75 SR5 - Ground Wires - Where Do The Wires Go???

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by Busted Knuckles, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles Member

The truck was having issues with electrical and lights. When I put on the hazards, they blinked. Put on the headlights and hazards, the hazards come on but won't blink. Put on the headlights, the running lights were dim, and the rear passenger turn signal and front turn signal stayed on.

So I cleaned all the grounds inside the engine compartment. Cleaned all the lights and the the grounds/bolt/nuts in the light assemblies. The running lights got a bit brighter, the front turn signal worked, but that was it.

But then I found a white ground wire on the rear driver's side near the mudflaps and exhaust pipe where the truck bed bolts to the frame. I had never seen that one before. Checked other years ( 73 & 76 ), and that ground isn't there. The white ground wire goes to the rear light assemblies.

Both wires look like they were put their by the manufacturer; they don't look like ad-hoc add ons, but I don't know..

I got underneath and saw all the rust encrusting the bolt. Sprayed Penetrating oil and set for a day. I could hear the rust crusting with the turns. The bolt just spins. Sprayed more penetating oil, and it's setting now.

The odd thing: There was another black ground wire along with the white wire, and the black wire was just up there, not attached to anything. I swung the black wire length around to see where it MIGHT attach, and he closest place I could determine is on the back of the mud flap attachment bolt ( See pic). But that bolt is rusted and hasn't had anything attached to it for years, if ever.

Is that black ground bolt even needed? I suspect it is, and it goes on the rear mud flap area. But it looks like it was NEVER attached, and why such an odd places for both the white and black grounds?

Attached Files:

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Mine is a 72.5 and it has a ground strap from the frame to the bed (passenger side behing the wheel)

Upgrade the engine bay grounds. Old wires get corroded. Also a lot of things on these grounded to themselves(you already know that) but the relays/control box things and all that ground to the body aswell through the mounting bolts.

3. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles Member

So I got underneath the truck and worked the bolts. Everything was rusted and seized. One bolt snapped, and the other took a lot of work, but came off.

I took a wired wheel to the areas and bushed off the rust for a clean connection.
    Then went to store and purchased galvanized bolts, washers, and nuts.

QUESTION: Are galvanized bolts, washers, nuts okay to used for grounds?

Or should I go with brass washers, brass bolts? Or a combination of brass and galvanized? Or????

Also take into account location: Rear wheel hub area where dirt/grime kick up.

Thoughts and opinions please.

Attached Files:

4. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles Member

I cleaned the ground wires, and attached the the white ground and one-side of the black ground to the body frame. ( Pics below).

A galvanized bolt, nut, and washers were used.
    Still need to attach the black ground to the mud flap area.
    ( The bolt and the flange were so rusty, that extra cleaning is needed. )

Attached Files:

5. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles Member

I forgot the reason I posted!
    What is the best practice for two grounds and ground attachments in general?

Should it be:

A) Ground wire to body: ground wire to ground wire: washer: bolt

B) Ground wire to body: washer: ground wire: washer: bolt
    ( Sandwich in washers between ground wires )

C) Something else

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Dont think it matters as long as the frame and body are clean metal and the ring terminals are too.