1. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    The rattling sounds like it is coming from all over. I do have an older valve cover that gives me a lot of clearance for ARP studs, and should give the rockers ample room. I didn't check oil pressure, but I know that oil was circulating, but I can definitely investigate that further.

As much as it sounds like it seizes at the end, I could still rotate the crank my hand with average effort.

I'm away from the truck, but when I am back I will look into the temp sensors and oil pressure.

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Detonation maybe

3. Justin Danger

Truck:
    I was able to get the engine running again, but had the same rattling noise. It seemed to be less severe at higher RPMs, but eventually I was only holding 900 RPM with the pedal to the metal. I'll check the TPS and other sensors.

4. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Oh, and oil pressure was normal

5. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Did you set/adjust valves with engine hot? My 22R sounded like a diesel engine when I was goofing around and "adjusted" the valves cold... Bexame nice and smooth after dealer tuned it up and adjusted valves correctly (I hate fiddling with hot engine parts).

If your engine isn't seizing up then sounds like a fuel issue. Fuel filter clean/new?

6. Justin Danger

Truck:
    You are spot on correct in assuming that i adjusted the valves cold. I can hardly get the engine to run long enough to heat up. But i can always try my best to get it warm and re adjust.

I was also thinking of replacing the fuel filter. My dumb as figured that it was relatively new, and probably good enough to transfer over.... guess i will replace.

7. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    Just putting it out there, your fuel is not contanminated with water, diesel, stale, etc? And the cam timing is correct, fireing order is right?

8. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Well I am running quite low on gas, and it has been sitting there for a couple months, so I am gonna flush and refill that, thanks for the heads up on that! I have no idea how much condensation got in there during the cold times.

I also came up with a little piece of information that I was missing. I kept coming back to valve lash with the rattling sounds I was hearing, and know that that was the first and last thing that I checked. But BUT I then pulled out my cam card:
    20181210_131056.jpg

So I was adjusting my valve lash to spec from the manula, and it appears that I was adjusting my exhaust valves too loose. Factory is .012, but my cam wants a .010, so I will be grabbing some more gas, adjusting this, and seeing how that goes.

Thanks for all of the help to all of you! This is a big job, and I wouldn't have even conceived of doing this without you folks! so cheers to all and a big thanks, keep on truckin'

9. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

Thought you had a VVT-i phase diagram there for a sec, I was like wut.

10. Liquidhandwash

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    Just another thought, we have mud wasps here that like to bulid nests in exhaust pipes, just check its not blocked with rubbish, or bent. If your not sure take it off and run the engine.

11. Justin Danger

Truck:
    I readjusted the valves, and most of that rattle is gone, I just want to adjust them hot now which is going to be a problem if i can't get the engine to run long enough to reach operating temp.

Timing should be near spot on, firing order is definitely correct.

The engine kinda runs now. Runs fairly smoothly at rpms above 2k, but that requires putting the pedal to the floor, anything under 1500rpm and the engine shakes, if I let off the gas it dies. I guess now I have to figure out if it is fuel or air that it is not getting. Check sensors maybe? still at a loss.... I'll try to get a good video now that the rattle is mostly gone.

12. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Check the vacumm lines

13. Justin Danger

Truck:
    checked, double checked, referenced, and confirmed. As with wiring , fuel, and coolant lines.

14. Liquidhandwash

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    To check If its staving for fuel you can spray some aero start down the intake, and it should improve the symptoms, then check fuel pressure, and blocked injectors. If it makes it worse, (too much fuel) check your sensors and airflow meter. You can also use it to check for vacuum leaks, spray around the intake gasket, and the engine will rev up if there is a problem. Im starting to think, you may have a bad fuel pump, or regulator giving you low pressure.

15. Justin Danger

Truck:
    wow, all good tips, thanks! hopefully this weekend I can find some time to play around!

Fuel pump and regulator are definitely high on my list to check, cheers for the help

16. flacostaco

flacostaco Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87 pickup
    side note did u use a jumper to do the timing? I know that on efi trucks you need to use a jumper at the fuse block under the hood to get correct timing but on a carburetor you do vacuums

17. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Dude, I can't even get the engine running well enough to set the timing propper

18. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    honestly bro i really want to tell you to dive back in there verify that your base timing is correct.

Are you using a fuel pressure regulator?

19. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Working on a setup for a fuel pressure gauge. If fuel psi checks out, I am thinking of having my fuel injectors sonically cleaned and rebuilt. If I get impatient, I might send them out anyways, something I have thought about doing for a while.

20. Justin Danger

Truck:
    without the ability to run the engine long enough to properly set timing, the best I can do for timing is to set the 1st piston to TDC, then line up the distributor to that.

jetas likes this.