Questions and General Thoughts on Beach Bumming it up in Hawaii.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by duckyaz, Feb 6, 2010.

1. duckyaz

duckyaz Veteran

so, 2 of my buddies and myself are planning on moving to hawaii for like 6 months and just being beach bums. we think it will be a good life experience. we just plan on living on the beach and hangin out down there. we're not sure yet which island we should go to though. also, we will need to buy the necessities like deodorant and razors and toothbrushes and stuff like that, but i get paid $820 a month by the Department of Veterans Affairs for my disabilities i acquired while i was in the military. we figure for the most part we can eat fruit and stuff that grows down there and if we want to eat other stuff, we will have the money from the VA. we're not like hippies or anything, just a few young guys that want to do it for the life experience. our plan is to ride a bus to california from arizona and get jobs washing dishes or something like that on a cruise ship for the ride to hawaii and then either doing the same, or using money from the VA or buying plane tickets on a military flight or something to get back to cali. which island would be best suited for that and what do you think of our plans?

2. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    dude...im totally down. lol. i was gonna do similar but just train hop and post a sign on offramps when i need cash. i met a kid in vegas that was passing through. about my age. he did that for a few years. it was cool. i nearly joined him.

3. duckyaz

duckyaz Veteran

we had a buddy that hit like every state except hawaii. he even made it to alaska and all he did was hitch hike and worked little odd jobs if he needed money. it's wild. but yeah, that's our plan. we're tryin to get a hold of cruise lines and stuff to see if workin for a ride or something is even possible.

4. suncomb1

suncomb1 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1983 Toyota SR54x4 Mojave Edition-Black Package Shortbed Sport Truck
    I just got back from Hawaii about 2 months ago. There were 20,000+ people living on the beach on the leeward side of O'ahu. There is about a 40% unemployment rate and I saw people eating out of trash cans in Waikiki. The cruise ships arriving are down by 47% and many stores have closed. People are living in the parks using shopping carts to carry their belongings. The place is still expensive though. The North Shore was nice and we watched great surfing. I was in Hawaii 40 years ago and we were in the same hotel, Royal Hawaiin, I stayed at while waitng to go back to Nam, still a beautiful place. Hey man, go for it, you only get one time around.

5. Badlux

Badlux Enthusiast

Truck:
    87 xtra cab
    If your thinking your gonna hike around, live on the beaches and eat fruit like some kind of tropical island get away then sorry, aint gonna happen. $800 a Month...I hope your friends got some money.

6. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    make an umbrella mount for your bed of your truck, so you can park ze truck in the sand and chill in the back

7. oahu grown

oahu grown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 Extra Cab
    True that. Its not like how the moveis make it out to be.

8. KYNgsx

KYNgsx Enthusiast

Truck:
    89 2wd
    Can't you just take a vacation for a few weeks like a regular person? I'd recommend that, but I don't think you'll get too many endorsements for being a bum from those of us who actually live in Hawaii. What you're suggesting (bringing money and hanging with bums) doesn't really sound safe either.

9. duckyaz

duckyaz Veteran

i didn't say hang with bums. i don't actually even mean that we are gonna be bums. and we don't think it's gonna be some awesome vacation. the whole point being it will be a life experience. but we do plan on livin on the beaches. we know it will be a lil tough at times, but that's all part of the experience

10. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.