Differential options for 7.5" Rear End?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Seven Faux, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Seven Faux

Seven Faux Newbie

Truck:
    86' Xcab Long Bed, 22r
    Okay, I have a 86' 22r Xcab Long bed 1/2 Ton with a F302 Rear end in it. According to forum browsing that means I should have a 7.5" 2 pinion, Open Rear, with 3.73 gears. I am working to get the truck to be capable of the occasional drift event (stupid, I know), so ideally I need something that is not an open diff.

The only thing I was able to find as far as a Limited Slip that I could drop in was this >Truetrac Limited Slip< from LCE. Supposedly I can also grab the diff out of an older Celica/Supra as some of them had 7.5" rears with LSDs but I have read conflicting information as to what would bolt in and what would need fabrication. Theoretically I also swap my rear to the 1 ton truck axle which is an 8" rear and has a couple more LSD options. Has anybody here tried any of these or am I missing another obvious solution?

Also, I'm thinking of swapping my W56 to a W58 coming out of an 82' Celica. I saw that some of the members on this forum had it done this swap and really appreciated the taller gearing. Thoughts?

2. Da_Roach

Da_Roach Toyotaholic

Truck:
    (1) 92 RN80 (1) 2002 RZN150
    The W58 swap is great I think. Done it to both my trucks and the taller 1st and 5th is great for city and highways driving when you go to differenter wheels

I'm in the middle of swapping from a 7.5 rear with stock gears and going to an 8" from a 1ton with a supra LSD and 4:10 gears. From my reading for the little I get to drive me trucks it will really wake them on a roll while on the highway. I think your on the right path just do lots of reading and score parts as you find them.

3. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Lsd's from Mk2 supra for 7.5" and mk3 for 8".

I love my w58. I have it backed by 4.10's and it cruises 70 at 3150 rpm. The 1-2-3-4 shifts being closer together makes it much sportier on the track too.

4. 22r

22r Veteran

Truck:
    Your best bet is to swap it with the 8" rear. Installing a spool, grizzly locker or something equivalent. 7.5" rear ends are plenty strong, but if your gonna abuse it (drifting, burnouts, donuts) i highly recomend the 8" for longevity. Hope this helps.

5. trying2learn

trying2learn Newbie

Truck:
    88 pickup 22r RWD longbed deluxe model
    Anything new on the swap? also looking at swapping my f302 (88 pu) for something a bit bulkier and was wondering how it went. did you find an 8" LSD with the same 3.727 gearing?

6. Nineteen86

Nineteen86 Member

Truck:
    86 xcab
    i too would love to know this. i have a bad axle shaft on my driver side, and have been looking for a replacement of some sort. whether it be a complete rear end swap or if i can find a shaft from someone....lol

7. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    How did the shaft go bad? Just out of curiosity....

There is a better option on the Truetrac. I'm not sure where it is, but all the info is in my build thread.

I love LCEngineering, but if you do your homework, the Truetrac can be had for a few hundred cheaper.
    I run one in my 7.5" with 26 pounds of boost, and have had zero problems with it.

8. Nineteen86

Nineteen86 Member

Truck:
    86 xcab
    Honestly, i have no idea. i think it may be a bearing, or a bent shaft. im not quite sure, but i have a wheel wobble from just the rear driver side of the truck. My father and i lifted the rear of the truck, put it in gear, had the wheels moving, and watched the wheel move up and down and all around. so that kinda makes me think bent shaft. but also becuase when i bought the truck it had a make-shift flat be on it which kinda leads me to think of rear end collision. but again, i do not know.

9. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    I gotcha. You could (if you haven't already) pull the wheel off and swap it with another. Then just to verify again, get a magnetic mount runout gauge and measure the wheel mounting face while spinning it.
    I can imagine that must be frustrating.

10. Nineteen86

Nineteen86 Member

Truck:
    86 xcab
    Hmm. I'll run that by my dad (also my mechanic). But we've also done a test going down the road to figure out the wobble. He said it definitely only comes from the one side. And I've had this wobble through 3 sets of wheels.

Litneon likes this.