1974 Barn Find RN22 Toyota Hilux

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by 74RN22, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    You could probably take some flat plate and bend it up. Then make an I beam out of it and gusset it in the spots you bend.

Attached Files:

74RN22 likes this.
  2. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I have time to kill. Lol

Worked out perfect. My brake parts came about a minute after posting this.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    74RN22 likes this.
  3. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    Outstanding!!

I like the drawing and see what you now mean about the beam in your truck. It looks like whom ever was preparing the truck so that it could be dropped or lowered.

Well, Just returned from the machine shop and can now officially declare the original engine block is beyond repair.

That is actually great news since I needed the parts from that block for a future build. I was missing:
    1. Oil Pan Undamaged
    2. Crankshaft
    3. Transmission adapter plate (between engine and tranny)
    4. Crankcase breather/block off side of block
    5. Single belt crank pulley
    6. Some used bolts (Under Cam) (Short engine head bolts are perfect length for the engine stand)
    7. The engine block will make a great anvil stand or mount for vise or Bottom support for a welding table!!

4. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    Well the day started out good, the rear sliding window arrived today, kind of unexpected since I was told that the window would not ship out from the factory until today. Glad that they were ahead of schedule.

Since the majority of part are here, I chose to remove the brake master, clutch master and brake booster from the firewall.

Had to continue the cleaning of the inside of the cabinet and finally removed the seat to get the broken glass from under and behind it. Found some old screwdrivers (each 2), an Oil Can which the handle was frozen, and the Big payoff, $00.25 or a quarter.

After I got all of the old trash removed, my eyes focused on the passengers side of the truck to see the inside panel was wrinkled, showing what I originally suspected when i saw a crack under the passengers door on the kick panel.

That panel is possibly packed with Bog or filler.

Will see in a few days..

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  5. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    Passenger side window was sitting at the bottom of the door was would rattle if I touched that door which was driving me to finally get out the correct pick an remove the window crank handle, three screws an the door card. What I found was an unbroken glass that was out of its frame.

This was a different door than I was use to because the window did not have the normal guides attached to the glass so that when raised it followed the track.

No! this was glass into the guide rail and the bottom of the glass was once held in place by some kind of adhesive that had long since lost its hold on that pane of glass. My question is, which adhesive was used to secure that glass and any ideas where i can purchase more of it. I looks like it was white or clear...

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    On my windows it wasnt adhesive, its some kind of thin rubber

74RN22 likes this.
  7. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    Ok, so I looked in the parts book to see what you were referring to and still do not know why that would be the only way to secure the window.

Let me look at it again in the daylight and see if I can see some way to keep that glass in the track, but I'm gonna glue it to something...

[​IMG]
    https://i.imgur.com/OCaIatL.jpg[/img]']https://i.imgur.com/OCaIatL.jpg[/img]']https://i.imgur.com/wdSSLoq.jpg[/img]'][​IMG]
    https://i.imgur.com/OCaIatL.jpg[/img]']https://i.imgur.com/OCaIatL.jpg[/img]']https://i.imgur.com/0wKcxrl.jpg[/img]'][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  8. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Doubt its the only way but i have 4 doors here and 3 of the 4 had the rubber holding the glass in

74RN22 likes this.
  9. carinaguy

carinaguy Member

Truck:
    1976 Long bed
    The thing holding the glass to the track is just a rubber strip. It is held tight by compression only. Adhesives are not recommended. The strips are in the pic you linked, the number is 68171.

I have had to replace them on several Toyota restorations and the best thing I found is thin bicycle inner tube material. If you do use glue, make sure you know EXACTLY where they go on the glass and that you don't have any binding with the regulator. If the glass binds going up or down the rubber is supposed to allow it to adjust. If it is locked in tight with adhesive it is possible to shatter the glass. Don't ask me how I know.

https://i.imgur.com/OCaIatL.jpg[/img]']https://i.imgur.com/OCaIatL.jpg[/img]']https://i.imgur.com/wdSSLoq.jpg[/img]'][​IMG]
    https://i.imgur.com/OCaIatL.jpg[/img]']https://i.imgur.com/OCaIatL.jpg[/img]']https://i.imgur.com/OCaIatL.jpg[/img]']https://i.imgur.com/0wKcxrl.jpg[/img]']
    [/QUOTE]

74RN22 likes this.
  10. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Thats good to know.

11. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    Thanks for that information. I somehow found that item on Ebay after your suggestion and its currently on order.
    (eBay item number: 281265869773)

Picked up the crankshaft from the machinist.. Now minus $130.00 bucks to have it turned under-size 0.010.

Cleaned up very well. Gonna double check with a micrometer in a few ..

Cooler weather was welcomed when it arrived, someone sent down the northern winds, not too bad, just made the driveway slab colder. Glad I picked up a creeper before that weather slipped in..

Got to pull the engine and transmission from the Celica this weekend, since the lower chain tension failed on the 18R-C. Worth it to get that block out and broken down. The transmission will be heading to the truck.

That's about it for now.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    Pearce likes this.
  12. carinaguy

carinaguy Member

Truck:
    1976 Long bed
    Took a second to look this up because I was a bit surprised that they might be available. Like I said, I have had to make my own for a couple decades now. Looks like what you ordered on ebay are the "belt" moldings at the top of the door. Those would be #68161 and 68170 in the diagram. They don't hold the glass to the regulator track, but do help keep the glass from rattling and in the proper alignment as it raises and lowers. Those parts are good to replace too.[​IMG][/QUOTE]

13. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    Oh well, I guess I will see after they arrive..:brickknock::brickknock::brickknock:

Lowe's is just down the road less than 1/2 mile, so I will try a window track rubber from their glass department to see if it is thin enough to grip te bottom of that glass; If I find something that works, I'll post the item number and pricing...

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Pearce likes this.
  14. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    Well late yesterday afternoon, I went inside the garage to start pulling the engine out of the Celica and ran into a small problem with having too much stuff in the way.
    (Wanted that W-40 for possible install in the Truck.)

All summer I had the riding lawn mower parked next to everything to include a lot of empty containers from the move in.

I looked around and it actually was not a lot of items, just very large items which soon ended outside so that I could make some room.

I finally took a look inside the storage shed and removed all of the spider webs and cut down some of the plant life that had crawled under the front entrance and the vines that had claimed the front door as their support dropping down from the tree branches from overhead, this is Georgia, reclaim the land before it decides for you...

Soon all of the empty Black and yellow plastic storage bins and wooden contains had a new home as well as the Lawn mower which Just barely fit with a bungie cord holding up the plastic grass shoot by an inch on either side of the doorway.

Success!! The only thing that was left to move was the spare tire for the one ton GMC which somehow the folks at Firestone couldn’t figure out how to mount it back under the bed of the truck. I thought, that easy, let me get this back where it belongs. It took a bit because I now see what their problem was.

See that installed tow-bar hitch had them confused. The guy who installed it moved the installation support bolt, back and addition two inches an drilled and had installed the mount point hole to the cross bar section instead of the main frame. (I lost about an Hour total)

To make sure that this does not happen again in the future, I have now color coded the long bolt and mount location hole with Yellow paint. I also added a sheet of ¾ plywood cut a bit larger than the floor jack to the bed of the truck, as a just in case foundation if you ever have to jack up your truck off of a paved surface…

So now, I rearranged the cars and made working room for the RN22 to be worked on also. The truck rolls so easy that after I took it off of the Jack stands. I had attempted to push it, by myself across the lawn, I would have done when I was like, 40 years old…Ha! Ha! Ha!

I managed to push it half way when I realized the steering would have me hit the side of the garage corner wall so I lost traction as I switch my position. I did proudly push it exactly half of the distance to the garage doorway.

I got the tow-straps and the big truck and pulled the rest of the way to the paved surface. Once it was on the pad, I could move it around like pushing a lawn mower.

Parked it in the center of the garage and placed it on my larger jack-stands. It was at that point I realized that my main floor jack required service because I had reach the maximum height of the jack but not high enough for the max height of the larger stands. Went to the Truck which I carry the same floor jack and used it to finish that job.

Put everything back in the truck and off to harbor freight to purchase the Jack fluid for their brand sold there, Got back home serviced both floor jack and the engine hoists before I realized that, I was running out of daylight and closed the garage door calling it quits.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    Pearce likes this.
  15. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    Well, sometimes you know things are gonna require replacement. The Exhaust manifold from the 18RC was filled with rust, dirt and mud from the tip of the exhaust manifold to the middle of the exhaust system just before the muffler. I cut the exhaust in the middle of the truck to remove the front part of that system.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well I may be using the transmission that came with this truck for a short period while I search for the correct W-50 transmission cross member. I have to modify quite a bit of stuff and replace. Example the hand brake transition where the front cable connects to the rear via a stand welded to the center of the current cross member will have to be repositioned if I were to add any kind of plate and brace for the W-50 transmission mount.

The L-40 transmissions rear mount is two bolt and differs from the W-50 which uses four bolts to mount it to the cross. Different length drive-shaft will be required.

Exhaust system replacement required

So now I have my California shopping list for used parts. I think I will just install the replacement 18RC pictured earlier within this build.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  16. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    Started to assemble the final pieces of the engine run stand to re-test the 18RG since it has been in storage for such a long while.

You know,to kind of short cut the install/repair process, only to find out there is a problem and then have to work out the issue in a tighter spot in the engine compartment. Not!!!

Mounted a Celica/Corona engine cross member to the run stand (Can't remember which car this was sourced from) I have a transmission bell housing to mount to the rear of the stand after I use the engine hoist to raise it into place. I have to fabricate the mounting point or placement after I have everything semi connected.

Had to stop in all of this to see daughter and grand-kids today so I guess I'll get back to it after the Turkey is all gone..

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Pearce likes this.
  17. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Not sure how the RG differs from the R in terms of mounting and length BUT il tell you i had a L43 on my truck when i got it and swapped in a W58 and i used the stock driveshaft

74RN22 likes this.
  18. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    Same mounting and no additional odd stuff, W-58 huh, did you have to do anything with that cross member?

jetas likes this.
  19. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    That i did, i had to move the mounting point back some inches. I eliminated the e brake tho.

20. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    Pearce likes this.