Found someone building my dream Hilux...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Perkolator, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Thought you guys here would appreciate this one

I don't do Instagram but the other day I was farting around image searching Hilux-related stuff trying to find pics of Hilux with body kits/flares/etc and I found an obscure pic of a Hilux going under the knife that caught my eye, so I investigated...which brought me over to the Instagram World where I discovered this current/2019 build of a friggin awesome 1973 Hilux.

I'm excited because it's pretty much the same concept of what I've been wanting to do to my own 75 Hilux for the last two years -- mate the truck with a Lexus SC400. My idea was to take the F/R subframes out of the SC and adapt them onto the Hilux chassis...but these guys went a different route and basically chopped everything off the SC to drop the Hilux body onto the SC's unibody "chassis". They lengthened the cab a few inches (very nice idea) and I believe they HAD to cage it in order to bring back some structural integrity due to not having a real frame underneath.

I think I'd still go my original route and put the subframes on the Hilux, because I think there'd be a lot of weight savings (perhaps not, but Hilux is over 1000lb less curb weight) but also I'd want it to be more of a "sleeper" and not see a roll cage sticking out through the cab (if I had to I'd likely make it look like a lumber rack hahahaha).

Anyways, here it is: https://www.instagram.com/medallionpicante/?hl=en

I try to save cool Hilux pics on a Pinterest page too https://www.pinterest.com/theperkolator/hilux/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Erwin Merida likes this.
  2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Been following that dude since he started that build. A lot of work went into that thing and it looks DOPE.

@vagueIndustries on IG finished one up not that long ago and @toyoyota_widebed is building another dope one, dude has a sick fckin celica too @1jzra21

3. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    That one is not to bad even tho the stance is a little much. The bed turned out dope. I remember that guy hitting me up on ig asking about my fenders. He said he was going to be hacking them up for his widebody. The vag one I liked at first just because it was the first one I had seen. When I first got my truck my vision was a widebody. Now I could care less. I do have plans on doing some big mods. But I want to keep it looking mostly stock. There great looking trucks. Especially if you have an early one.

I did recently stumbled across a 1st gen build I like by drift works. Mx5 front and back subframe. I like the idea of the mx5 frontend. I might ultimately end up doing something like that in the future.

4. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Yeah the stance is definitely a bit much for me too. I’ve seen that MX5 swapped 1st gen, that thing is sweet. I can appreciate the Vague Industry Hilux but I’m not so much a fan of the wide body fenders and cut hood they settled on.

Jetas- I’ve seen a pic of that widened Hilux from toyoyotawidebody - had no idea there were more pics of it!

not like I need to go looking for projects right now, I just got my Delmont back earlier today from it being at a shop all summer. I think I’m gonna send my Hilux over to him next to take care of a few things.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    Pearce likes this.
  5. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Oldsmobile? My brother has one. I cant remember the year. Just know it's an 88 425.

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Yea vaugeindustries did his first truck with the twin turbos but they just did one that they stretched and widened for some Ford event

7. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I like the beams build on here. That one is very well done. The others are pretty sloppy. That front support on the Lexus build is no looker. The crownvic is something people do all the time with other vehicles. So it's not bad. It's just slapping a body over the frame. I saw it on hotrod garage and thought about it. Glad someone did it. I will not be. That wide cab is super weird. I think something like a tube frontend and a jag rearend would be the thing to do.

8. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    I’ll have to see if I can find the build but I saw a Datsun pickup build a few years ago that the whole front clip had this sick custom framework going on behind the fenders and grille, to hold everything together after they chopped out a bunch of stuff like the inner fenders and whatnot. That’s how they should have done the front end on that Hilux.

Pearce - yes I have a 1968 Oldsmobile Delmont 88 convertible with a hybrid 350/455. Was my dads project car for the last 25yrs that I inherited when he passed. Yesterday was one of the like four times I’ve ever seen it run - now it not only runs but it’s safe to drive

9. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Nice that's awesome. I was helping my brother move some of his cars the other week. But to my disappointed I didnt get to drive the delmont.

10. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    So what Delmont does your brother have? They're a pretty rare car, 1967-68 ONLY model of the 88 series. They came in convertible, 2dr hardtop and 4dr hardtop, 350 and 455 option.

11. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    He has the 2 door hardtop. I remember it being a 425 but I guess it has to be a 455. I remember something like less then 4000 made from what I read before.

12. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    So from what I read it's a 67 because it has the 425 and they offered it in that year.

13. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Yeah I forgot 455 came out in 1968, before then the 425 was the BBO

14. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Idgaf. I'd drive this sweet ass truck till it I ran out off gas.. then just refill!! Haha damn.

15. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    I just came across the Widelux!! 7.3 powerstroke hilux.. endless possibilities!

jetas likes this.
  16. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    That engine with ITBs would be AWESOME!