Misfiring and dropping rpms

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by chello671, Jun 27, 2016.

1. chello671

chello671 Member

Truck:
    91 Toyota Hilux
    What up guys so i cant figure out these problems. The first one is i hear my motor misfiring and im not to sure what to check or if i got a bad distributor or a fuel issue maybe i just need to be pointed in the right direction.

Next problem is from time to time when i drive and say i come to a stop at a traffic light when im downshifting my truck would drop its rpms to like 200-300 for example today i was driving back to work and i was downshifting to a stop light and as i was going my truck died out didnt even let the clutch go or anything still in 1st gear and i just died out so im not sure what is causing that if its a fuel issue or what if anyone can point me to a starting point that would help alot, thanks in advanced

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    How are the plugs, cap, rotor, fuel filter?

Carb or EFI?

3. chello671

chello671 Member

Truck:
    91 Toyota Hilux
    I changed plugs and wires, the cap and rotor seem ok but that's where I'm needing to be pointed in the right direction I'm not 100% sure if my distributor is even good or its going bad. Haven't checked the fuel filter yet.

My truck is efi, its a 91 2wd

4. tacobo670

tacobo670 Addict

Truck:
    94 Base
    wats up chelu
    so when ur truck starts acting up, is it hot? like, is it up to temp?
    my truck almost does the same thing. it stumbles, and acts like it wants to die. idles really low. but then again, i have alot of mods done.
    i got 94 2wd efi.
    on my setup, i think the block/rings are just old. running on an engine with 220K+ miles. time for a rebuild.

my other friend had the same almost similar prob. when his truck would get hot, up to operating temp, his idle would drop down. (especially with the AC on). sometimes die. we just bumped up the idle (idle screw) little bit and prob was fixed. he has 91 2wd efi

5. tacobo670

tacobo670 Addict

Truck:
    94 Base
    mite be the pressure reg could be going bad. sounds like mite be a fuel issue, cuz when u slow down, getting off throttle and rpm, little bit fuel cut happens.
    could also be the air meter, the flap door/contacts inside it. if u messed with nai.
    if the flap door closes too much, it could cut the fuel at idle. idk man, just throwing some ideas out there

6. chello671

chello671 Member

Truck:
    91 Toyota Hilux
    That's what my prim was telling me that the pressure reg could be going out, or maybe fuel filter is going bad or maybe fuel injectors. Were gonna check them out and see whats up but your guesss was my guess to chelu thanks for tha advice umbe! Appreciate it

7. 1-2many

1-2many Newbie

Great insight cause same symptoms here

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017