LM4 LS swapped 78 Longbed

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Markus Vandevender, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Markus Vandevender

Markus Vandevender Member

Truck:
    1978 Longbed
    No room to back the trans away from the motor. Btw from what ive heard, 79-84 spindles bolt right up our trucks and the steering is in front. You might be able to use those in combo with your rack and make something work

2. Bottle

Bottle Member

I actually have a set of 79 spindles in my living room haha. But I'm going to use them reverse to run disk brakes. I don't want to do that as I would need another rack and pinion. But I see on the trans. There is another member in the pre 75 forum that is In the midst of an ls swap just like you. I just spoke with him, he has an auto trans and an uncut tunnel. Though I am unsure of the size differences between the transmissions. Sorry for all the questions, the guy who is mounting my engine is worried he has to cut the tunnel and that would drive my cost way up, but if I can get away with not I'm all for it haha. Thanks for the responses man

Markus Vandevender likes this.
  3. Markus Vandevender

Truck:
    1978 Longbed
    New sticker incoming [​IMG]

Dan McBoost and Bottle like this.
  4. Markus Vandevender

Truck:
    1978 Longbed
    I got a little bit of work done tonight, my throttle cable finally came in and i was able to get that hooked up. I got my cooling system completely done, hose clamps on everything and fan mounted in place. waiting on the male side of the connector to come in the mail so i can wire it up. My standalone ecu already has wires for 2 fans, i dont have to connect any relays or anything to run it. I also got the other side of my grille painted, the hood trimmed out in the areas it hits (which isnt much) and i finally was able to finish fabbing up the top radiator mount as well. drilled and tapped 4 holes into the crossrail and tapped a slightly larger hole in the center to mount my center support to. Probably gonna rip it all apart tomorrow, grind down some rough edges and put some radii on the bottom edge of the mount then paint everything. then i can put my grille back on permanently! Just need to put my master cyl on now and wrap the other header. to be done with the front end. [​IMG][/IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

_Quickfox and Bottle like this.
  5. Markus Vandevender

Truck:
    1978 Longbed
    I also am going to look at some wheels this weekend. the current ones i have wont work with the new rear axle. Theyre some staggered TSW's 9.5 wide rears and 8.5 fronts. Hope they fit[​IMG]

6. Bottle

Bottle Member

Very nice dude, looks great! Is the throttle linkage feeling smooth?

Markus Vandevender likes this.
  7. Markus Vandevender

Truck:
    1978 Longbed
    It wasnt at first, i had the pedal bolted a bit too snug so it didn't snap back when released. But i just loosened it a little and it feels great. Its a lokar LS1 cable from summit

8. Markus Vandevender

Truck:
    1978 Longbed
    I spent the day bleeding the coolant on this thing and installing the clutch master cyl. gave me an opportunity to start up the truck again and keep it running for awhile. oh boy i miss the sound of this thing hahaha. once again I bought the wrong radiator cape though. think im just going to have to order the one that summit offers to stop the guessing game lol. i went in with a dremel cutoff wheel under the dash to install the new S10 master, it requires a square hole instead of a round one, it locks in place by twisting instead of bolting on. im going to have to modify the pushrod on it, ill cut off the one from my toyota one and weld it on the the other rod with a sleeve. The S10 one has the wrong end currently and its just straight too long. I also got the braided stainless hydraulic line on order. Currently waiting on paint to dry to install my front end again.

By the way does anyone know if brake boosters are compatible between most toyotas? i was thinking about doing a booster delete with a willwood master and they sell kits for supras/cressidas/lexus IS etc. its either that or go find a geo metro booster and a T100 master. Ill post some videos of the truck running later tonight.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Bottle

Bottle Member

I was looking at a supra booster delete too, I've been having trouble finding dimensions on it so I was jut gonna pull the trigger and get it. But if you do, you can be the Ginnie pig haha

10. Markus Vandevender

Truck:
    1978 Longbed
    Finished plumbing the clutch master today, took FOREVER to bleed that shit, and im still not even sure if its 100% pedal feels soft but i can look through the hole for the clutch line and see the pressure plate moving when the pedals pressed. I also fired it up and tried to shift and i can shift without grinding. So idk if the chevy clutch is just softer than im used to or what. I also got all the seals and bearings back in the rear axle, the c clips back in and all the brakes on. Ordered all the driveline components as well. Got a nice 4in aluminum chevy shaft with 1350 joints on each end. Just getting a adapter flange for the explorer axle, chopping off the transmission end, shortening it and welding on a new end.

Side note: anyone have a part number for adapting toyota brakes to the explorer hardline? not quite sure what sizes they both are to find an adapter. Pic is pretty much finished engine bay minus the driver side wrap.[​IMG]

11. _Quickfox

_Quickfox Enthusiast

This truck is gonna be so fast! Gotta be the lightest bodystyle..I feel dis! Got nothing to add but praise! :applause:

12. Markus Vandevender

Truck:
    1978 Longbed
    Thanks man! I think with the aluminum block in this thing it'll probably weigh close to stock if not less. Meaning like 2500lbs with me in it lol. About a .18 power to weight ratio if im making 450hp. The new C8 is only .15 hahah. but thats all assuming i can get power to the road lol

_Quickfox likes this.
  13. Markus Vandevender

Truck:
    1978 Longbed
    A couple of my driveline parts are on backorder until the 20th so i decided to take some time and work on my transmission tunnel. I was going to try and just patch my floorpans but they were pretty caput so i just cut them out and replaced them. Theres a few really bad spots where i need to weld the new ones back in though so i think ill just bridge the gap to fresh metal with a small strip of new stuff in those areas. The tunnels almost done, i had to stop so i can attend a wedding tonight. Didnt start with any templates or anything just an idea in my head, a sheet of 16ga and an angle grinder lol. The small pieces in the transition from floor to firewall took fuckall forever to fit up. But i think its turning out pretty good. I'm not going to cap the back until my driveline is done, in case i need to cut the rest of the factory tunnel out. The driveline is 4in diameter so its gonna get a bit tight. I'm going to be cutting a section out of the carrier bearing crossmember and making a driveline hoop in it
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Toyoterra and jetas like this.
  14. Markus Vandevender

Truck:
    1978 Longbed
    Finished the drivers side of the tunnel after removing the gas pedal. i was able to keep the original mounting point and bracket. Ill have to trim maybe .187 off the corner of the bracket to get it so bolt back in but the pedal goes all the way down without hitting the new tunnel. I need to make one more cover plate for the very top where it meets the firewall. Im still out of gas which is why the tacks are all gross. Im going to fill both my bottles this weekend though, ill make sure its all tacked together solid and Ill pull the whole thing out to TIG it on the bench.

I am definitely going to have to cut the rest of my tunnel out unfortunately. I got my driveshaft ends in, Im running 1350 joints on both ends with a 4.0 diameter tube. I could probably get by by just hammering the tunnel out a bit, but if i ever want to go lower in the future again Itll have to be done. so might as well do it now. Got both of these through dennys driveshaft, shipping was only a few days.[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

_Quickfox likes this.
  15. Markus Vandevender

Truck:
    1978 Longbed
    Cowl scoop anyone?[​IMG] [​IMG]

_Quickfox likes this.
  16. _Quickfox

_Quickfox Enthusiast

If that's the kind of thing you're into :) two questions: necessary; and/or wider?

I realize it follows the bodyline just looks funny to me.

Idk, I sorta like the hole in the hood, opinions.

-Aaron

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  17. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Id say no to the cowl and do more of a bulge.

18. Markus Vandevender

Truck:
    1978 Longbed
    It is necessary for sure, im in cali and if I were to leave the hole in the hood itd raise all sorts of red flags for me to be pulled over. So i gotta do something, but the hole is too far forward to really do a scoop per say. Most scoops are middle of the hood ish. As far as going wider, itd be cool but i don't have the means of bending a flat piece to the radius of the notch at the front of the hood. If i were fiberglassing maybe. But not with metal.

_Quickfox likes this.
  19. Markus Vandevender

Truck:
    1978 Longbed
    A bulge would be cool. But I dont wanna bust out the old stump and bean bag and make a curved piece haha shit would take forever

_Quickfox likes this.
  20. Markus Vandevender

Truck:
    1978 Longbed
    Also, once i finish this truck it may be for sale. Guy i know is selling not 1, but 2 stouts for a great price. Both rust free. With all the work and love ive given this truck, Ive wanted a stout since i was a kid.