the cab to make it hold its structure while the roof is off. i cant see the cab being very stable without a roof unless you strengthened everything. Be kinda cool to do a chop, cage it and then do a hard top though haha.

_Quickfox likes this.
  7. _Quickfox

_Quickfox Enthusiast

Not going to be a lot of space chop/cage/hardtop; But the cage will do well to brace the cab.

While ur at it just bodydrop it to maximize crampedness :) looks like you're on your way w/ the skills and tooling tho, keep it up!

Killer truck bud, love a wild build, not too many home fabricator do what you do.

8. Markus Vandevender

Truck:
    1978 Longbed
    Yeah i dont think ill do it, if anything just the chop lol that is if i dont get the stouts. But thanks man i appreciate it. I tend to get ideas in my head and go down research black holes until i figure something out. This build has been a huge learning experience tbh. While i love it i think my next build will be cleaner and more well thought-out. was kinda just flying by the seat of my pants here :lol:

_Quickfox likes this.
  9. _Quickfox

_Quickfox Enthusiast

↑relatable

10. Markus Vandevender

Truck:
    1978 Longbed
    So i havent really done much over the past week, I got the tunnel pulled out and did a full weld on it on the bench. Got the brake line adapter in the mail and got the rear brakes hooked up now. I measured for a driveline, that should be made this weekend sometime hopefully. I also set the bed back on it just to see how much my tires poked, being as the axle is 1in wider per side than stock. I ordered up some new springs for the front too which will bring me back to factory height. For pictures sake i jacked up the front level to the rear now that i have the bed on and the cowl scoop semi-done. I kinda like the factory height. gives it a sleeper feel.

Last night i went about starting to install my seats, i got both the front mounts done, my buddy had a nutsert gun so i just put some nutserts in the center support to bolt to. i think for the rear im going to use some 1x2 box tube under each leg with some form of nutsert in it as well but im not sure yet.

More on the interior design, once i take a test drive and am satisfied, ill be building a media center under the dash like a normal car. I plan on doing a 8-9in android stereo built in so i can run my tuner app directly from the dash instead of having to use my phone or a separate tablet. It has alot of the necessary gauges so i wont have to install many at all.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Markus Vandevender

Truck:
    1978 Longbed
    Didnt do shit this weekend besides clean the garage a bit and take some pictures... my 4runner decided to shoot a spark plug out so i had to deal with that mess lol. But I got this sweet pic though![​IMG]

jetas likes this.
  12. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    That engine looks so nice in there

13. Markus Vandevender

Truck:
    1978 Longbed
    Anyone have experience with Z racks or bed lifts? Shit seems super fun and prettt easy to accomplish but itd be cool to have plans for an easier build

14. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Oh shit you talking dancing bed. I think guys started doing that because they had alot of hydraulic equipment laying around. Lmao

15. Markus Vandevender

Truck:
    1978 Longbed
    yeah the first time i saw that shit i was dying laughing but then it came around and i was like "damn thats cool as fuck" lmao. just something you dont see anymore

16. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    The crazier it is the cooler it is. If you do it make it rotate. And a splitting tonneau cover to top it off. But If you have planes to sell you might not want to do it. Not going to help the sell price and the money involved will not be worth it.

17. Markus Vandevender

Truck:
    1978 Longbed
    Progress folks! got my driveline finished, have to press in the ujoints tonight when i get home. In my rush i think i might have put my clutch in backwards (oops) but we'll find out when i slap the driveline in tonight and see if i can drive it!
    [​IMG]

18. Markus Vandevender

Truck:
    1978 Longbed
    Got the driveline in and finally have power to the wheels! working out some small kinks, i figured out the clutch, took almost 4 hours to bleed the damn thing total, but it disengages now just fine. I got the hood back on, the scoop painted and hood pins in place as i had to eliminate the factory latch. Only a few small things nows, i need to bleed my brakes, wire up my e-fan and do some rewiring on my lights. along with fixing a couple leaks that i have, one at the thermostat and one on the oil line going to my remote oil filter. But we're so close to driving!![​IMG]

_Quickfox and jetas like this.
  19. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Cant wait to see videos of this blowing the tires off

20. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Looks & sounds great.
    Very nice work!
    Hope to see it at a show or Mini Truck meet up.