20R Valve cover baffle gasket?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Henry, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Henry

Henry Enthusiast

Puled my valve cover today and decided to give it a deep clean. I even removed the baffle to clean behind it after years of build up. Does anyone make the gasket for the baffle? I have a valve cover gasket but not for the baffle itself.

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Rockauto has them. But i think ive only seen it with the valve cover gasket set

3. Henry

Henry Enthusiast

Rockauto did have them. Had to buy a full valve cover set but having a few extras isn't a bad idea and at $7 it's not a big deal.

Thanks for the heads up.

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Yea for the price it aint bad plus you might as well change the VC gasket anyway. Mine has leas than 2k on it and its already leaking

5. Henry

Henry Enthusiast

Which brand did you buy?

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I dont remember exactly but im almost sure i had gotten the "complete" gasket set from LCE for the 20R.

7. David Woods

David Woods Newbie

OEM is actually a formed rubber seal that has raised sides for sealing. Do not expect form-a-gasket to work. The OEM style gasket is getting hard to find.

If this gasket leaks it means that during deceleration with throttle plate closed/maximum manifold vacuum condition, the vacuum will pull crankcase vapors directly into the intake manifold like there is no PVC in the circuit. On a long hill descent at highway speed a huge cloud of blue smoke will billow behind until you tip the throttle, then it will clear. The spark plugs can be clean of oil and the compression and power good but there will be high oil consumption without signs of leaking; as in a quart every 500 miles.

I was having a hard time sorting that dx out but removing and inspecting the vc baffle told the story. The PO apparently couldn't source the proper baffle gasket and used silicone form-a-gasket to fabricate one. A leak between the separate chambers means that full manifold vacuum will be applied to the crankcase vapor pressure at all times. A catch can won't help unless the baffle barrier is re-established.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  8. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    ^^Good bit of important info.