Updated gauges

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by nottoshabi, Nov 11, 2018.

1. nottoshabi

nottoshabi Enthusiast

I would like to change the gauges, and install a tack in the place where the gas and temp is. Which means I will be replacing those in the area where the radio and ac/heat dials were.

Has any one changed their gauges on these trucks? I have never done this job before so I'm trying to get an idea of what i'm getting my self into.

My speedometer as of right now it does not work. It worked in the past, there is a oil stain right in the middle of the dial so I'm thinking the cable is no longer good. I will need to be replacing that. I know the corolla and corona ran the same transmission so the speedometer cable might be different.

If any one has done this job before, what kind of gauges did you use? Have you changed the speedometer cable?

2. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Not sure what year your ride is, but I completely changed out my gauge cluster.
    I got another stock unit & made up what I wanted,all gauges are electric with a sender at the trans for the speedo.
    This was a lot of work & $, you may not want to go this far,but it shows you what you can do.

Attached Files:

3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Speedhut GPS speedo/tach combo. I still want to get the quad gauge set up they have for the oil,fuel,volt,coolant temp to swap the left side of the cluster

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KS.ID likes this.
  4. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    TruckAction, what sender did you use for the trans speedo? I have been doing some research, and it seems like there a few ways people do this, but most seemed kinda hodgepodge to me.

5. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
  6. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Cheers man! Thanks Truck Action

Good luck with the gauges nottoshabi. I have a VDO coolant temp gauge, and had to put some effort into finding the right sending unit for it. I found two with the right resistance range for the gauge and thread pitch to install in the manifold. They were, however, different shaped probes; one was fat and short, the other was long and narrower. I bought both to see which fit. 8 months later I finally was sent one, and gave up on the other. Luckily the one that I did get works just fine and dandy. I am looking into an oil pressure gauge, so am trying to find what psi range I need for these engines for the gauge itself, and then what sort of sending unit I need.

*GPS weirds me out, so that is why I don't just go that route.

7. nottoshabi

nottoshabi Enthusiast

@TRUCK ACTION I have 78 hilux. @jetas I like what you did there. How did you go from analog to digital? What connector did you use? I was also thinking of splicing the wires from the existing gauges of water and gas to the new gauges. So I can place a tach in that space. Is that possible?

jetas likes this.
  8. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    I used the senders that came with the gauges & did splice into all existing wires,all soldered & shrink wrapped.
    I had to cut the brake light & engine check light indicators from the stock circuit board & fit them into the panel, have to have in Cailf. for smog check.

9. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    The only thing that was needed for the speedo/tach was power, grounds, tapping into the parking lights and wiring to the neg. side on the coil. The Autometer temp gauge where the radio goes just needed the temp sending unit at the engine and the power and grounds

10. nottoshabi

nottoshabi Enthusiast

This is what Im thinking of doing. Were you able to connect the heat the and gas with out a problem? Im worried older trucks had less voltage then the newer gauges and wont read accurately.

11. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Heat & gas??
    For the fuel gauge I used the stock sender plate & fitted the Autometer sender with float.
    As for voltage, doesn't better how old, a 12 volt system should be just that. A good battery & alternator should keep a steady 12 volts.
    In my case I have two air compressors ,& two amps & electric fan, so I run a very large battery & high out alternator.

12. KS.ID

KS.ID Enthusiast

Truck:
    RN22 1972 Hilux
    Speedo cable to the transmission gets tossed?

13. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Yup, no speedo cable to worry about, GPS antenna is mounted up by the rear view(its magnetic). I can change tire size and not have to worry about the speed being off. Only issue i had was figuring out the antenna placement for best functionality after that there have been no issues. Plus the gauges are customizable

14. Justin Danger

Truck:
    does the GPS sensor have it's own battery?

15. nottoshabi

nottoshabi Enthusiast

Can you please let post the part number, or place you got the gps antenna from?

16. KS.ID

KS.ID Enthusiast

Truck:
    RN22 1972 Hilux
  17. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    The GPS antenna gets juice from the gauge which is powered by the vehicle.

And yea thats the one^^