Mikero's 90 Yota

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Mikerocosms, Jul 25, 2014.

1. jblaust

jblaust Veteran

Truck:
    1994 Pickup Standard Cab Base 22RE Manual
    Nice truck...I just added power lock actuators as well. I dont have switches though. They just work with the alarm. I want to swap my mirrors to the same mirrors as yours.

Mikerocosms likes this.
  2. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    Yeah I really like my mirrors, especially since they are powered. Just keep in mind that if you don't do the whole armrest panel control you'll have to find a place for the power mirror switch. It does have a lip so you can cut out a square somewhere on your dash and or center console (if you have one) and it should snap in.

P.S. The switches for the locks were just added because I was doing the whole armrest panel control and it would look weird if there weren't power lock switches. But now that I have them it is nice to be able to just unlock to let someone out without either of us having to do it manually. It's more of a luxury feature.

3. Sound.Vision.Soul

Sound.Vision.Soul Toyotaholic

Truck:
    93 Pick up I6 Turbo
    Good work man! Keep it up! :cool:

Mikerocosms likes this.
  4. nottoshabi

nottoshabi Enthusiast

Sweet work man. Can you tell me where did you get the power window and door actuators. I would like to do the same to my truck. Also I don't have an alarm do I need to get one of those in order for the doors to work?

Mikerocosms likes this.
  5. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    Thanks! Yeah the power windows came off of an sr5 model with power windows. I got mine for dirt cheap off ebay but you can probably locate some at a local yard.

The power lock actuators, I got from amazon. They are just typical power lock actuators. When I started off I just did an alarm system at the same time. For a while that was the only way I had them working. Then I decided to add a switch like most modern cars have nowadays. You can do it one way or the other. You don't need an alarm but you would need to connect them via switch. To wire it, they would be very similar to how the power window is wired. I'd recommend just wiring it how the driver side switch is on my diagram (far left switch only) forget the other switches. Then just split the blue and white wires to the actuators. That's the easy-peasey way to do it.

If you need any help just gimme a shout here I'll help you.

6. nottoshabi

nottoshabi Enthusiast

I have been doing some research since I have been reading this page. Do your door actuators have relays?

7. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    Oh yeah I forgot about that. Yes, look at the pdf called "door lock actuator". Doing it that way means you will need a three pin switch and since it is a negative pulse setup you would ground the center pin. The the other two pins will get the negative pulse when you press the switch either up or down. So then you route those wires to the negative lock and negative unlock positions on the relays. That will control the polarity for the actuators. It's a pretty nifty way to do it.

8. Kirk

Kirk Member

Hey bro hope all is well I've got a 93 extra cab that setup want work right? Meaning the door panel,or did you just take the speaker part and the arm rest of that door and left the panel

9. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    Yeah I removed the speaker pod, top rail and arm rest from the Tacoma panel then retrofitted it onto my 90's door panel.

The arm rest part is the same as what 4runners, Tacomas, and SR5 trucks used around those years. If you look at the mounting holes and line them up with what is on the trucks door you'll see that there is a squared out blank area that does not have a square hole punched out for the clip that reaches the hole on the arm rest. I drilled it out then used files to make a square for the plastic clip and was able to mount the armrest there.

This is a fairly complex retrofit so take your time.

10. Kirk

Kirk Member

K thanks for the info and the power window Does your setup have any mechanism that stops the motor from running once the window is completely up and your still holding the up button?

11. Kirk

Kirk Member

Hello was reading your posts not the tranny my truck is a auto tranny and I'm installing a manual tranny but I dint have a Speedo cable for it can I use any from a 90s 4runner if I can't find any trucks like mine to get one off of.

12. 1-2many

1-2many Newbie

Love the power window addition and your switches location. Very clean.

Mikerocosms likes this.
  13. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    so i just did all this and having an issue with lights on the arm rests. Where did that wire go(black & Orange). i have everything connected correctly but when i hook the Black and orange wire to the one on my truck the lights go dim. I have tested the connection and when hooked up it both wires have power going to it. Im assuming that wire has to be some sort of ground or something like that. i took everything from a 91 4 Runner.

14. Thomas johnson

Thomas johnson Member

Truck:
    1990 Toyota pickup
    I did this same alarm in my 90 with power locks reverse light assist and good pin was pretty easy. Next I'm doing a remote start.

Mikerocosms likes this.
  15. Thomas johnson

Thomas johnson Member

Truck:
    1990 Toyota pickup
    Did u use ur factory core support

16. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    I'm not sure. The cable might be short. If it's not it could work. I remember Oriely's used to sell a speedo cable replacement kit. But it has been a while and I can't find it now.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  17. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    Are talking about the red lights on the door that turn on when you open your door?

18. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    Yes I did. If I remember correctly I used the grill with only a few of clips to line up my headlights.

19. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    Yes

20. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    Ok if I remember correctly I used one of the constant positives and then tapped into the negative when the door opens trigger.