want to install electronic ignition distributor in 74 Hilux with 18R

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Jim Thompson, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson Member

Hi, I want to install an electronic ignition distributor in my sons 74 hilux with 18R engine, I have been unable to find anything to fit it, Pertronix and others dont seem to make a kit for it....what have you guys done ? I really want to get rid of the points and condenser.also, Pertronix said if I could get numbers off of the distributor housing they might be able to help, I cannot find any numbers on it, there was an old sticker that was unreadable, if anyone has numbers please help...I think it is the nippondenso distributor, it has the adjustment knob

2. P Le

P Le Newbie

Truck:
    1973 Hilux
    I'm actually in a similar situation (74 Hilux w/18R)...looking for ignition coil replacement. I read people posting MSD and Pertronix Flame Thrower, but I cannot find the part number. I'm leaning towards the Flame Thrower. Can someone who has bought one let me know what the part number is? (Will the PerTronix 40011 Flame-Thrower work?)

3. Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson Member

I called Pertronix technical support 909 547-9058. They helped me with the Pertronix kit to replace the points, haven’t received them yet, but give them a call they can help you

4. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
  5. P Le

P Le Newbie

Truck:
    1973 Hilux
    I called Pertronix regarding what model ignition coil should I get for my 74 18r. They said there is no way for them to look up the Spec for my truck, however they did say that the Flame Thrower model 40011 is for 1.5 ohms, and the 40511 is for 3.0 ohms. I found out later that my truck stock ignition coil is about 1.4 ohms (Primary), which means the 40011 model is the one I will buy.

KS.ID and Jim Thompson like this.
  6. Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson Member

Well cool