Autocross beater

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by White Trash, Sep 30, 2013.

1. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Nope I haven't even ordered the parts yet. Right now I'm just driving the tires off the truck going back and forth to work.

2. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    For the last few months I thought I was dealing with a carb issue. As I had a few minutes and some motivation I'd tinker with the carb lowering the float or just going over the settings since I'd occasionally appear to flood out on right hand turns. It would also appear to load up coming off the highway once I was down to surface street speeds.

Fast forward to last week when it hydro locked when I was starting it leaving work. Bumped the key a few times and got it to spin and fire. It took a bit to clear the cylinders but it cleared up and ran fine with normal power on the way home. I pulled the plugs the next day and all 4 look like crap and #1 & 2 were wet. Hit the key and blew about half a cylinder of coolant out the #1 hole. :lol:

Not sure it's a head gasket, I'm leaning towards a bad intake gasket or corroded intake manifold allowing coolant to be sucked in and puddle up in the intake. I never really went through much coolant, maybe half a gallon all summer but I attributed that to forgetting the fan at stoplights etc.

I should have time this weekend to figure it out. In the mean time I'm rocking my dad's 84 x cab 2 wheel drive flat bed. I miss my truck driving this thing. :ROFL:

3. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Leaning towards upping the game a touch while I fix the truck. Going to go with a delta cam with matching springs and big valves with some heavy port work at the minimum but thinking about a few other things as well. I have all the stuff to do power steering on the truck but I'd have to buy another lower pulley for my lce under drive set or just buy another complete underdrive set and sell my current single pulley set. Also considering going efi. I can trade a stock carb and intake setup straight across for a complete efi unit off of a truck identical to mine. The drive ability would be nice for sure.

jblaust likes this.
  4. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Screw it, the old engine is getting fixed until I can yank it out for a beams & 6 speed. Ordered a factory head gasket tonight, gotta pull the head to get it to the machine shop when I have a minute.

jblaust likes this.
  5. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Finally had the time to get it apart. I think I found the issue. :ROFL:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is where it failed between #1 & #2 straight to a water jacket.
    [​IMG]

Head looks fine but it's headed to the machine shop this week to be sure. Also trying to con myself into a bigger cam, we'll see if I do it or not. :lol:

6. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    It's been a while i have the truck up and running again.

Dads truck had a compression issue so the timing had to be severely retarded or it would ping like no other since the head was decked too much but it would clear up with 93 octane.

I picked up another 22r long block a month or so ago for $200 that had a fresh head, metal backed timing set, oil pump and bearings. The guy was hunting for the cause of the timing chain rattle when started but got frustrated. Well he didn't think to use a filter with an anti drain back valve so yay me! :rofl:

So 2 weekends ago i put the engine i bought into dads truck since he cant hear spark knock so his truck is up and going very well. I put his old engine in my truck last night and she rips once again.

7. unclejesse

unclejesse Newbie

I really want to see you go beams, I've been keeping up with the beams/240 buildup in the pre 1975 section. it would be interesting to see it fit in an 89-95

8. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Funny you mention that... I was talking to my boss this am and somehow we got on the topic of me putting a beams in my truck. He wants me to put one in his samurai and in trade he will buy one for me for my efforts. He knows my weakness is horsetrading so it shouldn't be too long till we get this deal done.

9. REDZ

REDZ Enthusiast

did this deal ever materialize white trash?

10. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Not yet, we were busy getting ready for harvest and now we're balls deep in it until November. I've done more research and it's looking like an mr2 oil pan is rear sump which simplifies life. That was the only real hurdle I'd come to with no easy solution so I'm happier now.

11. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

Here's a beams 3sge question I've been pondering.
    People have swapped V6 5vz-fe into mk2 MR2's. The motor will bolt up to the E153 mr2 trans. The 3sge obviously bolts to the E153. So in turn, will the 5vz bellhousing bolt to the 3sge. Will it be possible to use that bellhousing to bolt a w58 to the 3sge?:thinking:

12. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Interesting idea. The issue would be the bellhousing. Even if the 5vz could bolt in place of a 3sge that doesn't make it bolt up to a W series trans since R series (3-5vz are R series) has a different bolt pattern on the face of the transmission.

Another thought is why would you want to bolt a 3sge up to a W58? I like my W58 a lot but the 6 speed that comes behind the 3sge has the same overdrive ratio as the W58 but it has a nicer split in the middle to keep the engine in the power band.

13. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

I'm considering the beams 3sge for a swap into my 81 starlet. I prefer the w58 for fitting (shifter placement) and I have 5 spare w58 laying on my garage floor at the moment.

I assumed the 3-5vz manuals were w-series transmissions.

14. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    The shift rail on the 6 speed is easily modified. That's my plan for the truck so I don't bang my knuckles on the back of the cab. :ROFL: