Shifter bushing

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Ivey, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Ivey

Ivey Veteran

Truck:
    1976 Toyota Hilux
  2. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    I have a 88 with short trow shiftier from LC those use there's which are different from the stock parts,but look the same.

3. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Try marlin crawler. They have 2 different sizes. I ordered both and used the one that fit (don’t remember exact one).

4. Ivey

Ivey Veteran

Truck:
    1976 Toyota Hilux
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    When i had the L43 on mine i swapped the bushing, made a big difference. Never actually drove the truck with that tranny tho.

Ivey likes this.
  6. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    In your search did you come across one for a w50? My shifter is super sloppy

7. Ivey

Ivey Veteran

Truck:
    1976 Toyota Hilux
    So if you go to that shifter bushing marlin crawler link they have two bushings, one for the L43 and another for other transmissions. That will probably fit your w50 shifter (the other one not the L43 one). You don't need the rubber bushings but you do need a shifter seat. MC also has those but I'm not sure which one you need for the w50. The MC site actually has some really nice guides based on your transmission:

https://www.marlincrawler.com/transmission

Looks like there are a couple w5x transmissions listed but that should get you going.

Edit: here is the link for the seat: https://www.marlincrawler.com/transmission/shifter-parts/heavy-duty-seats

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  8. Ivey

Ivey Veteran

Truck:
    1976 Toyota Hilux
    Well that was a bust. I pulled off the shifter to find the PO had replaced the bushing already. Oh well win some, lose some. Now on to the rear axle seal.

9. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    If you’re talking about the seal on the axle shaft(s) you better plan on buying new bearing(s) as well. There’s no way to replace the seal(s) without doing the bearings at the same time.

Ivey likes this.
  10. Ivey

Ivey Veteran

Truck:
    1976 Toyota Hilux
    I think I'm just gonna deal with the transmission as is for now and just keep my eyes out for w50 transmission to swap in. Its leaking all over the place and I'm pretty sure the syncros are going.

11. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Truck 5spd trannies are usually easy to come by. Having 5th is nice TBH

12. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    W58 is an easy swap. If you source a W50 (hard to find), be sure it includes the shifter. Shifter alone is impossible to find and is unit specific to the W50. No other shifter will fit.

13. Ivey

Ivey Veteran

Truck:
    1976 Toyota Hilux
    Huh didn't know they were that hard to come by. Will I need to move the crossmember for the w58 swap?

14. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    I believe so, toward the rear end. Also think the shifter location comes out in a slightly different spot and you have to trim the floor a little. There are a few swaps mentioned here you can search for.

15. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    I have the W55 ( manual 5 speed) out of my 88 Extra Cab, works & shifts fine,remove & swapped out for a W58
    because of a noise in 5th gear .
    Had pulled two years ago & paid $675 to have rebuilt, & I was there while opened up, all the gears & shafts were clean, no chipped teeth or bluing on anything, but the noise was still there.
    After doing the swap noise is gone which leads me to believe no new parts went in & I got burned!!
    Any way I used my bell housing & tail shat housing on the W58, so the W55 has the W58 rear housing losing bolted to it & no bell housing or top shiftier. $200 as is.
    I'm in Nor Cal.

Ivey likes this.
  16. Ivey

Ivey Veteran

Truck:
    1976 Toyota Hilux
    Thanks for the offer! I'm in Portland, Or so that would be a bit of a drive. I'm gonna check out the local junk yards and see if I cam come up with anything. If not I might take you up on that. Maybe I can convince the wife to make a trip out of it ;)

17. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    The W58 I bought was $850 ,I paid $800, as drove to get it , while researching for one seems a lot were $1000 & up.
    A completely rebuilt tans from Marlin Crawler ( the best Toyota trans people) runs around $3,500 if they have a core that is rebuildable.
    I went with the W58 over anther W55 because a good Mini Truck friend recommend it has made that swap on 3 of his trucks. It is a little higher geared.

Ivey likes this.
  18. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I lucked out when I picked mine up, $100

Ivey likes this.
  19. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    I know this is an old thread but did you check your shifter interlock?
    Many times when people do fluid changes they remove the wrong plug to drain the tranny. The shifter interlock plug is on the side cover(6 o’clock position) facing straight down. The drain plug (L43 transmission) is at about 3 o’clock on the transmission itself (close to the bell housing). The reason I ask is the interlock plug has a spring seat with a ball bearing that sits on top of the spring. This firms up the shifter and prevents excessive movement. If some drained the transmission using that plug and lost the ball bearing it would make the shifter very sloppy.
    Unfortunately, the only way to check is to drain the tranny then remove the interlock plug and see if you’re missing this ball bearing. The ball bearing itself is approximately 3/8” in diameter or 10mm if you need a replacement. Believe it or not Walmart sells them in a pack or you could contact Marlin Crawler. I’m sure they can send you one.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    Ivey likes this.
  20. Ivey

Ivey Veteran

Truck:
    1976 Toyota Hilux
    Very interesting I've got a pretty bad rear mainseal leak so I'm filling the tranny all the time I'll check it out next time I'm down there and report back!