Pulling 20r

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by mr-bubble66, Sep 20, 2018.

1. mr-bubble66

mr-bubble66 Member

I’m going to be pulling my 20r to put all new seals and timing chain and all . What’s the best lift points ? I think I read in the Haynes manual to wrap around the engine . Is this right?

2. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    You should have two hooks attached to the cylinder head. These are for lifting the engine. If you’re not doing rings and bearings I’d leave the block in place and just remove the head. When I did mine I left the intake and exhaust manifolds attached and lifted as a single unit. It’s much easier to remove these items once they’re out of the truck. This way you only have to detach the exhaust pipe, timing chain from the camshaft and any auxiliary attachments.(and the head bolts).

3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I put the chains on mine at four points on the head. Pulled it with the trans attached.

Shit was fun

4. Smugmetal

Smugmetal Member

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    Planning to pull the bad engine from my truck this weekend. What's the consensus (not that there really ever is one on anything on the internet) as to pulling the engine with or without the manual tranny? Every published source I've found says to pull them together, but I've seen some people say it can be pulled without. So it can be done, but will it damage anything in the process?

The donor truck I pulled the replacement engine from last year was done without the tranny, but it did release a bit violently and chipped the crank pulley :brickknock: We used the hooks on the head and now I'm concerned with the possibility of the head being damaged from it.

I just want to keep the things I have to take apart to a minimum haha. It's bad enough I'm learning all this for the first time.

5. mr-bubble66

mr-bubble66 Member

When I pulled mine I pulled both together because i got fed up trying to get the top two bolts holding them together off. I had the a30 automatic transmission in mine though and I had maybe two inches between the trans and the front clip .

P.S it started with me just pulling an engine to me doing a frame off resto :eyecrazy:

6. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    My problem wasn't with taking the engine out, I did that one piece at a time. My problem was trying to put the engine back in. It was dang hard to get off of the lift at the same angle to slide onto the shaft off of the trans. If I did it again, I would definitely try it with the trans attached to the block still.

7. Smugmetal

Smugmetal Member

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    Good point. I was wondering how hard that would be. I've seen some people say you need a decently tall lift to get the engine + trans out together. I've only got a standard engine lift. I at least have a leveler for my lift that should make the angle part manageable.

8. Kolt

Kolt Newbie

So I’m in the process of pulling my 20r out without the tranny coming too and I have a good solid 2 inch gap all the way around (from tranny to engine) but the engine will not budge anymore, and yes everything is disconnected. Any thoughts?

9. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Is the trans crossmember removed? Itl come out, just gotta keep lifting it pulling slowly, sketchy as fck but I was able to get it out by myself.

Kolt likes this.
  10. Smugmetal

Smugmetal Member

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    I had the same problem. Ended up disconnecting the motor mounts at the frame instead of at the motor bracket. The stud on the motor mount that inserts in the bracket on the engine prevented it from breaking free for some reason

20200223_073936.jpg

11. Kolt

Kolt Newbie

Yes motor mounts are disconnected, it’s acting as if the tranny shaft has rust or something on the end keeping the engine from coming any further

12. Kolt

Kolt Newbie

I’m trying to pull the engine without the tranny attached, so the trans cross member is still all hooked up, I’ve tried pushing on the clutch to see if that’ll loosen something up, but no luck, the engine is hanging from the hoist with a 2in gap all the way around from tranny to engine

13. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Put a jack under the transmission and lift it up (slowly). Keep trying a little at a time and see if that works.
    You may have do do a combination of lowering engine/ raising transmission.
    If that doesn’t work, try sliding a piece of 2x4 between the bell housing and the block and use for leverage. Go equal on both sides of the transmission shaft.
    It’s important to remember you need to support the front of the transmission when removing the engine. The transmission will want to drop down when the bell housing bolts are removed.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  14. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Read this completely wrong.

Did you pull the radiator out? Can you see if the trans input shaft of completely out of the engine?

15. Kolt

Kolt Newbie

Okay, update! Got the engine out. Problem was seized pilot bearing on the input shaft of the tranny not letting the clutch come out with the engine. I had to drill a 1 1/2 hole in the bellhousing of the trans to fit a socket and extension to remove the clutch from the fly wheel, I will find a plug to cover the hole. Thanks for the help!

Smugmetal likes this.