1981 22r clutch replacement 2wd

Discussion in '1976-1983 Pickup Discussion' started by Dompadjudu, Nov 22, 2016.

?

Replacing a clutch? Pull engine or transmission?

1. Engine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Transmission

100.0%
  1. Dompadjudu

Dompadjudu Newbie

Truck:
    1981 Toyota Pickup Sr5
    First the goods:
    IMG_20161021_150723.jpg
    So for the past few days I've been having to rape my gears in and floor f*** my clutch:runaway: , so I parked her. Now I've been driving my girlfriends 89 Volvo brick.:brickknock:
    I mechanically inclined and just need to know what's the best way to change my clutch? Pull the engine or transmission :duh:
    I don't have a lift , but I have an engine hoist , and stand. I have 4 half ton Jack stands. Just wanna know what's the fastest and safest way. Also a small guide on what I needs to take off will be much appreciated.:bowdown:
    Thanks in advance:bow:, guys or girls (if a mini truck loving female is out there)(cause you the real MVPS):clapping::drunk::applause:

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    drop the transmission.

Dompadjudu likes this.
  3. Dompadjudu

Dompadjudu Newbie

Truck:
    1981 Toyota Pickup Sr5
    Thanks, what all should I watch out for apon removal? Just drive shaft and bolts holding the transmission in place?

4. Dompadjudu

Dompadjudu Newbie

Truck:
    1981 Toyota Pickup Sr5
    Ok thanks , just need some days off but for now she sits received_342716096090752.jpeg

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Have lots of extensions ready for the top 2 bolts, unless you have ratcheting wrenches and girly hands and can get to em from the top

6. 22R88

22R88 Veteran

Truck:
    1988 Reg Cab Deluxe RN50
    What Jetas said !! Did mine last Christmas and the top two bolts are bad but when you take off the trans mount and allow it to drop down the bolts will be more visible and easier to get at. I replaced the rear main seal and installed a LC engineering seal saver on the crankshaft and replaced the transmission front seal while there... Not a oil leak anywhere a year later. I used the Exedy street clutch from LC as well.

22R88

7. Steve M Clark

Steve M Clark Member

Truck:
    1980 SR5 short bed
    DO you have no clutch or it won't release, if it won't release check your master/slave combination , it's usually the slave. New master about $8-$22, slave new about $4-$20 rebuild kits available here to but why bother for the price. rockauto.com

8. 83SR5LB

83SR5LB Member

Truck:
    83 SR5 LB 2x
    Ditto on the seals, also, instead of 3m scrub/pad to rough up the flywheel for better clutch surface on the flywheel, I had my mech install a heavy duty flywheel from rock crawlers, all new rubber boots, clutch slave, etc. do it once.
    Also, used a rock crawler red nylon shift bushing and shaved off .030 for a hand fit...shifts like butter.