#HarrybuildsaHilux

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by hambler, Mar 22, 2018.

1. KS.ID

KS.ID Enthusiast

Truck:
    RN22 1972 Hilux
    How did the dash cap fit? Thanks for posting that picture of it, not too many pictures online.

2. hambler

hambler Member

Truck:
    '74 hilux short bed
    Guess I never did post a write-up on that, did I? haha If fits great tho! I'm so impressed by it, I always forget its even a cap. Super easy to install and improved to overall look of the interior immensely.

3. hambler

hambler Member

Truck:
    '74 hilux short bed
    Well, it got real this weekend. Finally sunk my teeth into this build. We got the engine/torque tube/trans/dif on the chassis table at "ride height", and then cut the cab until it fit. I think we're gonna drop the body another 1.5" relative to the engine/trans, and then can always adjust ride height and wheel fitment with the coilovers later. All the time we spent with a tape measure paid off, and we wont have to cut the bed up at all for this. I plan to still use this as a truck after this build is "done"

Attached Files:

Perkolator likes this.
  4. hambler

hambler Member

Truck:
    '74 hilux short bed
    Few more pics of the progress. Still struggling with the best way to post pictures on here.

Attached Files:

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    What drivetrain is that?

6. hambler

hambler Member

Truck:
    '74 hilux short bed
    2013 Corvette grand sport. Dry sump LS3 (which we are adding an LSA blower to and e85- hoping to see over 600hp at the tire), z06 tr6060 manual 6 speed trans and matching differential. We're also using the control arms, uprights, brakes, etc. We're trying to use as much of the mechanicals from the corvette as we can, just narrowed 12" and shortened 4" to fit under the stock Hilux body. Should be pretty fun, building it to run in drag week 2019. Hoping the truck will run low 10's in the 1/4, but after drag week I'm gonna set it up as a daily driver/road course car.

jetas likes this.
  7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Dude thats guna be insane

8. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Dayum. I want that too!

Curious what a 5yr old Corvette donor vehicle goes for?

9. hambler

hambler Member

Truck:
    '74 hilux short bed
    That's the plan! :eyecrazy:

Not as bad as you might think if you buy right, but still a lot more than I paid for the Hilux itself:shrug:. We got ours from Copart and it was wrecked in the right front. We watched the site like a hawk for awhile until the right one came up. Our donor car was listed as an automatic which kept the price down, and then we are selling a lot of desirable parts off the car since it's a grand sport. You'd be surprised what Corvette guys will pay for things like trim pieces and fenders and stuff. At the end of the day I'll have A LOT less money in this drivetrain than if you bought the drivetrain by itself, for relatively little work of taking a corvette apart.

10. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    Where did you find one? So jelly...

Fooking A swap man, oof!

11. hambler

hambler Member

Truck:
    '74 hilux short bed
    They're super weird to find on ebay, one day you'll search all day and not find them and then the next day they just kinda show up. If you use the search "Toyota Pickup Dash Cover Cap 72 73 74 75 76 77 78" on ebay they should show!

Dan McBoost likes this.
  12. hambler

hambler Member

Truck:
    '74 hilux short bed
    I realize updates haven't been very frequent on here, but I have been slowly getting things done. We have about two months to drag week, so we're definitely getting close to crunch time. The main frame structure is pretty much done at this point, next we need to build the exhaust, cage and the new floor/firewall. After that its basically just assembling everything. Hard to believe this entire package is going to fit inside all stock body panels. We might have to tub the rear wheel wells a little bit to clear that 295 in the back, but I think we can do it in a way that you wont be able to tell. Other than that it will be stock hood, stock fenders, stock bedsides, stock bed floor, etc. I'm starting to get really anxious to drive this thing!! looks like an rc car.JPG drag pack.jpeg drag skinny.jpeg meat.JPG one of my favorite shots.jpeg Not sure if I like these rims.JPG all the tire.jpeg transaxle is a little tight.JPG

Perkolator and jetas like this.