1. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    With the new engine I want to do some upgrades to the exhaust, so I ordered a new cat. My old cat was a high flow cat, but only 1.875", so I have a new one that is 2.25". I also got a wideband o2 sensor and gauge to see how things look. My last muffler was a flowaster 50 series, and was 2" piped, I am looking to go quieter and 2.25 or 2.5". Haven't decided which muffler to go with yet, but am wondering if I could get a side exit in front of the rear fenders.

2. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Won't going with a larger diameter pipe make your exhaust louder, not quieter?

One of the members in the 1989-94 forums (forgot who) did a side exhaust that exits through the driver side bedside in front of the wheel. I like the look and may do the same. Interestingly, our pickups are constructed perfectly for it. There is a big space between the bed floor and the top of the frame rail right before it kicks up for the rear axle clearance.

3. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    I would say keep it 2.25" not 2.5". When I had my 22re-t truck that's the size that was recommended to me by several shops I called around. I believe they said I'd have slight power loss at 2.5" noticeable at take-off, but might be better at highway only. It was a 4x4 so I wanted the low-end.

On my 22re truck I upgraded things after my CAT was stolen. Had shop cut off the downpipe about a foot away from the Y and go up to 2", with a 2" high-flow CAT, then to 2.25" the rest of the way with a Magnaflow round can and out the stock position. It's surprisingly quiet for how open it is but definitely not as quiet as stock.

Definitely possible to have exhaust exit in front of the rear axle, in my opinion it's louder than stock though even with a cat and muffler on it, I think just because it's so short and also likely because you're going to hear it more from the cab. Here's an example of a truck I've seen locally that had a side exit exhaust, his was pretty loud though, I think becuase he had the v6 and a Flowmaster and like a 3" pipe. I think owner went by NorCalSVX or something like that on YotaTech forum many years ago[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  4. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Oh, thats good advice! thanks man. I know a lot of the guys on the rte forums say 2.5, but yeah, I figured 2.25 was enough down to the cat. I measured the output of the CT20 when I had it out, and I believe it was 2.25". I ended up doing some research and decided that with the turbulence that a cat can cause, it doesn't hurt to expand after that. I ordered a Flowmaster 70 series at 2.5", should be a bit quieter than my current 50 series even at the larger size.

That does look like a 3" pipe, but that looks nice. Looks like their exhaust hangs a little low though, I hope to get mike above the frame rails just in case I decide to go lower at some point.

5. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Fully clear on the front end now.
    20191006_134226_HDR[1].jpg

I've started paining the "new" doors that I have had lying around. I think I will spray bed liner the interior of the door to match the dash and be wear resistant.

6. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    I think his exhaust was as far tucked up as could be managed on that truck. On a 2wd you don't have the t-case in the way so in theory you should be able to tuck pretty far up there. Curious to hear the 70-series, I haven't been able to find any clips of Toyotas with the "quieter" Flowmasters yet

7. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Yeah, I never paid attention to the size of the new muffler when i bought it. I guess for the 70 series to be as quiet as it is, but flow so nice, it has a giant chamber. I am not gonna fit a side exhaust exit with the length of this thing. I can tuck it, but it will have to come out the back.... somewhere....

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  8. Justin Danger

Truck:
    I brought in my exhaust parts this morning to the shop, and things are going to get welded up on Monday! let this truck breathe a little better!

I'm not sure what this guy thought of my truck, but then we popped the hood and I showed him what i've done to the engine. He said that he was originally gonna have one of his guys do it this afternoon, but after seeing how much respect the engine got, he will do the exhaust himself and put some good care into it. That gave me warm feelings... and not just because I burnt my finger pointing out the 3 bolt exhaust flange at the end of the turbo's downturn.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  9. Justin Danger

Truck:
    New exhaust is in, and boy does it flow! Much quieter, and a better spool on the turbo. Exactly what I wanted.... and a cool exit pipe trajectory.
    20191026_143746.jpg

10. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Got the PLX wideband set up roughly and tested it, things are testing round 13.3, far short of 14.7..... so now to figure out what to do knowing that.

11. Justin Danger

Truck:
    I spent some time in the parking lot at work today working on some gauge wiring. I've got the boost gauge in the dash to the left of the steering wheel again, and both the cooland temp and AFR gauge in a cluster on the dash board.

After replacing my O2 sensor with a new Denso one, my AFR is looking good at idle. (Don't mind the coolant temp, i need to re-route the signal wire)
    20191105_222235.jpg

12. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Cockpit with new gauges and all.

20191106_075601.jpg

20191106_075550.jpg

20191106_075627_HDR.jpg
    Need to clean up the interior and put the driver side door panel back on, but this beast is starting to look nice.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    jetas likes this.
  13. Justin Danger

Truck:
    So in the theme of having a truck always under the wrench, I decided to get a new shock setup. I haven't used my truck as a work truck in a while, and don't think I will be carrying a lot of heavy loads in my future, so I decided to ditch the coil overs with variable compression to compensate for heavy cargoes. The Monroes that I was running were kind of springy, so I decided to go stiffer.
    After days of staring at spec charts comparing lengths and end mounts, I came up with a setup that I think will work nicely. My truck is lowered, so I wanted to find a shock that accomodated my situation, which means that any universal fitment guide would be completely wrong. My final decision was to go with Monroe 911050 shocks in the front and Gabriel G63299 shocks for the rear.
    Both sets of shocks that I went with are intended to stiffen the ride and eliminate roll, while still allowing for full traction. Corner gonna be fun....

jetas likes this.
  14. Justin Danger

Truck:
    New shocks are in, and they are so nice. The previous system was great when loaded down, but springy when not carrying anything. The new shocks are stiff and nice when turning. While I was down there I also installed some lower profile bump stops.

20191117_130617.jpg
    Both shocks had the thickest diameter of any shock that this truck has seen

20191117_130725.jpg

I also decided to snap a couple pics of the exhaust, here is the exit:

20191117_130752.jpg

Piping from the turbo flange is 2 1/4", the Cat. is 2 1/4" welded in with a v-band clamp in front:

20191117_130829.jpg

One of these days I will take her somewhere for a photo shoot, I was scouting an abandoned auto shop around here recently.

15. Justin Danger

Truck:
    I've taken her on the highway now a couple of times, and I get a real bad grinding/slipping/ticking/chirping noise coming from the trans somewhere between 45 and 55 mph under load. I don't like it! no clue what the problem could be. I do know that when I bought the truck it had waaaay too much trans fluidin it, and I never changed that level, now I am running what looks good on the dipstick. I wonder if it is the wrong dip stick and that "proper" levels on it are actually much too low.

I'm also finding that the rectangle headlights just don't look righ to me, I am going to back to round headlights, and will do a little improving over the old system. I will keep the LED bulbs from the new headlights, but switch over to a 5 3/4 round Hella housing.

I got LEDs in the front bumper and turn signal lights, and they are nice and bright. I still can't find out why my tail lights don't work, I may just start at the neutral start safety switch and work my way until i reach the tail lights.

16. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Have you checked the u-joints?

17. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    also since it's an xcab, check the driveshaft center carrier bearing

jetas likes this.
  18. Justin Danger

Truck:
    All U joints and carrier bearing were recently replaced. The noise comes with a loss of power, so it leads me to things transmission or torque converter.

19. Justin Danger

Truck:
    I have had the interior bed walls out for some time, and finally got around to sizing up some aluminum replacements.
    20191217_093151.jpg

20. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Arent those beds double walled already?