Cluster Problems!

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by Christian Escobar, Dec 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Christian Escobar

Christian Escobar Member

i have a problem with my cluster, and i need a new one, i can't get none of the information that its support to send me!! i don't know how fast I'm going, i don't know how much gas i have witch is a bitch. Since I'm replacing the cluster I'm wondering if the cluster from a tacoma would fit my 95 pickup? I herd the tacoma has an rpm gauge, which my stock cluster does not have. any advise? or is there aftermarket cluster similar to stock? any advise?? Thanks!

2. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    Tacoma cluster will not fit, i believe they use a digital signal vs ours which is Cable to drive the speedo. If you want an RPM gauge search for SR5 toyota pickups or toyota 4runners. Just make sure they have are driven by the speedo cable. Also you would need to swap over Oil senders as well.

3. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
  4. Robert m

Robert m Addict

Truck:
    '94 single cab, 22re, 5spd
    92-95 pickups and 4runners are NOT cable driven speedos. They went electric in 92. The swap is not hard and it doesnt matter if the donor was a 4cyl or v6 as there is a dial on the side of the tach to adjust it but obviously you need a way to read RPMs to set the tach. You might also have to tag into the negative side of the coil to get the tach signal and run it into the gauge wiring. I had to when I did the swap.
    Yes, you do need the oil pressure sender from the one with the gauge or else you will burn up the gauge as soon as you turn the key.

5. Christian Escobar

Christian Escobar Member

nice, my mini does have the electric speedo censor, thanks for the heads up guys :waytogo:

6. tacobo670

tacobo670 Addict

Truck:
    94 Base
    do some research on "cluster swap"
    i swapped mine (stock 94 2wd 4cyl) to a 4Runner SR5 (V6 with tach)
    fits perfect. just need an oil pressure sender -not a switch- so the gauge will read. and since mine came from a V6, i had to adjust the little dial -found the How-To on Youtube (like Robert m said)
    both had electric speedo.

7. KingBouyah

KingBouyah Member

Don't mean to hijack, because might help the OP as well, but how do I know whether my truck is one of the lucky ones pre-wired for a tach? Other than just attempting the swap, does anyone know for sure?

8. 90DailyDriven

90DailyDriven Veteran

Truck:
    90 standard cab 2wd short bed
    Does your truck have a tach? Thats probably the best way to figure it out.
    [​IMG]

9. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    I believe every truck equip with the 3vz has the tach wire built in and some of the 22re trucks may have as well...

10. KingBouyah

KingBouyah Member

I've heard that some 22re's do and some don't. Mine is a 92 22re base with no tach. And yes, if my truck had a tach, i would know whether it has the wire for one. I'm assuming it doesn't because it wasn't wired for a glove box light, lighted cig lighter/ash tray, and as best i can tell it isn't wired for ac either, but i need to poke around more to be sure.

11. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    But I want to say all the body harness are the same....just for the 22re motors you will need to adjust tach screw or run a resistor. Look at the link I posted from yotatech.com. That post has tons of info about the install