4speed L48 series ?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by durdeedann, Jan 20, 2017.

1. durdeedann

durdeedann Newbie

Truck:
    81 hilux
    I was looking online for what feels like forever. I was wonder if anyone has a specs. for the L48 4 speed ? And if so what 5 speed transmissions could I bolt up without any mods?

2. Sk1dmark

Sk1dmark Enthusiast

Truck:
    1977 Toyota Pickup, (SOLD) 1974 Hilux
    If I remember correctly, and please if I'm wrong guys correct me, but the W-series transmissions will bolt straight to it. As far as L48 specs, I can't find anything, but if you take the trans out find them yourself! It would be an easy thing to do and would help any number of us out there wondering the same!

3. durdeedann

durdeedann Newbie

Truck:
    81 hilux
    What's the easiest way to find out the gear ratios ?

4. Sk1dmark

Sk1dmark Enthusiast

Truck:
    1977 Toyota Pickup, (SOLD) 1974 Hilux
    Well if the trans is out of the truck, you can count them up yourself. It's a mathematical ratio, so 4th gear is almost definitely a 1:1 which means one turn of the input shaft is 1 turn at the output shaft. To test that you can put it in 4th and manually spin the input shaft one full turn, and watch how much the output shaft spins. To test the other gears, spin the input shaft and see how many turns it takes before the output shaft goes one full turn. If it takes, for example, 2.5 turns of the input shaft to spin the output shaft one full rotation, then that gear has a 2.5:1 ratio, or just 2.5. It's not going to be a perfect example because gear ratios get to like the third decimal place but it'll give a good idea. Does that make sense?

5. durdeedann

durdeedann Newbie

Truck:
    81 hilux
    Ahhh okay , see I didn't know that . I'll definitely do that but it'll have to wait until I get a 5 speed .

6. tacobo670

tacobo670 Addict

Truck:
    94 Base
    if u are definitely sure its an "L-series" trans, check out Marlincrawler.com they have a chart for all kinds of Toyota transmissions with ratios. im pretty sure ur L48 is there

7. durdeedann

durdeedann Newbie

Truck:
    81 hilux
    IMG_5406.JPG I checked and couldn't find it . Here check this out , Im not sure I'm reading it right or I got my information wrong

8. durdeedann

durdeedann Newbie

Truck:
    81 hilux
    I was reading another forum and they were all Toyota mobile homes and trailers, like the dolphin and the chinook. They mention the L48 . I'm thinking it came stock with that trans out the factory??? IMG_5431.PNG

9. tacobo670

tacobo670 Addict

Truck:
    94 Base
    well then, i guess its a L48 lol

95% of the times the W/G/L series trans will all bolt up, all inter-changeable with the R-engine. just the rear trans mounts and shifter location might be slightly different.

other difference will be in the clutch/input shaft, the 2wd and 4wd have different spline counts, different size flywheels and/or clutch assemblies will be needed to match.

someone correct me if im wrong