6 lug Conversion

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by one2sho, Jul 4, 2017.

1. one2sho

one2sho Newbie

Truck:
    1987 Toyota Xtra Cab SR5
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone has or knows how to perform a 6 lug conversion? My truck is a 2wd toyota & I want to change it to a 6 lug toyota pattern.. Any input will be greatly appreciated.. Thanks..

2. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    WHY?

6lug vs 5lug goes beyond just the # of lugs, the parts themselves are slightly different. I suppose though you could technically convert it.

Easiest way is likely wheel adapters, but you need space and the right wheels to make it work. For an actual swap at a minimum you'd have to swap out your rear inner axles (but I'd do the whole housing).
    For up front i believe the spindles are the same between 2wd and 4wd so maybe you could simply swap out the hub assembly and get your lug conversion.

3. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Spindles and wheel bearings are waaaaay different.

Axle shafts can be swapped out back in some instances but an earlier rear axle from 79-85 is a better candidate although the completely different e brake setup would need to be sorter out.

I've seen Mazda mini guys swapping toyota hubs onto their trucks to get the 5 on 4.5" b olt pattern so there is some crossover. I've seen guys wanting to do 6 lug 2wd before and it still doesn't make a shred of sense to me but hey, I don't have to deal with the headache. :ROFL: